Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

"Core Theory"

Go down 
+11
Stormecho
Omega
altiumvidetur
ParaBellum
Glomple
Thage the Minithulu
Maduin
Zander
taylortexas
DaLadybugMan
zero
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
zero
Stalked
zero

Current Win Points : 115

"Core Theory" - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 11:34 am

ehh it's a soap opera, Omega. Just enjoy the story arcs. I think it was pretty cool myself. Shows that intercontinuity between blogs. However I do think that Redlight needs to not show up for a bit, as he's just had 3 losses attributed to him lately. He either needs to step off for a bit, or have a win attributed to him, a good win.
Back to top Go down
Omega
Blackout
Omega

Current Win Points : 481

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 11:52 am

But I don't waaaaaaaant a soap opera!!!! Why can't the blogs do exactly what I want them to do? Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://slenderia.blogspot.com/
zero
Stalked
zero

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 11:53 am

how's your blog doing, Omega?
Back to top Go down
Glomple
Untainted
Glomple

Current Win Points : 18

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 12:50 pm

Eh, there are some blogs where characters get killed off, and those blogs are somewhat realistic. But they get flooded by lesser blogs. There are just too many blogs at the moment. :/

Sorry if I derail the topic in advance...I like your blog, Zero. ^_^
Back to top Go down
zero
Stalked
zero

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 1:14 pm

thank you Glomple! I am humbled by having a few fans. ^^

Personally, I have nothing against at least, characters disappearing and returning, outright death is frowned upon, but sometimes even with that, good stories can come out of it! Of course I refer to Nessa's death/return, which was just hazy enough that we can speculate that she never was lost in truth. And yet with that, we had that great moment in discussion where she wanted to just end everything on my blog.

As long as things don't get all Marvel, where all characters return from death constantly, it won't be too bad.

Look at the fact that Robert never 'died', he simply had a memory erasure and a bout of insanity. Zero went off into the woods, and hasn't returned (much). Even Fizzbomb's departure is open to return, if she decided to do so. The very nature of a blog makes it hard to define a character death without another blogger present.

ie: Fizzbomb to Nessa
B to Rika (grumble grumble)

All that can really be given is the IMPLICATION of death, and this should not be abused, naturally, but it is far from narmy.

Personally I'd have liked to see more ax crazy Rika in the blogs, however B's blog made it quite clear she was ripped to pieces, and that's quite a death to 'recover from'.

What we have had is a threat of death that
Back to top Go down
zero
Stalked
zero

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 1:29 pm

odd, my post didn't finish.

I don't remember how I ended that sentence.

Also, Frap and friends just did a nice big turnaround. I'm impressed with it.
Back to top Go down
Omega
Blackout
Omega

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 2:42 pm

MY BLOG IS DOING JUST FINE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

The problem with using only the threat of death, or death which implies the potential of returning, is that it lessens suspense, as well as cheapens any deaths which do occur.

My problem with it is that Slender Man is supposed to be a killer. Making people disappear, ripping out their organs, driving them to suicide, etc., are all things he's supposed to be doing. And yet it's so rare for him to actually do any of these things. He may kill an unnamed civilian, just so the blog can make sure everyone knows that it's dark and gritty, but so many of the bloggers seem scared to kill off a named character. That's one of the reasons I feel Slender Man isn't as scary as he used to be; we've got too many people resisting him, and yet so few are being killed off because of it.
Back to top Go down
zero
Stalked
zero

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 2:45 pm

chill bro, no harm meant. I don't even remember which blog is yours! I'm just alluding to how things take on their own life when they're discovered and commented on.

You are correct however that he doesn't kill as much as he could. There's an old writer's saying 'kill your babies'. ie: kill the characters you love the most.
Back to top Go down
Omega
Blackout
Omega

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 3:50 pm

zero wrote:
chill bro, no harm meant. I don't even remember which blog is yours! I'm just alluding to how things take on their own life when they're discovered and commented on.

You are correct however that he doesn't kill as much as he could. There's an old writer's saying 'kill your babies'. ie: kill the characters you love the most.

It was in jest; I was never really mad.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
zero
Stalked
zero

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 4:07 pm

your sick mind games get on my nerves

XD
Back to top Go down
Omega
Blackout
Omega

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 12:02 am

Hey, Zero, in case you feel like an ego boost, when one of my friends came asking for examples of blogs he should learn from for his story, I pointed him to yours. His story's plan actually has a lot in common with how yours went. Smile
Back to top Go down
zero
Stalked
zero

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 12:49 am

links or it didn't happen.
Back to top Go down
DaLadybugMan
Blackout
DaLadybugMan

Current Win Points : 488

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 1:56 am

Omega wrote:
But I don't waaaaaaaant a soap opera!!!! Why can't the blogs do exactly what I want them to do? Crying or Very sad

Previously, on These Slender Days!

Ava is pregnant with Reach's baby! Former detective Zeke Strahm is arrested as he attempts to break into headquarters for important documents! Dr. Cairo's attempt to stop the blood-feud between Andy and Omega has instead thrust him into the midst of it! M wakes one morning to find himself face-to-face with a not-quite-dead Damien O'Connor. Jeff's friends and family desperately try to unhallow him for the fifth time! The Rake, after a drunken one-night-stand with HABIT, attempts to hide the news from his lover Slendy! What will happen on this episode, as absolutely everyone who "mysteriously vanished" is revealed to be a member of Nightcrawler's squadron!
Back to top Go down
http://slenderbloggins.net
Omega
Blackout
Omega

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 9:46 am

zero wrote:
links or it didn't happen.

But....
But....
I told him.
With words created by my mouth.
Which then traveled to his ears as sound waves.
How am I supposed to link to a conversation?
Back to top Go down
altiumvidetur
Anxious
altiumvidetur

Current Win Points : 68

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Wait wait wait.

You used your mouth to talk, Omega? Isn't that what the internet is for?

More on topic, siiiiigh. I thought we'd gotten to the end of the giant crossovers/"I'm not afraid of you, oh Eldritch Abomination who destroyed my entire family," thing.

But I guess I can't dictate what happens in the blogs OH WELL.

I thought what happened on What You Are In the Dark was good, but I wish that the choice had actually occurred. I love Reach as a character, and don't want him to die, but if the bloggers keep attaining victories with so few losses, there's just no threat anymore.
Back to top Go down
ParaBellum
Untainted
ParaBellum

Current Win Points : 2

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 2:31 pm

altiumvidetur wrote:
but if the bloggers keep attaining victories with so few losses, there's just no threat anymore.

I was thinking the same thing; although I like seeing the bloggers occasionally win one over Slendy, it's become too excessive. The blogs have become more like thrillers rather than horror stories. It's also annoying that no one seems afraid of the Slender Man anymore; the only exception, it seems, is Jean (which, unless I am mistaken, is your character, altiumvidetur) and Ali B. from Time out of Mind.
Back to top Go down
http://slendermanmustdie.blogspot.com/
elevator_child
Untainted
elevator_child

Current Win Points : 20

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 4:51 pm

A few of the lesser-known bloggers are pretty freaked out by him. Stormecho and Alora of The Scarecrow Experiment leap to mind- they've both brought up their fears fairly frequently.

What do you all think of Robert's forcing Letterman Jacket Guy to take him through the "Other Side"? It sounds to me like he's using it as a (forgive the nerdy reference) subspace highway, and might be explaining how Slender Man gets from one point to another so quickly...do you like this idea, and do you think other bloggers will start taking advantage of it?

Personally I'm not that excited about it. Even if you have to force a proxy to take you there, it could devolve into more superpowered shenanigans and people globe-hopping even more than they already do. On the other hand, if used well, it could open some interesting doors.
Back to top Go down
http://ali-timeoutofmind.blogspot.com/
Stormecho
Untainted
Stormecho

Current Win Points : 7

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 5:41 pm

I am too much of a wimpy geek - the fact that someone on here mentioned my blog is making me squee like a fangirl. x3

I don't really like the near-suicidal bravery a lot of people show. I can understand some of them who have nothing to lose, but I've decided to play my character realistically enough that she's crippled by fear. Frankly, I'd be reacting the exact same way, and probably whining about it on the internet as well. XD
Back to top Go down
Omega
Blackout
Omega

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 6:17 pm

Characters not having fear is fine with me, but only if there's a reason for it. The problem is, such a reason would need to be a major aspect of the character, one of their defining attributes. It's a problem I've started to have with London Librarian; to me, it feels like the "I'm going to die of cancer which is why I'm not afraid of being killed by Slender Man" was just an excuse thrown out early on to explain why she was doing these things, without it having any impact on her. Such a fatalistic attitude should be affecting her beyond how she treats Slender Man; you can't seriously hold such a view and then act like a regular person.

So, in nutshell: Reason for lack of fear needs to be a character trait, not an excuse.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Jeebles
Slendervet
Mr. Jeebles

Current Win Points : 750

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 6:31 pm

Zeke Strahm is a true example of this. It's killing me to write about such a manly character as I sit here typing this, watching carebears with my sisters...
Back to top Go down
http://mrshittymarimo.tumblr.com/
elevator_child
Untainted
elevator_child

Current Win Points : 20

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 4:48 am

Stormecho wrote:
I am too much of a wimpy geek - the fact that someone on here mentioned my blog is making me squee like a fangirl. x3

Smile
I like your blog, Stormy. You've got a believable character and your codes were a lot more sophisticated than a lot of the more recent stuff. They required actual, you know, decoding, rather than just sticking them in a binary converter or reading the capital letters.

Which, by the way, is another thing that I'm annoyed by which seems prevalent in Core Theory blogs- the incessant binary. GUYS. THAT ISN'T SCARY. IT'S JUST ANNOYING.
I'm of the opinion that codes are just irritating rather than intriguing if you can just whang them into a converter instead of expending effort to solve them. If it's a difficult code, it's intriguing, and when you solve it, it feels like you've accomplished something, solved a mystery. But if you have to run literally an entire page of entry and comments through a binary converter without any effort other than copy/paste, it's like, why do I have to do this extra step?

Note that other, non Core Theory blogs use this stuff too, but the binary stuff featured so heavily into what happened to Nessa...I got sick of it and it sort of detracted from this big blogging event.*shrugs*
Back to top Go down
http://ali-timeoutofmind.blogspot.com/
Stormecho
Untainted
Stormecho

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 7:45 am

I had fun throwing codes around for a while, but then had to come up for a reason for doing it. It was definitely amusing because I was trying to make my followers think a little rather than just translate. But then it got mixed up and I realized that codes with no purpose were rather useless and threw in a reason and... here we are.

I didn't see anyone use double or triple-encoded text until I did. And then Scott did as well... was I leaping on a bandwagon or did no one do it before?

Mhm. Binary ceases being scary once you see enough of it. Now you just pull up a tab, open to the translator, and poof, it's decoded. Annoying, because I can't think of some epic scary puzzle at the moment, though that might be because I'm a total noob to this. x3

Oh, and thank you, elevator_child... Er, don't know if you'd prefer being called a nickname or something. x3 But hearing praise makes me doubt my efforts a lot less~
Back to top Go down
ParaBellum
Untainted
ParaBellum

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 7:25 pm

Stormecho wrote:
I didn't see anyone use double or triple-encoded text until I did. And then Scott did as well... was I leaping on a bandwagon or did no one do it before?

I think you were the first who did it. Although, I was thinking about doing a code within a code in the past, as a way for my character to distract Slender Man and Its proxies away from him, but since the binary post didn't scare anyone, I decided to do the code in a code. To be honest, Stormecho, I wasn't really influenced by your blog; I hadn't followed it in a while (although now I'm going back through it; well done, by the way, it's actually scary for once) so that wasn't where I got my idea to use double-coded posts. [clichemoment]Great minds think alike.[/clichemoment]

Stormecho wrote:
Annoying, because I can't think of some epic scary puzzle at the
moment, though that might be because I'm a total noob to this. x3

When I was preparing for the double-coded posts, I found a web site with some codes on it. If you'd like, I can PM you some of them; they include translators though, so you can't tell the audience the code. However, I've found them very useful for preparing my double-coded posts.
Back to top Go down
Stormecho
Untainted
Stormecho

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 7:31 pm

ParaBellum wrote:
(although now I'm going back through it; well done, by the way, it's actually scary for once)

;_;

You seriously found scary moments in there? I admit I'm surprised - the codes were a total asspull because I had decided to make a Slenderblog out of Spiralling, but I didn't plan anything at all. x3 Thus, I didn't plan for any particularly frightening things.

...I am totally psyched that you like it~

Feel free to PM me those! They'd be quite useful if, you know, I ever plan what's going to happen next. I've gotten into the pitfall of only reacting to others and never coming up with anything on my own. :/ I need to break out of that, eventually. Don't know how, though.
Back to top Go down
ParaBellum
Untainted
ParaBellum

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Stormecho wrote:
ParaBellum wrote:
(although now I'm going back through it; well done, by the way, it's actually scary for once)

;_;

You seriously found scary moments in there? I admit I'm surprised - the codes were a total asspull because I had decided to make a Slenderblog out of Spiralling, but I didn't plan anything at all. x3 Thus, I didn't plan for any particularly frightening things.

Yeah.. it was mostly your reaction to events, I think... It's not like you're trying to turn the blog into a Robert Ludlum novel, your character is actually scared for once, which is awesome; it brings the horror back into the Slender Man mythos.

Also, I'm working on the PM now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Core Theory"   "Core Theory" - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

"Core Theory"
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next