Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Help me Slenderphiles, you're my only hope

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
charles.phipps.946
Untainted

Current Win Points : 0

Help me Slenderphiles, you're my only hope Empty
PostSubject: Help me Slenderphiles, you're my only hope   Help me Slenderphiles, you're my only hope EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 10:17 am

Howdy Slenderites,

I am probably like a lot of you, a beyond or near college age and fancies himself a writer. Well, I am considering the possibility of starting a Slenderman Blog. I was curious what sort of rules are necessary for it, where I should begin, and any form of suggestion you guys might have for making the experience work.

Any advice/tips or suggestions would be welcome.

I'm willing to listen to them all.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
travis.wolph
Untainted
travis.wolph

Current Win Points : 1

PostSubject: Re:help   Help me Slenderphiles, you're my only hope EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 1:57 pm

Alrighty duder here are my suggestions.
1: As a writer you know how it takes time to build up to certain events, and foreshadowing to build to a moment, meaning you can't have constant slendy (also cast w/proxies are a good idea). Give time+background to build up to first encounter
2: If you can find a way to make it 'personal' you can get in to it more
3: Upload gaps are both annoying/intriguing to your readers and it will help you think of new ideas
4: don't be afraid to try new things, add other Fear Mythos characters to 'spice things up' from time to time
5: Use your location to get ideas, don't tell entire BS, just a healthy portion.
6: Collaboration with others (like friends or other people here on SN) can spark new ideas.
7: Non-sequitor can be alright, like being 'hacked' or proxy writing.
8: Cryptic clues can go a long way (Also I recommend Anagrams or Latin)
9: Think of a good name, this seems superficial but a good name intrigues readers and pumps you up.
10: My last bit of advise I can offer, make friends with a video editor or photographer. While it can be alright just writing pictures or little videos can add to your blog (pictures are easier and creepier if done right)

That's all I have for right now, cheers and good luck on your endeavors mate Very Happy !
Back to top Go down
kingxana0
Observer
kingxana0

Current Win Points : 27

PostSubject: Re: Help me Slenderphiles, you're my only hope   Help me Slenderphiles, you're my only hope EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 3:15 pm

A little advice I have found in my history of writing Slender Man blogs is that Slender Man is a great monster, but he is not a villain. Make sure that your primary proxy antagonist is someone who people can really find themselves interested in.

Like make it a old flame you thought had died or maybe find out that the job your worked for was run by proxies or your whole town is proxies.

And one more thing make sure you will have fun doing this. There is no point starting a blog and then getting bored a week later.
Back to top Go down
DaLadybugMan
Blackout
DaLadybugMan

Current Win Points : 488

PostSubject: Re: Help me Slenderphiles, you're my only hope   Help me Slenderphiles, you're my only hope EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 5:00 pm

kingxana0 wrote:
A little advice I have found in my history of writing Slender Man blogs is that Slender Man is a great monster, but he is not a villain. Make sure that your primary proxy antagonist is someone who people can really find themselves interested in.

An alternate view? Don't listen to this. If you're writing for the horror angle or writing a standalone story, proxies are overdone and really not even necessary in the first place. If you're intending to become part of the interconnected 'verse, it might be a good idea. But otherwise, try to stay away from them.

Anyway, some bits of advice:

-Take chances. Whatever you do, don't be formula. There are a lot of predictable blogs out there. Don't be one of them. Feel free to draw from other sources, but make sure that you're merely imitating their flavor and not their plot. We really don't need more stories focusing on "found footage" or "notebook full of crazy."

-If you're going to be writing about the Slender Man and/or intend to actually use him as an antagonist, make sure he has a character. Lots of people say that Slendy has no canon. That's sort of true, but it'd be better to say that his canon is up to individual interpretation. Your canon is fine as long as Magic A Is Magic A. Maybe you want to make Slendy an alien. Maybe you want to make him a forest spirit. Maybe you want to give him pyrokinesis. Maybe you want to give him tentacles or maybe you want to give him multiple branching arms. You can do that, as long as your story's canon stays consistent. Give him motivation and personality (but make it subtle and don't delve into it; you don't want to ruin his mystique, do you?) so that you can write him consistently.

-Have a plot. It's possible to write short pieces that are fairly plotless, but at least have some narrative structure to them. If you write a story about, for example, a guy creating rules or guidelines to help fight the Slender Man, you're going to start running out of things to write about pretty quickly. Trust me, I know this from the experience of a few separate blogs. You have to have a plot to actually drive the story along and keep you from burning out or coming down with a horrible case of writer's block.

-Plan your plot in advance. If you can't think of the whole plot beforehand, that's fine. Some amount of winging is acceptable, as long as you've planned at least the beginning story arc and have a general idea of how you want things to end. The rest of the plot can be filled in as you go, but always be thinking at least an arc or two ahead. After all, you have to know where you're going, since writing a blog in realtime isn't like writing a novel and then going back and editing so that things build up to later revelations.

-Get feedback. People tend to be terrible judges of what they've written. Getting someone to give you a second opinion or proofread your work helps a lot. Just make sure it's someone you trust as a writer.

Anyway, those are some personal guidelines, not rules. There are always exceptions. But hopefully that helps some.
Back to top Go down
http://slenderbloggins.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me Slenderphiles, you're my only hope   Help me Slenderphiles, you're my only hope Empty

Back to top Go down

Help me Slenderphiles, you're my only hope
Page 1 of 1