Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Can the Slender Man talk?

Go down 
+31
Cyanne
alliterator
FreedomCaged
Slender Walk
MediaGARBAGE
sloane194
Untaunted
littleWhiteRABBIT
apokAlypse
Linners
Shayde
Alder
LoveHopeRainbows
Seann
DaLadybugMan
BlackWolf
altiumvidetur
shadowfire976
paradoxmachine
Malus
ExorcistGamer
Mennos
Lero
Bio
CheckersValentine
Mr. Jeebles
Wintermarch
WhiteWolf
Zander
Konaa
Crusergirl
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ExorcistGamer
Watched
ExorcistGamer

Current Win Points : 143

Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 6:54 pm

SlenderManFan wrote:
I believe that if he talked he would only do it to comfort people.

Comfort people.

Comfort...people?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Mennos wrote:
It's kind of all a matter of opinion I suppose. Since different b/vlogs have different things surrounding him, it kind of depends on who you ask. I don't think he talks, he doesn't really need too.

Yeah it really depends on who you ask and opinion.

ExorcistGamer wrote:
SlenderManFan wrote:
I believe that if he talked he would only do it to comfort people.

Comfort people.

Comfort...people?

ASK THE PEOPLE WHO CALL HIM THERE GUARDIAN ANGEL! XD
Back to top Go down
Mr. Jeebles
Slendervet
Mr. Jeebles

Current Win Points : 750

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 9:53 pm

I couldn't care less if it's a matter of opinion, Slender Man is no one's "Guardian Angel". That is not the Slender Man, it's some disturbed overt fangirl's idea of a good time. He will in no way "comfort" anyone.
Back to top Go down
http://mrshittymarimo.tumblr.com/
Lero
Anxious

Current Win Points : 12

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 9:56 pm

Mr. Jeebles wrote:
I couldn't care less if it's a matter of opinion, Slender Man is no one's "Guardian Angel". That is not the Slender Man, it's some disturbed overt fangirl's idea of a good time. He will in no way "comfort" anyone.
Comforting was part of the MO as of Victor Surge. "We didn't want to go, we didn't want to kill them, but its persistent silence and outstretched arms horrified and comforted us at the same time..."

Last edited by Lero on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Malus
Taken
Malus

Current Win Points : 125

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 10:00 pm

Might I point out that they disappeared soon afterwards (or presumed to be dead; whichever one you prefer), Lero?

It's like Marlin and Dory from Finding Nemo when they see that light in the darkness. You could say they're comforted by it, and when they start to go near it... Well, if you saw the movie, you know what happens.

The angler fish tries to kill them!

So, yeah. Slender Man's 'comforting' is most likely a way to catch us off guard before he kills us/kidnaps us/the unspeakable.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Jeebles
Slendervet
Mr. Jeebles

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 10:26 pm

Yes, but a lot of stuff Surge has gone with isn't really considered part of Slender Man anymore. But what I was generally referring too was a nice Slender Man that comforts you when you're sad and is your "Guardian Angel".
Back to top Go down
ExorcistGamer
Watched
ExorcistGamer

Current Win Points : 143

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 8:15 am

Because calling Slender Man a Guardian Angel comes DANGEROUSLY close to H(a)unting territory. Let’s NOT have another teenage girl tackle hugging Slender Man.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 8:53 am

Lero wrote:
Mr. Jeebles wrote:
Comforting was part of the MO as of Victor Surge. "We didn't want to go, we didn't want to kill them, but its persistent silence and outstretched arms horrified and comforted us at the same time..."

Finally someone who knows what they're talking about...No offense to everyone else but Victor did say that.
Malus wrote:
Might I point out that they disappeared soon afterwards (or presumed to be dead; whichever one you prefer), Lero?

It's like Marlin and Dory from Finding Nemo when they see that light in the darkness. You could say they're comforted by it, and when they start to go near it... Well, if you saw the movie, you know what happens.

The angler fish tries to kill them!

So, yeah. Slender Man's 'comforting' is most likely a way to catch us off guard before he kills us/kidnaps us/the unspeakable.

Exactly, that would be the point of him having a voice. To make people feel safe but then kill them...It's a good way to roll in the kids. I'm not sure if that was your point but that's what i thought it was.

Mr. Jeebles wrote:
Yes, but a lot of stuff Surge has gone with isn't really considered part of Slender Man anymore. But what I was generally referring too was a nice Slender Man that comforts you when you're sad and is your "Guardian Angel".

I still find Victor Surge's stuff to be considered apart of it because it's a good place to start off with when doing vlogs and blogs, If it wasn't for Victor's stories Slender Man probably wouldn't have taken off the way he did which would've been a whole different story. I'm not apart of the whole "Guardian Angel" thing and i find it stupid, however i was using it as a reference as i couldn't remember what Victor Surge's quote was.

ExorcistGamer wrote:
Because calling Slender Man a Guardian Angel comes DANGEROUSLY close to H(a)unting territory. Let’s NOT have another teenage girl tackle hugging Slender Man.

I'm sorry that's funny, but as i said before in this post, I'm not into that whole thing so let's make sure none of us get into it...Slender Man fangirls who ruin him need to be burnt with torches and called witches, nuff said(I really hope i didn't offend anybody. If i did i will remove that part). And to those who care i wasn't completely serious with the whole teaparty thing, I would still however try to hug Slender Man. But I'm smart enough to know that he will kill me no matter what, unlike the fangirls of his.
Back to top Go down
paradoxmachine
Untainted
paradoxmachine

Current Win Points : 0

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 9:03 am

Lero wrote:
Mr. Jeebles wrote:

That was when Slenderman was dealing with children though. Perhaps he uses different tactics with different people. He knows to keep children calm so they won't run off screaming. He HAS to comfort them. Twenty something year old with cameras require a different method.
And no, I think a chat with the Slenderman would completely spoil him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 9:36 am

paradoxmachine wrote:

That was when Slenderman was dealing with children though. Perhaps he uses different tactics with different people. He knows to keep children calm so they won't run off screaming. He HAS to comfort them. Twenty something year old with cameras require a different method.
And no, I think a chat with the Slenderman would completely spoil him.

Obviously he would comfort children to lure them in, twenty year olds DO require a different methods which is why I stated that he would probably only talk to children if he was attempting to lure them in. I know you didn't quote me but i felt as if i should quote you and let you know if that was also pointed towards me.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Jeebles
Slendervet
Mr. Jeebles

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 12:04 pm

It's a public thread so it's pointed toward everyone. You're allowed to reply to someone even if they didn't quote you.

But on this matter, Victor's original stuff isn't really widely considered to be part of Slender Man anymore. He's evolved so much further than that. He does not only go after children, he has no face instead of many. Victor provided a basic template which was expanded upon exponentially.
Back to top Go down
shadowfire976
Untainted

Current Win Points : 0

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 2:10 pm

I TL;DR'd most of this thread, because I'm extremely lazy and it didn't seem all that important, though I did read most of the first page and all of the third, but apologies if this has been said. But the way I feel about it is that doesn't talk per se, but in a way he does. Sort of like telepathy, but, not. What I'm thinking is that he causes you to hallucinate in a way that would comfort you, coax you into whatever it was he wanted. Your auditory hallucinations are his voice, and he doesn't decide what the hallucinations are, they just take the form of whatever would comfort you (if anything). It probably wouldn't work on adults, but for luring children it would work fine. This may all sound really stupid, but it just sort of makes sense to me.
[/nonsensical ramble]
Back to top Go down
Malus
Taken
Malus

Current Win Points : 125

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Well, I remember reading one of the earlier stories that these young children (I think four or five) disappeared, and when their parents questioned their sister, she said that "the tall man had visited them last night, and had told them to keep him a secret" or something like that. The parents didn't believe her at first, though, because the boys' bedroom was on the second story.

I'll try and find the original source, unless someone else posts it here. But yes, there has been cases where Slender Man has been able to 'talk'.
Back to top Go down
altiumvidetur
Anxious
altiumvidetur

Current Win Points : 68

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 4:24 pm

I think that the Slender Man can't talk, but that mad people can believe he is talking to them. The problem with Slendy talking is that it allows him to be understood or have mechanisms for understanding. And you can't sustain an eldritch horror that is beyond our human knowledge or understanding if he could be interviewed.

I like the idea that the sound heard when people write or hear Slendy "talking" is actually a reflection of their own paranoia and neuroses. I see it somewhat as a coping mechanism for fear-- it brings the monster to a more human level. Though I do like some of the theories bandied about in this thread... hmm.
Back to top Go down
BlackWolf
Watched
BlackWolf

Current Win Points : 99

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 1:50 am

Lero wrote:
Maybe he can, but he doesn't. We're just so far below him, he sees no point in trying to communicate. Do you speak to bugs?

I do. I like to say hello to bees and grasshoppers, which are some of my favorite insects. To flies, I say, "Get the fuck out of my room!"

Don't judge me!

But hey, they probably don't understand me at all, which is likely analogous to us and Slendy.

Like many have said before, Slendy talking steals all mystery from him. From a short conversation or even a phrase, we can assume personality, motives, etc. This is why, IMHO, he ought not to talk. If someone could make it work though, I'd love to see what they come up with.

Personally, I like to think that he can, but one utterance from him would drive a human mad. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 5:28 pm

CheckersValentine wrote:
I suppose I phrased that somewhat badly, it's not that I entirely don't care what Victor Surge initially started the character with, it just that for me, slender man wasn't really created by a single person. Victor Surge had the basic idea, but the entirety of what slenderman is was created by the people who took that idea and ran with it. In the end, now, there is no pure answer to what Slendy is or isn't, as an effect of how he was created. For some canon's he talks, and for others he doesn't.

Oh. I understand what you were trying to say now...I agree with everything you've just stated...It's mainly a matter of what you decide not anyone else.

Mr. Jeebles wrote:
It's a public thread so it's pointed toward everyone. You're allowed to reply to someone even if they didn't quote you.

But on this matter, Victor's original stuff isn't really widely considered to be part of Slender Man anymore. He's evolved so much further than that. He does not only go after children, he has no face instead of many. Victor provided a basic template which was expanded upon exponentially.

Oh...okay Razz

It's really not considered to be apart of it anymore but i still keep it apart because if it wasn't for him we wouldn't even be having this conversation right(?). And he did, yepyepyep.

shadowfire976 wrote:
I TL;DR'd most of this thread, because I'm extremely lazy and it didn't seem all that important, though I did read most of the first page and all of the third, but apologies if this has been said. But the way I feel about it is that doesn't talk per se, but in a way he does. Sort of like telepathy, but, not. What I'm thinking is that he causes you to hallucinate in a way that would comfort you, coax you into whatever it was he wanted. Your auditory hallucinations are his voice, and he doesn't decide what the hallucinations are, they just take the form of whatever would comfort you (if anything). It probably wouldn't work on adults, but for luring children it would work fine. This may all sound really stupid, but it just sort of makes sense to me.
[/nonsensical ramble]

I do that all the time. I like the way you explained it and how you're putting it. He probably would but since Slender Man technically belongs to everyone he can do whatever our hearts desire..So pretty much we can do whatever we want to make Slendy speak- if we want him to speak anyway. They're a handful of people who really wish he'd stay quiet.

Malus wrote:
Well, I remember reading one of the earlier stories that these young children (I think four or five) disappeared, and when their parents questioned their sister, she said that "the tall man had visited them last night, and had told them to keep him a secret" or something like that. The parents didn't believe her at first, though, because the boys' bedroom was on the second story.

I'll try and find the original source, unless someone else posts it here. But yes, there has been cases where Slender Man has been able to 'talk'.

I read that, but as i said in many of my other posts. Slender Man does whatever we want because we all own our own...Which makes Slender Man an amazing and ongoing subject unlike most things.

altiumvidetur wrote:
I think that the Slender Man can't talk, but that mad people can believe he is talking to them. The problem with Slendy talking is that it allows him to be understood or have mechanisms for understanding. And you can't sustain an eldritch horror that is beyond our human knowledge or understanding if he could be interviewed.

I like the idea that the sound heard when people write or hear Slendy "talking" is actually a reflection of their own paranoia and neuroses. I see it somewhat as a coping mechanism for fear-- it brings the monster to a more human level. Though I do like some of the theories bandied about in this thread... hmm.

Now why is everyone saying that? There would be nothing wrong with Slender Man talking because he'd use it to lure people in...He's really not going to spoil his methods in anyway shape or form when doing so..Even if he does those people will eventually get eaten/killed by him.

I don't really like that idea but it appears many others do. I'm not sure but Slender Man can do whatever out heart's desire...I can't argue with that.
Back to top Go down
DaLadybugMan
Blackout
DaLadybugMan

Current Win Points : 488

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 6:48 pm

You guys are forgetting that this is already totally canon.

Okay, but seriously.

I like (and have used) the idea of "brainwhispering." Basically, Slendy doesn't talk. He can, however, sort of communicate through a form of telepathy that sounds kind of like a bunch of indecipherable whispers directly inside your brain. It's not coherent at all, and you sort of feel what he's saying, rather than deciphering it. Sort of like an aura. If he's trying to draw you in, you'd feel it as an attempt at comfort. If he's trying to drive you insane, you'd interpret them as a menacing intent. A very subconscious way of speaking.
Back to top Go down
http://slenderbloggins.net
Crusergirl
Stalked

Current Win Points : 74

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 7:02 pm

DaLadyBugMan wrote:

Okay, but seriously.

I like (and have used) the idea of "brainwhispering." Basically, Slendy doesn't talk. He can, however, sort of communicate through a form of telepathy that sounds kind of like a bunch of indecipherable whispers directly inside your brain. It's not coherent at all, and you sort of feel what he's saying, rather than deciphering it. Sort of like an aura. If he's trying to draw you in, you'd feel it as an attempt at comfort. If he's trying to drive you insane, you'd interpret them as a menacing intent. A very subconscious way of speaking.

This actually makes much more sense to me. I think its very easy to forget that we're animals too, and even if we ignore it most of the time, we still can pick up on what a person/eldritch abomination means to "say". Intuition plays a big part in our lives and when something deliberately messes with that core part of ourselves it makes us both vulnerable and creeped out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 7:45 pm

DaLadyBugMan wrote:

Okay, but seriously.

I kind of like that idea for some reason...It seems like this would be one of the best theories I've read so far.

EDIT: Is it bad that the link made me ROFL? I must go find Slendy and give him a shoulder rub...
Back to top Go down
DaLadybugMan
Blackout
DaLadybugMan

Current Win Points : 488

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 7:55 pm

SlenderManFan wrote:

Is it bad that the link made me ROFL? I must go find Slendy and give him a shoulder rub...

Not really. After all, this is the same blog that gave us Periwinkle Blue.
Back to top Go down
http://slenderbloggins.net

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 7:58 pm

DaLadyBugMan wrote:
SlenderManFan wrote:

Is it bad that the link made me ROFL? I must go find Slendy and give him a shoulder rub...

Not really. After all, this is the same blog that gave us Periwinkle Blue.

Is it really? I should read more of this creepy fangirlic like blog...

Admin Edit:
Thread moved from Slender man > Other Media
to Slender Man > Slender Man Mythos.
-Vivi
Back to top Go down
Seann
Anxious
Seann

Current Win Points : 31

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 3:30 pm

I like the way that Brighter than a Spoon did it, with Slendy using a human to speak for him.
Back to top Go down
LoveHopeRainbows
Anxious
LoveHopeRainbows

Current Win Points : 10

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 3:49 pm

I just had a really fucked up image come up in my head of Slendy thrusting his tentacles up someone's chest and using them to manipulate their voice box. Holy fuck. Nightmare fuel, we meet again.

Has anyone done this idea? If so, please show me where.
Back to top Go down
http://fearmythos.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Seann wrote:
I like the way that Brighter than a Spoon did it, with Slendy using a human to speak for him.

Yeah. That's a funny idea however. I don't believe I could take it seriously.

LoveHopeRainbows wrote:
I just had a really fucked up image come up in my head of Slendy thrusting his tentacles up someone's chest and using them to manipulate their voice box. Holy fuck. Nightmare fuel, we meet again.

I can imagine that. That's a great idea...I think yours is my new favorite.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Jeebles
Slendervet
Mr. Jeebles

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 5:04 pm

LoveHopeRainbows wrote:

It's called Independence Day... Slender Man will not have anything to do with Will Smith.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can the Slender Man talk?   Can the Slender Man talk? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Can the Slender Man talk?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next