Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

General Development question.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kadiekof
Untainted
Kadiekof

Current Win Points : 1

General Development question. Empty
PostSubject: General Development question.   General Development question. EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 3:14 pm

Now I know there is a lot of work in slender vlogs already but I'm going to try and make a well thought out mystery horror one, which they all are. To just give a better and more interesting story the evil doers that aren't slenderman aren't going to be one dimensional characters. I think I'm going to have about 4 human villains and here are about all the personality I can give them.
-excitable and psychotic
-Cold and calculating
-quiet and follower
-Bold leader with serious emotional problems
So if any of you guys could give me feedback on what I could make them do to display this or have a much more diverse character I would love to hear it.
Back to top Go down
housecat94
Untainted
housecat94

Current Win Points : 15

PostSubject: Re: General Development question.   General Development question. EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 7:07 pm

There are some easy ways to make a character cold and calculating, as you want.

Example: "The odds of your surviving this are twelve percent." *stabs*

But that's a bit too easy for my taste. So, let's see what we can do about that. Instead of just stabbing the guy he (or she) is after, he can stab through his ally and into the intended victim. But that doesn't really maintain the calculating part of the character.

Guns. That's it. Make him a crack-shot with a rifle, and have him shoot through some civilians to lodge bullets into the good guys.

Excitable and psychotic seems easy enough, but why bother talking about that when you could simply read some Black Lagoon? Pay particular attention to Revy if you do: she is essentially the character you want.

Quiet and follower. Well, you could go the easy route and just have the character be completely mute, making them incapable of leading, but that's just a bit too easy.

What if you try getting someone who has (or can make) a somewhat wispy voice, breathy and barely audible? The few times that character talks, you can tell that they prefer to stay silent. Make them passive as hell, flinching whenever someone shouts or screams, for example.

For the bold leader with emotional problems, I've got nothing. Sorry about that one. Maybe make him/her a heavy drinker who only reveals his/her problems while drunk? I really have next to nothing on this.

Most of these ideas are subtle, but usable for a vlog. They'd probably work best in a narrative, but they can work in a vlog. A couple of the ideas could easily be swapped out for something better, but most of them are at least decent.

Good luck with your project!
Back to top Go down
Kadiekof
Untainted
Kadiekof

Current Win Points : 1

PostSubject: Re: General Development question.   General Development question. EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Hey thanks I like the feedback I was thinking of keeping them mute but acting out their personalities so that each was distinct rather than flat and inter changeable.
I don't want to reveal too much about the project but a little on the emotional leader would be more of a fear of being alone because of his parents... although that might be a little too cliche?
Back to top Go down
kingxana0
Observer
kingxana0

Current Win Points : 27

PostSubject: Re: General Development question.   General Development question. EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 6:35 pm

I find the best way to avoid cliches is to read up on a lot of the cliches other writers use. Best way for this in my opinion is tvtropes.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilTropes

This is basically a list of all of the different evil things you can find. If you search around enough you will find something or other that could help you create your people and even give a lot of good examples from hundreds of works from t.v., games, books, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Development question.   General Development question. Empty

Back to top Go down

General Development question.
Page 1 of 1