Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Sceadugenga

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Caedeus
Anxious
Caedeus

Current Win Points : 1

Sceadugenga Empty
PostSubject: Sceadugenga   Sceadugenga EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 9:36 am

Shocked So, like I said in my intro thread if anyone read that - I'm a hobby-ist mythos ... study-er?... I study myths of all sorts all the time, it's a hobby of mine. And I was reminiscing in my half-sickly and half tired memories about a mythological creature called the Sceadugenga that came around to the mythology zone when the concept and stories and such of it were discovered in ancient Anglo Saxon ruins.

For pronunciation help becuase I'm sure either you're spending about a minute to figure out how to pronounce that word or you make up a pronunciation so you can skim this, the word "Sceadugenga" is pronounced: SKY - UH - DUH - GAY - N (just the "n" sound) - GI (hard G) - UH

Long word, but there's nothing shorter to really call them - but they are literally translated to mean "Shadow-goer". So if you wanna call them that instead, that's cool. I get that Sceadugenga is really effing hard to pronounce at first.

But these Shadow-goers were really terrifying things, saying that it almost seems like they could blend in with people if they wanted to.

Sceadugenga were humanoid beings that typically appeared as beautiful or attractive (possibly to luer people in) and they were known to inhabit dense forests. Highly carnivorous, with a diet consisting mainly of the small Anglo villagers, they were said to be able to slaughter and devour entire families in mere minutes leaving nothing but blood everywhere.

Supposedly equipped with a stunning smile of shark-like teeth, their tongue was barbed like a cat's to tear flesh from bone easier (at least, this is my deduction from reading)

their claws could easily tear skin as well, and were said to cause massive infection, illness, then death in the most painful way possible and the only way to end the suffering was to just have that person tossed at the Sceadguenga for a swift death.

Shadow-goers were also said to like cloaking themselves, masking or shadowing their faces to spark curiosity and luer people in as well with that, though I also speculate that it also may have something to do with possible sensitivity to light on their eyes. (A theory of mine, you'll understand in a bit).

However, the reason they were called Shadow-goers, is because they blended in with the shadows. They literally... became part of the shadows and moved with it and through it. Like a predator stalking its prey, their body became one with the shadows and they seemingly vanished from existence.

This is what earned them the name "Sceadugenga" or "Shadow-goer" (Literally translated).

At times they were said to also take the clothes from the people they ate and wear them to disguise themselves as people out in the forest so people would question why there was an ordinary person out at such late at night or alone, and be drawn to them.

However, all of this information and a few speculations - were extremely difficult to get... I had to speak to a few people and friends of mine that had studied things like that and such. As well as I had to track down several libraries that might have had information - as the internet has little to nothing on these creatures.

So, Slendernation - what'dya think?

I also think I'm going to write a creepy-pasta about these things.
Back to top Go down
DarkShadows
Blackout
DarkShadows

Current Win Points : 32

Sceadugenga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sceadugenga   Sceadugenga EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 6:24 pm

That's actually really creepy, and I sort of see where you could make parallels to the Slender One if you squint.

When you say "Ancient Anglo-Saxon", how ancient are you talking? What area? I don't know all that much about Ancient Anglo-Saxons I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wordflow.webs.com
Packfong
Observer
Packfong

Current Win Points : 8

Sceadugenga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sceadugenga   Sceadugenga EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Sounds like Slender Man's hillbilly cousins at work. : D
Back to top Go down
Caedeus
Anxious
Caedeus

Sceadugenga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sceadugenga   Sceadugenga EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 9:10 pm

I'm not entirely sure, but when I read about it it sounded like very early Anglo Saxon society up to the time period where that giant ark was buried with its captian.
Back to top Go down
DarkShadows
Blackout
DarkShadows

Sceadugenga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sceadugenga   Sceadugenga EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 11:01 pm

Caedeus wrote:
... up to the time period where that giant ark was buried with its captain.

"the time period where that giant ark was buried"
"where that giant ark was buried"
"that giant ark"

Sceadugenga 145577 Coincidence?

But seriously I have no idea what time period you mean... I know nothing about this subject, so...
Back to top Go down
Caedeus
Anxious
Caedeus

Sceadugenga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sceadugenga   Sceadugenga EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 11:56 am

Ahaha, I see what you did thar!

No, Uhm... Lemme find it for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_Hoo

It's called the "Sutton Hoo Burial Ship"

And it's pretty much a giant Ark that was buried with its captian. No one really seems to know why. Literally they BURIED it... With tons of treasures too if I remember correctly.
Back to top Go down
Packfong
Observer
Packfong

Sceadugenga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sceadugenga   Sceadugenga EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 9:49 pm

Tim Sutton Hoo Burial Ship?

: o
Back to top Go down
DarkShadows
Blackout
DarkShadows

Sceadugenga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sceadugenga   Sceadugenga EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 10:05 pm

D: OMG Packfong. Conspiracy theory. We must spam the internet with it.
Back to top Go down
Packfong
Observer
Packfong

Sceadugenga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sceadugenga   Sceadugenga EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:39 pm

Too busy blogging about how the President is a lizard man. *klakkity klakkity klakkity*
Back to top Go down
Caedeus
Anxious
Caedeus

Sceadugenga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sceadugenga   Sceadugenga EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 9:15 am

PFFF! Oh god. this made my day
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sceadugenga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sceadugenga   Sceadugenga Empty