Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

What Scares You?

Go down 
+32
AlkerStay
GeorgePenn
Caedeus
Machine Gun Cynic
LostSkeleton
Huaimoitu
Etreo
guitargodd97
EaterOfWorlds
rollp
TheFallenenvoy
Nearnote
britaki
Rats808
AlphabeticWar
Fotzepolitic
Ekaetriana
Moose
Courage
aGamingFish
nINTH##sIXTh##
xyzombie
DiddyBittyDude
kingxana0
level100nidoking
TheDakaar713
Cougar Draven
sethlapod555
apokAlypse
DemonicUlquiorra
Zephyr_Mal
36 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Zephyr_Mal
Untainted
Zephyr_Mal

Current Win Points : 5

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 2:12 am

What I want to know is:

What scares you the most?

When you're watching a movie and/or series, reading a book/blog, or even talking to someone else, what situations cause the hair to stand up on the back of your neck and make your heart beat faster? Are there certain things that suddenly give you a cold sweat and the urge to check behind you and in your closet?
Share! It's not like anyone's going to use this information against you... Smile

Disclaimer: Zephyr_Mal and Zephyr Inc. cannot assure you that this information will not be used against you and may or may not use said information for their own benefit.

FOR SCIENCE!

I'm truly frightened by a sudden lack of noise in the dark. It's not the blaring distortion that creeps me out in most Slender series, it's the utter silence following minor distortion. A horror fantasy of mine would be for the sound to cut out right before the appearance of the creature/antagonist.

Last edited by Zephyr_Mal on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:54 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Disclaimer needed to be smaller)
Back to top Go down
DemonicUlquiorra
Untainted
DemonicUlquiorra

Current Win Points : -7

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 11:12 am

Noise is what scares me the most. For example, when I play Slender, it scares the living shit out of me when it plays the jumpscare noise and Slenderman appears. Also the anticipation of seeing something really gets the adrenaline going.

Last edited by DemonicUlquiorra on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://bleachyaoi.wikia.com
apokAlypse
Untainted
apokAlypse

Current Win Points : 12

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 11:49 am

Yes, noise for me too. Although loud noises is usually what's causing the jumpscare to be so scary in movies/games etc, so I guess that's just human instinct.

But I've always been pretty scared of the whole thing with invisible forces, or entities, that you can't see but they are extremely powerful and they always know you're there and watches you. Kind of like Slender Man. xD Although I'm too used to Slender things right now so I'm not that scared of him anymore. And that's unfortunate, I miss being scared of Slendy.

I mean like,, The Shining. That movie. When people's minds are affected by some sort of force around them and it's just there. Always. And it will keep haunting you for the rest of your life. Stuff like that is pretty scary.

And boars! Seriously, I can't go out running after 8pm anymore here because it's pitch black and there are boars out then.

Aaaand I'm really scared of creepy faces with eyes that stare at you. Especially if they smile. Oh god, the first time I saw SmileDog.jpg... That made me afraid of going to the bathroom, and down the cellar to get a soda.

And due to my obsession with horror movies I've seen a lot of scenes with people looking into the mirror, looking away, and BAM they see a face there. I'm always scared of that happening to me.
Back to top Go down
DemonicUlquiorra
Untainted
DemonicUlquiorra

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 12:20 pm

The first time I saw the really demonic looking Smiledog.jpg it scared me so bad! But I think anticipation is really scary.

Also, for me, darkness. I don't like no being able to see what's in front of me. And it really doesn't help to have a flashlight. Flashlights don't allow you to see everything around you. I have to see everything or I'm gonna be scared.
Back to top Go down
sethlapod555
Survivor
sethlapod555

Current Win Points : 708

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 2:17 pm

There's a few things that scare me the most:

1) Being trapped in a place where I know I can't get out, no matter what I do to try and escape, because I know that that is my fate.

2) Being alone. I can't stand the thought of being alone during a situation that is either terrifying, dangerous, or any combination of the two. I NEED to have someone there to be alongside me to get out of the situation. (As you can tell, I can get pretty codependent.)

3) Complete silence in a dark/desolate area. The tension and suspense that comes with complete silence in those types of environments drives me up the wall.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/drstevzious117
Cougar Draven
Stalked
Cougar Draven

Current Win Points : 87

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 3:36 pm

Every one of you that said something like loud noises or jump scares is actually wrong. They don't scare you. They startle you. Fear is not having someone suddenly jump at you. Fear is a long game, full of paranoia and unsettling thoughts. Fear is the rustling sound of leaves on the path behind you. Fear is the knowledge that you don't know what is beyond the darkness. Fear is knowing that something around you isn't right.

What scares me? The world. The world is a terrifying place.
Back to top Go down
http://cougardraven.tumblr.com/
TheDakaar713
Untainted
TheDakaar713

Current Win Points : 3

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 7:15 pm

What scares me is mirrors, but only when I'm alone. I'm just a bit scared that when I look into a mirror, I'm going to see something evil. If I'm with other people, I'm Macho Man Randy Savage around the things, but if I'm alone my brain thinks there will be something there I can't run from.

Last edited by TheDakaar713 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
level100nidoking
Stalked
level100nidoking

Current Win Points : 66

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 8:06 pm

Zephyr_Mal wrote:
What I want to know is:

When you're watching a movie and/or series, reading a book/blog, or even talking to someone else, what situations cause the hair to stand up on the back of your neck and make your heart beat faster? Are there certain things that suddenly give you a cold sweat and the urge to check behind you and in your closet?
Share! It's not like anyone's going to use this information against you... Smile

Disclaimer: Zephyr_Mal and Zephyr Inc. cannot assure you that this information will not be used against you and may or may not use said information for their own benefit.

FOR SCIENCE!

I'm truly frightened by a sudden lack of noise in the dark. It's not the blaring distortion that creeps me out in most Slender series, it's the utter silence following minor distortion. A horror fantasy of mine would be for the sound to cut out right before the appearance of the creature/antagonist.

I'm scared of heights, dark woods at night, Noah Maxwell's acting, and any type of creepy person or thing that I can't see

EDIT: Bridges. Never again.
Back to top Go down
http://mrsaturnjr.com/
kingxana0
Observer
kingxana0

Current Win Points : 27

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 12:15 am

For me it is mostly the dark when you are in a house by yourself. Or when you have had your eyes shut for thirty minutes and you just have this primal urge to open your eyes and expect something to attack you.

Also falling off roller coasters. Just thinking about it creeps me out. One minute you are having the time of your life and then BAM wheel chair forever.
Back to top Go down
DiddyBittyDude
Untainted
DiddyBittyDude

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 1:04 am

The Woods; at night. Good GOD them woods.

I go camping a lot, and the one thing that I can never get over is the woods at night.

In the day, it's all fine and dandy; but when the sun goes down, when you know things with better vision can see you, things with better sense of smell can smell you, and things with better hearing can hear you miles away.

I guess it's a form of paranoia mixed with the lack of seeing and knowing that weird forest people can come after me... Once I had to go to a camp where I had to sit in the middle of a forest trail at 3:00 in the morning (don't ask; finding inner self exercise thingy). Worst. Night. EVER.
Back to top Go down
xyzombie
Taken
xyzombie

Current Win Points : 79

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 9:02 am

Movement in the corner of my eye, during the night.
Being lost, either on streets or in the woods, at night.
Loud noises, when I can't simply find out their origins, in the evening.
Sleep depravity, mixed with having to walk around outside, after dark.
Pretty much anything even remotely abnormal after the sun goes down.
Back to top Go down
xyzombie
Taken
xyzombie

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 9:07 am

xyzombie wrote:
Movement in the corner of my eye, during the night.
Being lost, either on streets or in the woods, at night.
Loud noises, when I can't simply find out their origins, in the evening.
Sleep depravity, mixed with having to walk around outside, after dark.
Pretty much anything even remotely abnormal after the sun goes down.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
DemonicUlquiorra
Untainted
DemonicUlquiorra

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 9:25 am

Cougar Draven wrote:
Every one of you that said something like loud noises or jump scares is actually wrong. They don't scare you. They startle you. Fear is not having someone suddenly jump at you. Fear is a long game, full of paranoia and unsettling thoughts. Fear is the rustling sound of leaves on the path behind you. Fear is the knowledge that you don't know what is beyond the darkness. Fear is knowing that something around you isn't right.

How is it accurate to say that we are all wrong? Everyone has their own interpretation of fear. People don't see the world the same as you so you can't say that loud noises aren't fear. Fear can stem from a loud noise. For example, you hear a glass break in your kitchen. It's dark and you're the only one home. It was totally unexpected and now ideas are racing through your head. What could have possibly made that loud NOISE? Get what I'm trying to say?
Back to top Go down
Cougar Draven
Stalked
Cougar Draven

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 10:53 am

DemonicUlquiorra wrote:
Cougar Draven wrote:

How is it accurate to say that we are all wrong? Everyone has their own interpretation of fear. People don't see the world the same as you so you can't say that loud noises aren't fear. Fear can stem from a loud noise. For example, you hear a glass break in your kitchen. It's dark and you're the only one home. It was totally unexpected and now ideas are racing through your head. What could have possibly made that loud NOISE? Get what I'm trying to say?

Because that's not actually a reaction to the jump scare, it's your brain processing the jump scare.

It's the difference between the initial "oh shit" reaction, which is being startled, and your brain actually processing the input, which is fear. Fear requires thought. Being startled by scary GIFs and sudden loud noises does not.
Back to top Go down
xyzombie
Taken
xyzombie

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 10:57 am

Cougar Draven wrote:
DemonicUlquiorra wrote:
Cougar Draven wrote:
Every one of you that said something like loud noises or jump scares is actually wrong. They don't scare you. They startle you.

How is it accurate to say that we are all wrong? Everyone has their own interpretation of fear.

Because that's not actually a reaction to the jump scare, it's your brain processing the jump scare.

It's the difference between the initial "oh shit" reaction, which is being startled, and your brain actually processing the input, which is fear. Fear requires thought. Being startled by scary GIFs and sudden loud noises does not.

I agree with you, though I suppose people could be scared about being startled. Like as if the anticipation for being startled is terrifying enough for them. I'm simply playing devil's advocate here though. One would have to be pretty vanilla in order to be scared by the anticipation of being startled.
Back to top Go down
Cougar Draven
Stalked
Cougar Draven

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 11:21 am

xyzombie wrote:
Cougar Draven wrote:
DemonicUlquiorra wrote:
Cougar Draven wrote:
Every one of you that said something like loud noises or jump scares is actually wrong. They don't scare you. They startle you.

How is it accurate to say that we are all wrong? Everyone has their own interpretation of fear.

I agree with you, though I suppose people could be scared about being startled. Like as if the anticipation for being startled is terrifying enough for them. I'm simply playing devil's advocate here though. One would have to be pretty vanilla in order to be scared by the anticipation of being startled.

No, see, that's just anticipation, that's not fear. Someone who is actually frightened by anticipation of being startled is woefully sheltered.

I think the problem is that I have had a very long time to reflect on real life, and as such simple "jump scares" don't bother me. It's why I don't really enjoy so-called "horror" movies that are either nonstop jump scare-fests or full of gore. That's not fear, that's revulsion and people who are honestly frightened by it disturb and confuse me. It's like how my mother was legitimately terrified of Scream when it came out. That always seemed wrong to me, even when I was nine.
Back to top Go down
nINTH##sIXTh##
Untainted
nINTH##sIXTh##

Current Win Points : 2

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 1:26 pm

Fear is a powerful and primitive human emotion. It alerts us to the
presence of danger and was critical in keeping our ancestors alive. Fear
can actually be divided into two stages, biochemical and emotional. The
biochemical response is universal, while the emotional response is
highly individualized. When we confront a perceived danger, our bodies respond in specific
ways. Physical reactions to fear include sweating, increased heart rate
and high adrenaline levels. This physical response is sometimes known as
the "fight or flight" response, in which the body prepares itself to either enter combat or run away. This biochemical reaction is likely an evolutionary development. It is an automatic response and is crucial to survival. The emotional response to fear is highly personalized. Some people are adrenaline junkies,
thriving on extreme sports and other fear-inducing thrill situations.
Others have a negative reaction to the feeling of fear, avoiding
fear-inducing situations at all costs. Although the physical reaction is
the same, fear may be perceived as either positive or negative. An entire Halloween industry has been built on people’s enjoyment of
fear. The majority of people avoid situations in which there is a high
risk of actual injury. Yet they enjoy the experience of being scared in
an environment that is actually safe. Horror films are another example of this phenomenon. Repeated exposure to similar situations leads to familiarity. This
greatly reduces both the fear response and the resulting elation,
leading adrenaline junkies to seek out ever new and bigger thrills. It
also forms the basis of some phobia treatments, which depend on slowly
minimizing the fear response by making it feel familiar. One aspect of anxiety disorders can be a tendency to develop a fear of fear.
Where most people tend to experience fear only during a situation that
is perceived as scary, those who suffer from anxiety disorders may
become afraid that they will experience a fear response. They perceive
their fear responses as negative, and go out of their way to avoid those
responses. A phobia is a twisting of the normal fear response. The fear is
directed toward an object or situation that does not present a real
danger. The sufferer recognizes that the fear is unreasonable, yet
cannot help the reaction. Over time, the fear tends to worsen as the
fear of fear response takes hold. Phobia treatments that are based on the psychology of fear tend to
focus on such techniques as systematic desensitization and flooding.
Both techniques work with the body’s physiological and psychological
responses to reduce the fear. In systematic desensitization,
the client is gradually led through a series of exposure situations.
For example, a client with a fear of snakes may spend the first session
talking about snakes. Slowly, over subsequent sessions, the client would
be led through looking at pictures of snakes, playing with toy snakes,
and eventually handling a live snake. This is often accompanied by
learning and applying new coping techniques to manage the fear response. Flooding
is type of exposure technique, but can be quite successful. In
flooding, the client is exposed to a vast quantity of the feared object
or situation until the fear diminishes. It is important that such confrontational approaches be undertaken
only with the guidance of a trained mental health professional. These
are potentially traumatic techniques, however, in some circumstances,
they have an excellent rate of success.
Back to top Go down
aGamingFish
Anxious
aGamingFish

Current Win Points : 4

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 6:00 am

Reading a scary story in a dark room and then having to face turning around affraid
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/GreyPixelFilms?feature=mhee
apokAlypse
Untainted
apokAlypse

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 1:08 pm

Well, err, I meant that I'm startled by sudden sounds. I'm not too used to english, as it's not my main language and I didn't really know scared and startles had such different meanings. No, I don't get scared by sounds, I get startled by them. It was just a poor choise of words, and I misunderstood a little as well. Apoligies.

And yeah, now that I think of it I'm quite terrified of worms and the like. More like a phobia, but still. I rarely have real nightmares - sure I can dream about "scary" stuff that most people are afraid of - but mostly when I dream about scary things I think of it as exciting, even if I'd be terrified of it in real life. Although almost all the dreams I have that I really just hate having involve worms of some kind. I can think of several nightmares I've had involving those things... And I'm really not that scared of them in real life, just think they're really disgusting. Just scared in dreams, for some really weird reason.
Back to top Go down
Courage
Untainted

Current Win Points : 0

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 10:21 pm

Zephyr_Mal wrote:
What I want to know is:

FOR SCIENCE!

I think for me is when I'm able to picture someone or something standing / crouching. In a place that they SHOULDN'T be. And, I don't think that this necessarily has to do with Slenderman himself, but I think this goes for a lot of things.

I especially am freaked out by things that can crawl abnormally fast, dis-jointed legs or arms, and long appendages. ( Not regarding to Slenderman. )
Back to top Go down
level100nidoking
Stalked
level100nidoking

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 10:59 pm

DiddyBittyDude wrote:
The Woods; at night. Good GOD them woods.

I go camping a lot, and the one thing that I can never get over is the woods at night.

In the day, it's all fine and dandy; but when the sun goes down, when you know things with better vision can see you, things with better sense of smell can smell you, and things with better hearing can hear you miles away.

I guess it's a form of paranoia mixed with the lack of seeing and knowing that weird forest people can come after me... Once I had to go to a camp where I had to sit in the middle of a forest trail at 3:00 in the morning (don't ask; finding inner self exercise thingy). Worst. Night. EVER.

Thick woods at midnight with a flashlight that died in under 2 minutes

never again
Back to top Go down
Moose
Anxious
Moose

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 12:34 pm

[I have list of things that scare me but for the sake of not page stretching, I'm not going to list them all. Just a few.]

[First up is Silence & Darkness. These two come in a pair. I am absolutely terrified of silence and darkness because not hearing and not seeing leads me to believe, subconsciously, that I am dying slowly and ebbing away into nothingness. I don't like that. Otherwise, it's completely irrational.]

[Next is Loud Noises & Sudden Bright Lights[b/] This is the exact opposite of the one above, but still really bad for me. Especially in thunderstorms, which have both.]

[Third, [b] Spiders
. Spiders, terrify me. It's mostly a PTSD thing, but still. Not when I'm looking at them on a computer screen- I think they're lovable and adorable. When I'm looking at one in real life, on the wall or something, I freeze up and lose it all at once.]

[Last but not least, another pair! Things in masks/without faces staring at me & Things that weren't there before being there or vice versa! Pretty self explanatory.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ragemoose.com
Cougar Draven
Stalked
Cougar Draven

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 6:55 pm

Every single post I read in here convinces me more and more that I'm disconnected from reality and incapable of feeling real things.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Anxious
Moose

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 8:30 pm

Cougar Draven wrote:
Every single post I read in here convinces me more and more that I'm disconnected from reality and incapable of feeling real things.
[I both do and do not envy you.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.ragemoose.com
level100nidoking
Stalked
level100nidoking

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 8:34 pm

Moose wrote:
Cougar Draven wrote:
[I both do and do not envy you.]

[I don't know why, but I read everything you say, like a haiku plus a half whisper]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What Scares You? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Scares You?   What Scares You? Empty

Back to top Go down

What Scares You?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Slender Man Series :: Out-of-Game Trailheads-
Jump to: