Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore?

Go down 
+3
xyzombie
Chieftain1
Todesfurcht
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Todesfurcht
Observer
Todesfurcht

Current Win Points : 69

Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? Empty
PostSubject: Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore?   Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 1:22 am

It seems like he's been hinting that Slenderman isn't his anymore. It's starting to sound like the creature we've all come to know and love is now copyrighted.

Whether or not Eric is in some movie or something, Slenderman is no longer ours to share.

Kick-starter films have been stopped by various sources complaining about the use of Slenderman, and Victor-Surge's Deviantart bio isn't looking so hot either.

Not only that, but this recently popped up:

"Despite his legendary qualities, the Slender Man is not in the public domain. Many profit-making ventures involving him have unequivocally acknowledged the user Victor Surge (real name Eric Knudsen) as the creator of this fictional character. However, several more have been legally blocked from distribution (including the Kickstarter-funded film) after legal complaints from various sources. Though Knudsen himself has given his personal blessing to a number of Slender Man-related projects, it is complicated by the fact that, while he is the character's creator, a third party holds the options to any adaptations into other media, including film and television. The identity of this option holder has not been made public."
Source

Thought I'd share this with you guys. It's interesting information.
Back to top Go down
Chieftain1
Taken
Chieftain1

Current Win Points : 193

PostSubject: Re: Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore?   Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 10:08 am

I have probably mentioned this million times but while Victor doesn't own Slender man anymore, he was a producer for Slender:The Arrival. Hopefully in years time, Slender man does become public domain.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLnGZjFH39HUbq_5uecBV-g
xyzombie
Taken
xyzombie

Current Win Points : 79

PostSubject: Re: Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore?   Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 5:05 pm

It's less ownership and more creation credits. It's kind of hard to discuss "ownership" of a non-for-sale imaginary entity. It would be rude to not credit him for having created the idea, but would it be worth saying "somebody owns" versus "nobody owns"? *shrugs*
Back to top Go down
timeobserver2013
Taken
timeobserver2013

Current Win Points : 113

PostSubject: Re: Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore?   Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 8:50 pm

Hell, one of the Slenderfilms "The Follower", which is really good was taken down thanks to Surge.
Back to top Go down
Todesfurcht
Observer
Todesfurcht

PostSubject: Re: Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore?   Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 10:01 pm

Wasn't he in the public domain at some point? It seems only recently that games and movies have been taken down for the use of Slenderman.
Back to top Go down
TailsFoxy
Slendervet
TailsFoxy

Current Win Points : 424

PostSubject: Re: Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore?   Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 12:07 am

I really would like to know who the third party is that holds the rights to it.

Quote :
Wasn't he in the public domain at some point? It seems only recently that games and movies have been taken down for the use of Slenderman.

Yes he was, that´s what makes me wonder why this is suddendly not the case anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://slenderman.de
Chieftain1
Taken
Chieftain1

PostSubject: Re: Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore?   Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 12:26 am

TailsFoxy wrote:

Quote :

Yes he was, that´s what makes me wonder why this is suddendly not the case anymore.
Hopefully it isn't Disney.
Back to top Go down
Todesfurcht
Observer
Todesfurcht

PostSubject: Re: Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore?   Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 2:09 am

Chieftain1 wrote:
TailsFoxy wrote:

Quote :

I have a sick feeling in my gut that it may be some famous company. I wish there were more clues to lead to the answer, I'd rather not find out with time.
Back to top Go down
TailsFoxy
Slendervet
TailsFoxy

PostSubject: Re: Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore?   Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 2:41 am

Chieftain1 wrote:
TailsFoxy wrote:

Quote :

I thought about that and then
Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? Super_10
Back to top Go down
Todesfurcht
Observer
Todesfurcht

PostSubject: Re: Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore?   Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 11:44 am

sorry not sorry

Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? Belle13
Back to top Go down
Chieftain1
Taken
Chieftain1

PostSubject: Re: Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore?   Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 12:14 pm

Todesfurcht wrote:
sorry not sorry

Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? Belle13
With hit musical number: Be my proxy.
Back to top Go down
Etreo
Runner
Etreo

Current Win Points : 261

PostSubject: Re: Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore?   Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 8:15 am

That image makes me want to die inside.

Also, wouldn't it be cool if there was no mysterious copyright holder? That's a front. The actual Slenderman, to whom Victor Surge traded his soul in exchange for the e-fame that would result from his exposure, is pulling the strings over what can and can't be produced.

Or not, y'know. It's hard to tell.
Back to top Go down
TailsFoxy
Slendervet
TailsFoxy

PostSubject: Re: Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore?   Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:08 pm

Etreo wrote:

Also, wouldn't it be cool if there was no mysterious copyright holder? That's a front. The actual Slenderman, to whom Victor Surge traded his soul in exchange for the e-fame that would result from his exposure, is pulling the strings over what can and can't be produced.

Omg that would be indeed creepy o.o
Back to top Go down
Peppercorn
Anxious
Peppercorn

Current Win Points : 24

PostSubject: Re: Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore?   Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:59 pm

Whatever copyright claim this is, I just hope it's lenient enough to still allow the Slender Man to be shaped by urban legends. I mean, why let copyright take away the fun part?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/LaPeppercorn
Todesfurcht
Observer
Todesfurcht

PostSubject: Re: Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore?   Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 10:38 am

Etreo wrote:

I thought about that.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore?   Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does VictorSurge own Slenderman anymore?
Page 1 of 1