Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Camera/Filming Styles?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SadDevil
Observer
SadDevil

Current Win Points : 13

Camera/Filming Styles? Empty
PostSubject: Camera/Filming Styles?   Camera/Filming Styles? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:25 am

I am a sucker for a good plot in a found footage film, and I recently rented the Chernobyl Diaries. That movie began in a POV found footage style made on the character's camcorder documenting their vacation. But the style shifts quickly to what seems to be cinematic, with standard camera cuts, and the "Invisible" cameraman; But the special part here is the WAY they shot the clips themselves. They are all done as if it was a bunch of compiled handheld footage.

Now this of course isn't used TOO often as far as I can tell. What are your preferences for film styles in horror?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/KriptsTale
The Doctor
Admin
The Doctor

Current Win Points : 293

PostSubject: Re: Camera/Filming Styles?   Camera/Filming Styles? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:53 am

Here's my take on horror nowadays:

...it's almost non-existent. Truly. I mean, think about this.

You've heard of all these slasher films (Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween being the big ones) and people rave about them. However, they are not horror. Horror, in its purest form, is supposed to make you afraid, to make you feel fear. Slasher films do nothing to accomplish that. You simply root for the killer or for your favorite victim. You don't feel scared or afraid for them.

However, movies like The Blair Witch Project (Yes, it's my favorite horror movie, SUE ME!), Paranormal Activity (Haven't seen the second one, but the others aren't bad), REC (either version, doesn't matter), and The Last Exorcism, those make you fearful. The scares are legitimate, not simply jump scares with a masked killer shoving a knife in your face. They make you fear the entity or evil being. You truly do not want the victims to die and when they do, you are both horrified and saddened by the loss. The most you get in terms of character development in a slasher film is a pointless boob shot or sex scene.

I could go on and on, but the point is there:

Slasher films are trash in my personal opinion and do nothing in terms of scares and entertainment. Found footage, on the other hand, is a growing art in horror and it is glorious.

Whew! That was more of a rant and ramble than I intended, but there it is!
Back to top Go down
https://slendernation.forumotion.com
spawn250
Anxious

Current Win Points : 26

PostSubject: Re: Camera/Filming Styles?   Camera/Filming Styles? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 10:01 am

I have to disagree with you on slasher films. if it has a good concept it can still scare you, like elm street, yea it had some comedy elements, but the concept of someone who infiltrates your dreams to kill you is frightening, to me at least.
Back to top Go down
Etreo
Runner
Etreo

Current Win Points : 261

PostSubject: Re: Camera/Filming Styles?   Camera/Filming Styles? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 5:11 pm

I'm only really scared by gore, weirdly. Horror films and videos have no effect on me, with the exception of things featuring creepy little girls. Apart from The Exorcist, the most famously terrifying film of all time. I'm fine with that, but would I watch SAW? Oh god no.
Back to top Go down
The Doctor
Admin
The Doctor

Current Win Points : 293

PostSubject: Re: Camera/Filming Styles?   Camera/Filming Styles? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 6:29 pm

Gore doesn't scare me, tbh. It just grosses me out.
Back to top Go down
https://slendernation.forumotion.com
SadDevil
Observer
SadDevil

Current Win Points : 13

PostSubject: Re: Camera/Filming Styles?   Camera/Filming Styles? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 7:08 pm

Yeah gore doesn't really scare me either. Only extremely discomfort me at times:
https://youtu.be/icR8Vly5-B0?t=1m15s

But back on topic, I meant for this to be about filming styles, not what scares you.

Last edited by The Doctor on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:26 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Fixed the Youtube link)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/KriptsTale
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Camera/Filming Styles?   Camera/Filming Styles? Empty

Back to top Go down

Camera/Filming Styles?
Page 1 of 1