Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Soon-to-be published author with a question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
AndrewEpidemic
Untainted

Current Win Points : 3

Soon-to-be published author with a question Empty
PostSubject: Soon-to-be published author with a question   Soon-to-be published author with a question EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 9:54 pm

Ok, so I've been working on a novel featuring the Slender Man for about the last 6-8 months. I have co-authored a book before this that is going to be published through World Castle Publishing and is currently in editing. It was my intention to submit this novel to my publisher until I saw VictorSurge's DeviantArt page with the note saying he doesn't give out permissions for published work or something along those lines.
Does anyone on here know if this is, in fact, true? I never thought to confirm it until now due to the variety of Youtube series and whatnot containing the character.
I'm about 3/4 of the way done with it and don't really want to drop what I feel is a fairly promising novel, so can anyone provide any kind of info on this?
Back to top Go down
FreedomCaged
Observer
FreedomCaged

Current Win Points : 116

PostSubject: Re: Soon-to-be published author with a question   Soon-to-be published author with a question EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 10:25 pm

It's my understanding that Surge did in fact copyright Slender Man at some point in time (it's in one of the interviews, I'm not sure which one.) He keeps him as an open source character and seems to be fine with everyone out there making their own stories on the character, but so far all that has been produced is completly free to use. I mean sure, Marble Hornets has it's DVD, and several of the blogs and vlogs make money off of advertising, but a novel is new, and therefore in a gray area. My advice: better safe than sorry, try to contact Victor Surge and see if he's o.k. with this, you don't want to assume and get slapped with a lawsuit later. From what I've seen of him he seems fairly reasonable, though, at the very least he's okay with all of the other stuff out there, so hopefully it won't be much of an issue. Good luck either way.
Back to top Go down
mikewp
Untainted

Current Win Points : 9

PostSubject: Re: Soon-to-be published author with a question   Soon-to-be published author with a question EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:44 pm

The Slender Man is indeed protected by a copyright, you can do a simple copyright search and see it was claimed by Victor Surge under his real name in 2010. I had been discussing the entire Slender universe with a producer who was interested in this kind of a horror story and I had to confirm for them that the character wasn't in public domain
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soon-to-be published author with a question   Soon-to-be published author with a question Empty

Back to top Go down

Soon-to-be published author with a question
Page 1 of 1