Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff

HomepageHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Share | 

Looking for input

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ekaetriana
Untainted

Current Win Points : 4

PostSubject: Looking for input   Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:13 pm

So I have some questions on the novel I am writing...and I wanted to ask them. Let's start I guess.

1) How would you feel about a dramatically different setting than what you are used to? It seems that 99% of the material I've seen takes place in modern times with modern characters. The only thing unconventional or fantastic would be the Slender Man and what takes place around him. I'm curious if a setting that featured fantasy or science fiction elements would be taken badly- or not?

Also, what of a setting in the future or past? I would love to show you my idea, so that you can see exactly what I'm talking about, but the idea is not fully stitched together yet. It's still spread out in pieces and it will take some more planning to put it together.

I can say that the idea is not anything -too- extreme like magic users or space travel. But it has time travel via switching between future and past. It also has science fiction but in more of a pseudo-science form. The main character is studying events around her and trying to create "Laws" on which transdimensional beings and events operate. It's all meant to be very surreal.

2) Female leads. I haven't seen a lot of this, so if you have some good examples please tell me about them and I'd love to read/watch. My lead is going to be a female, but I'm afraid of what people expect from a female.

It seems in modern fiction that a female lead needs to have friends, and a romantic partner. But to be perfectly honest, I don't want her to have friends or a boyfriend. In fact, my lead is not interested in the opposite sex. I want her to be a mentally unstable, lone wolf type. (spoiler) There are chances in the story for her to have romance, but the first man she rejects and the second one turns out to be not such a good guy. (/spoiler) I've seen a lot of lone wolf males, but not a lot of females.

The setting itself (travelling by foot, surviving in the wilderness) sort of calls for a loner in the first place. I'm just not sure if people are comfortable with a female doing this and not being interested in having company to boot.

...I may have more questions as this comes together, but I'd like some input before I go any further.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Etreo
Runner

Current Win Points : 260

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input   Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:13 pm

It sounds like Slenderman, Star Wars and the Hunger Games got together and had a huge creative orgy. And it sound pretty good. On thing I will say is that I think that Slendy is more suited to Middle Ages type environments than the futuristic vibe I'm getting from you right now. But if you think you can make it work, then go ahead. Keep us updated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ekaetriana
Untainted

Current Win Points : 4

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input   Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:27 pm

Thanks for the reply.

The future she visits isn't really all that futuristic, it's more apocalyptic with little human life. The elements of that future that can be called "futuristic" are written to be more surreal than anything.

But I must agree. Slendy definitely belongs more in the past than in a high-tech future.

I'll keep this updated. I may have an actual synopsis by the end of the weekend, then I'll ask for a real critique.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Etreo
Runner

Current Win Points : 260

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input   Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:02 pm

No problem, I can't wait. Love a good post apocalyptic setting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input   Today at 9:27 am

Back to top Go down

Looking for input
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Slender Man Series :: Out-of-Game Trailheads-
Jump to: