Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Retconning an entry.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tiro1000
Watched
Tiro1000

Current Win Points : 146

Retconning an entry. Empty
PostSubject: Retconning an entry.   Retconning an entry. EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 5:31 pm

Say I was a creator of a mildly popular and well liked series that ended on a bad note. And say that note was a video or post that progressed the plot in a direction that at this point for some reason would lead absolutely nowhere. Say the reason it would lead nowhere included a falling out between the creator and the cast members involved in this plot direction.

So, assuming I am the creator of this series, I seem to have 3 options.

1. Just let the series die and fade away.

2. Try to work with that video or post as hard as it may be, and go from there.

3. Delete the video, officially retconning it from your story, and saying that it never happened.

What I would like to know, is are there any examples of someone doing option 3, and if so, how did the viewers feel about such a retcon?

Edit: Just realized I spelled the topic name wrong. Already asking a mod to fix it.
Back to top Go down
PostIt
Anxious
PostIt

Current Win Points : 17

PostSubject: Re: Retconning an entry.   Retconning an entry. EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 6:40 pm

I haven't heard of this but I'm sure it's happened. Instead of deleting th entry, is there any way to IG explain away it's existance? It's all a dream/nightmare/hulicination-type-dealio? Temporary insanity? I'd vote for, if possible, trying to find an IG excuse as to why that particular update was not canon, without trying to handwave it away. (I know of your particular series, but not whichever update we're discussing so I can't really be of much help in particulars).
Either way I would completely vote to find some way to continue. Even if that means deleting the entry and pretending it never happened, I'm sure most people would understand. These are amatuer works and none of us are perfect. Sometimes actors leave before their role is really suppose to be done with.
Back to top Go down
TailsFoxy
Slendervet
TailsFoxy

Current Win Points : 424

PostSubject: Re: Retconning an entry.   Retconning an entry. EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Personally i would say Option 1 should never be an option.
Also, i rather would try to incooperate it into the story than just deleting it, because it would give you a chance to get really creative with the use of it.
Back to top Go down
http://slenderman.de
PointlessTest
Observer

Current Win Points : 59

PostSubject: Re: Retconning an entry.   Retconning an entry. EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 5:45 am

I would do whatever you need to tell your story. I think way too many serie limit themselves, because they are afraid to seem unrealistic, as if we all don't already know that this is a work of fiction. As long as you can immerse the audience in your universe, then you are quite free to delete episodes and do other stuff that "exposes" it as a work of fiction. Don't worry too much about that. Of course this is just my opinion, but I also think it is common sense Smile
Back to top Go down
UrbanVortex
Untainted
UrbanVortex

Current Win Points : 0

PostSubject: Re: Retconning an entry.   Retconning an entry. EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 11:57 am

I think no matter how bad this situation could have made a series end, it can still work out. Take your time and if you want to fix it and continue, then you will think of a way. Even if it takes a while, you don't want to rush an idea to fix a series.

Last edited by UrbanVortex on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling Error)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/UrbanVortex1
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Retconning an entry.   Retconning an entry. Empty

Back to top Go down

Retconning an entry.
Page 1 of 1