Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff

HomepageHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Share | 

Building a slenderman prop

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stansnowman
Untainted

Current Win Points : 0

PostSubject: Building a slenderman prop   Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:07 pm

So, I'm working on a slenderman blog (down in my siggy).

I couldnt find a thread like this, so I started this one. If there is a thread I missed, then I'm sorry; dont flog me too much Very Happy

I'm trying to build a slenderman prop, and it seems like it's going to work fairly well. I'm making a frame out of wire clothes hangers because we've got 10^8 of them in the back of our closets that we're not going to use.... ever.... they're just taking up space.

After making the frame, which seems fairly stable atm, I'm going to make a "skin" for his body and head somehow, most likely stretchy white fabric and probably fill it with the stuffing from the inside of stuffed animals. Dont worry! I wont be mutilating hundreds of stuffed animals; I can get that stuff from hobby stores, but I cant remember what it's called.

For the suit, I'll be scouring the local thrift stores for two jackets and two pants. Two because I'll probably need two of each so I can cut the legs and arms off one and sew them on to the other one so they'll be long enough.

Does anyone else have any slenderman building ideas/tips? I might be going at this the wrong way and would love if someone has figured out a better way to build a slenderman Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ladnek
Watched

Current Win Points : 72

PostSubject: Re: Building a slenderman prop   Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:55 am

I would try to dye the white cloth just a little, as while Slender Man is pale, he's not a giant never-melting snowball in the shape of a man (isn't there a word for that?). I also doubt you'd need to cover his ENTIRE body in the cloth, just most likely the head (and hands, if your slendy is going to have them).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arsenicPopsicle
Untainted

Current Win Points : 8

PostSubject: Re: Building a slenderman prop   Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:32 am

You can probably get an old mannequin from any retail clothing store. Just go to your local mall and ask around. xD Tell them what you're doing, though, lest they think you're some crazy person.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dripsanddrabbles.tumblr.com
Crusergirl
Stalked

Current Win Points : 74

PostSubject: Re: Building a slenderman prop   Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:59 am

arsenicPopsicle wrote:
You can probably get an old mannequin from any retail clothing store. Just go to your local mall and ask around. xD Tell them what you're doing, though, lest they think you're some crazy person.

This will cost you OBSCENE amounts of money (sorry but $150 for a used mannequin is a lot for me) or they won't give it to you. Most retail stores get there "props" strait from the clothing company so they can't sell or give them away because they belong to someone else.
Also most mannequins are super heavy and awkward. Not to mention missing heads, arms and most of the legs. AND they are usually firmly posed in not Slender man like poses.

It may be different by you, but over here the cheapest suits are at Goodwill (about $20). Salvation Army has gotten kinda pricey in the past few years. So that could be hit or miss. But make sure you do some shopping before you just grab the first one you see. There may be a better one at another thrift shop.

The head is, I've found, the easiest to make. Go to hobby lobby and get a foam head and a shaver for said foam. The rest comes pretty easy.

Good luck to you my friend. This is quite a task your undertaking. And it takes some money and A LOT of your time to do it.
Now I understand why some people just went for the baghead. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stansnowman
Untainted

PostSubject: Re: Building a slenderman prop   Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:47 am

the frame seems to be working well for some clothes hangers soldered together. I've got the basic shape of the head and the arms made. I even found a CAD-type chart of a slenderman sculpture project that I'm using to get the proportions as close to normal as possible. Smile

I'm going to use the thicker hangers for hanging up pants for the legs, feet, and probably the torso if I actualy have enough. The face and arms are the regular ones since they're easier to mold and cut.

I'm going to be doing still shots of him, so I wont have to worry about making him move. I will have to figure out how to make him stand in the woods, though..... possibly some braces hidden behind his legs or something I can conceal. I'm still a good many blog entries from actually seeing him, so I have time to finish him and work out the bugs Very Happy

BTW, thanks for the advice to dye the cloth. I probably wouldnt have thought of that until after I got him put together..... then I'd have to take his skin off, dye it, let it dry, then put it back on. And I hopefully wont have to cover more than his head with skin, unless his suit looks like it's covering a wire frame. Hopefully that wont be an issure, but I'll figure that out when I get to it.

This may very well be a halloween prop somewhere outside as well. I'd love to see the neighborhood kids get scared off by a tall, silent, still, looming, faceless man when they come to my house in search of candy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arsenicPopsicle
Untainted

Current Win Points : 8

PostSubject: Re: Building a slenderman prop   Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:18 pm

If you're putting him outside on halloween, you know that means you have to be Masky, right? Like, sit on the porch all still and calm until they head up the driveway, then launch yourself quadrupedally across the lawn to bring the candy to them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dripsanddrabbles.tumblr.com
Crusergirl
Stalked

Current Win Points : 74

PostSubject: Re: Building a slenderman prop   Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:37 pm

arsenicPopsicle wrote:
If you're putting him outside on halloween, you know that means you have to be Masky, right? Like, sit on the porch all still and calm until they head up the driveway, then launch yourself quadrupedally across the lawn to bring the candy to them.

This is the best idea ever! And what makes it even better is that no one will have any clue as to what is going on.
Just like the first time any of us watched a Slenderman Vlog!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stansnowman
Untainted

PostSubject: Re: Building a slenderman prop   Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:15 pm

I dont think the world is readt for a fat masky, but the guys that play Jay and Alex in MH live seriously a couple hours away. MAybe I can bribe them to come to my place and bring Tim along....

....though with a smashed leg, I'm not sure how many kids he can chase Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Building a slenderman prop   Today at 5:49 pm

Back to top Go down

Building a slenderman prop
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Slender Man Series :: Blog Trailheads-
Jump to: