Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Stabbing Incident

Go down 
+8
Magnus96
JadeLightningDash
eudaemon
The Doctor
PlanetNiles
Machine Gun Cynic
MarbleBumblebee
timeobserver2013
12 posters
AuthorMessage
timeobserver2013
Taken
timeobserver2013

Current Win Points : 113

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 8:27 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/02/waukesha-stabbing_n_5434675.html

Two 12 year girls tried to murder their friend in the name of the Slenderman and to become "proxies". The victim survived.

I wish the victim a speedy recovery. 
Back to top Go down
MarbleBumblebee
Anxious
MarbleBumblebee

Current Win Points : 30

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 11:31 pm

I had to check this forum when I saw the story.  How horrific.  
And to think that they had been planning it since December?
The attackers too...  only 12 years old and their lives are largely ruined.

How can this sort of stuff happen?  Is it bad parenting?  Are they just insane?
Back to top Go down
http://Slenderparody.wikispaces.com
Machine Gun Cynic
Taken
Machine Gun Cynic

Current Win Points : 25

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 4:46 am

Mental illness doesn't inherently make people violent, what I think is they stayed up too late, got introduced into it too early, read too many stories claiming he was real, I can't believe anyone would do this, but I know they can. Once you get people believing rubbish like Slenderman is real or racial superiority being a thing, you can get them to do anything.
Back to top Go down
PlanetNiles
Untainted
PlanetNiles

Current Win Points : 4

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 7:12 am

Ultimately aren't we responsible for this? We told these stories, perpetuated the idea of these things being real and now this has happened.

Maybe it's time to break the fourth wall; we have a responsibility to prevent this happening again. Perhaps the active bloggers can all post something together along the lines of "You know this isn't real, right?"
Back to top Go down
http://departmenty.wordpress.com/
MarbleBumblebee
Anxious
MarbleBumblebee

Current Win Points : 30

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 8:47 am

I think that's a good idea.  I follow Troy Wagner and Joseph DeLage on Twitter and I'm looking forward to some kind of response from the MH crew about this.

It appears that they got more of their media from websites and blogs than any of the video series though.
Back to top Go down
http://Slenderparody.wikispaces.com
Machine Gun Cynic
Taken
Machine Gun Cynic

Current Win Points : 25

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 9:09 am

I think that's a good idea, to break out of character and tell people this isn't real. It's horrible they lost the ability to discern realty from fantasy and somebody almost died because of this. We're not responsible for this, but it's easy to feel like we are, so do whatever is you feel you need to do.
Back to top Go down
PlanetNiles
Untainted
PlanetNiles

Current Win Points : 4

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 10:02 am

Back to top Go down
http://departmenty.wordpress.com/
The Doctor
Admin
The Doctor

Current Win Points : 293

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 10:05 am

Okay. I'm going t throw my thoughts in on this:

First, we are not responsible for this tragedy. The idea that we should be held responsible for anything having to do with this is ridiculous. Yes, we write stories and make videos, but they are FICTION. It is not our responsibility to hold people's hands and tell them, "Now don't you worry. This is scary, but definitely not real. Don't go hurting anyone, okay?"  I can see how easy it would be to put blame on ourselves, but these girls were the ones harming another human being, not us. 

Now, putting something together for the victim and the family seems like a good idea to me, and I'm willing to go along with any suggestions made. I'd love to hear ideas and if I can involve this forum in it, I'll be the first to jump on the bandwagon. But understand this: We've seen this kind of situation before. 

SHOOTER CLAIMS HE WAS INFLUENCED BY VIOLENT VIDEO GAMES

Look familiar? 

Bottom line is that, while we are in no way responsible for this horrible thing and, personally, I these girls should face justice based on simply the act itself, I am so definitely not against putting something together for the victim and family.
Back to top Go down
https://slendernation.forumotion.com
eudaemon
Untainted

Current Win Points : 8

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 2:04 pm

I saw this story last night and got into some arguments with a few other series/creator types about it. Yeah, this one hits close to home and it's one of those things that you cross your fingers about and hope like hell never happens.

Let's face the simple fact that unlike a lot of other types of fiction, Slenderman's appeal is partly based on the whole 'in-game' aspect of it that in many ways blurs the lines of reality and brings it closer to a 'But what if it really COULD happen' kind of horror that makes it scarier than a slasher movie or something like that.

The willingness to play a lot closer to the line between reality and non-reality is what a lot of us like about it.

That being said... the entire history of Slenderman is damn near pasted on the wall of every forum including this one telling people that we all know it's fake, don't post 'in-game' or in character, ect.

People still think that the Blair Witch was real and that the whole 'Oh it was just a movie' is a coverup. The same thing with other found footage movies like The Incident in Lake County.

Not to get too post-modern here but once you create something and send it out into the world, everyone that reads/watches/listens to it will find their own meaning in it. Sometimes they will do horrible things in it's name. Every creator should take whatever steps they feel are enough to let them sleep at night knowing this. Our goal should be to make sure that people interpret it in the intended way but at the end of the day, your reader/viewers are in control of their own actions.

As The Doctor said, there isn't really anything we could do but not create and even then, perhaps a Rake story might have been what they fixated on, or Candle Cove, or a thousand other scary stories. Heck, maybe they would have just been old fashioned and decided to summon Satan instead.

The perpetrators need help and the victim needs to recover and I'd be all for some kind of fund or something for the victim. One thing to keep in mind though.... the victims family really needs to be asked first, having a fund established by 'Those people that wrote those stories that almost got our daughter killed' might be an unfair reaction but it would be an understandable one that they might have. Please just keep that in mind.
Back to top Go down
timeobserver2013
Taken
timeobserver2013

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 4:05 pm

I'd gladly would take part in a fund or promote it (I only have Dogecoin if it were to take place....but I would like to take part in it nonetheless).

But yeah, as I've been reading the articles and watching the news, it seems like the idea of the fakelore has been hard to process and some people see it as too real per eudaemon

Most important thing for now is to give support to the victim and her family, but just be careful with the negative press.
Back to top Go down
JadeLightningDash
Anxious
JadeLightningDash

Current Win Points : 42

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 4:37 pm

That's horrible. I hope the guy has a speedy recovery. I fear this'll have a negative impact on the mythos, and in my opinion, little kids shouldn't be reading fictional horror stories like this on the internet. They might not be mature enough to realize what's a work of fiction and what's reality. The blog might claim that The Tall One is real to add a sense of realism to the story despite it being fictional, but a little kid reading it might not know any better and believe that he really exists. 

This saddens and disturbs me greatly. I'm not sure what's to happen next for the mythos.
Back to top Go down
Magnus96
Untainted
Magnus96

Current Win Points : 3

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 6:47 pm

This is just horrible. Seriously, what is this world coming to nowadays?

I don't think children should be into stuff like the Slender man mythos or creepypasta unless they can tell reality from fantasy. This is probably going to have a devastating effect on the mythos. My heart goes out to the victim, I hope they will be okay.
Back to top Go down
Todesfurcht
Observer
Todesfurcht

Current Win Points : 69

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 9:43 pm

Wanting them to spend the rest of their lives in prison over something they did when they were twelve is terrible.
Especially since people have done worse and gotten less jail time. Something isn't adding up here.

Last edited by Todesfurcht on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
otoryuo
Untainted

Current Win Points : 5

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 10:10 pm

This is horrible, and I agree that we, as a community, should try and put something together for the victim, with their permission.
Back to top Go down
http://shadowguardian.blogspot.com
Hallow Sleeper
Observer
Hallow Sleeper

Current Win Points : 23

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 12:20 pm

You can get 60+ years in prison as a twelve year old, for stabbing someone, the victim surviving, and obviously being quite a bit off in the sanity department?

I doubt they're getting prison time.  They're twelve.  Can you even be charged as an adult when you're barely older than ten and it's absolutely clear it was a crime of someone who needs therapy and mental treatment out the wazoo?

Adults who went on massive killing sprees have gotten less than the maximum of what these girls can get.
Back to top Go down
timeobserver2013
Taken
timeobserver2013

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 3:04 pm

There are different judges in each case, so the results are different.

Based on the fact that the victim got stabbed 19 times, I think they should be charged as adults, but the sentence should be focused on more on psychological help.

As for the parents, there is evidence based on their social media record , especiallythat they sort of committed neglect (if you want the source, I'll try find it).
Back to top Go down
eudaemon
Untainted

Current Win Points : 8

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Unlike a lot of people, I actually think that charging them as adults seems a bit overboard. They are 12, they obviously have issues with reality discernment, but they are still young. Yes, I'm sure they know on a general level that killing is wrong but I also think that the reality of their crime isn't well understood by them.

The sensational nature of the crime will push the prosecutors to try and get them tried as adults since that could make their careers but I do hope that the judges involved get the accused psychological tests (which seems warranted) and while I don't doubt that they will be locked up till they are 18 where ever they end up, I think the possibility of rehabilitation and treatment and saving 3 lives instead of saving 1 and destroying 2 should at least be on the table.
Back to top Go down
timeobserver2013
Taken
timeobserver2013

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 9:27 pm

Nonetheless, I still believe in psychological help and that should come first before any of the sentences.

On the side note, The Guardian has recently published an article on the Slenderverse itself: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/04/slender-man-online-character-wisconsin-stabbings?CMP=twt_gu

I have a much more profound respect towards this news site.

Edit: The /r/slender_man community also found this accurately written article as well (http://www.hlntv.com/article/2014/06/03/slenderman-internet-myth-meme-horror-monster-wisconsin-girls-stabbing)

As much as I am sharing these things, I hope I am not going too far with this, if so, please do tell me.
Back to top Go down
otoryuo
Untainted

Current Win Points : 5

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:58 am

So, I've had quite a few people bring this up with me, over skype, facebook, and IRL.  

We need some sort of community response, or at least some sort of "how to respond if someone brings up the stabbing."  I'm nervous to respond to these, especially when I get stuff like "You know you're to blame for this, right?"

One guy even told me that "these girls did it to please my god."
Back to top Go down
http://shadowguardian.blogspot.com
Magnus96
Untainted
Magnus96

Current Win Points : 3

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 10:45 pm

Well I do believe that 60 years may be extreme for 12 year olds, I still think they need some psychological help. They are old enough to know right from wrong but obviously have something wrong with them.

I do think they should be tried as adults though, they're old enough to know right from wrong and fiction from reality(Or at least they should know) but that doesn't necessarily mean I think they deserve life or 60 years.
Back to top Go down
NearTheEnd
Blackout
NearTheEnd

Current Win Points : 217

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 3:23 am

Whew, this thing is getting some attention. I agree with the general consensus that they (and anyone else who actually believes Slenderman is real) really do need some psychological help. This is a very sad and very sensitive story. And it goes without saying, this is NOT what any creator wanted. 
However, we are not to blame for this what so ever. Did J.D. Salinger tell Mark David Chapman to shoot John Lennon? No. All he did was write a book, but yet Chapman still believed Catcher in the Rye was telling him to shoot Lennon. And like Salinger, our goal was just to entertain and/or get our creativity out in the open. No sane human being would deliberately ask for this sort of thing to happen. 
By the way, did you guys hear of the "Its Creativity; Not Reality" thing?
Back to top Go down
http://rach-quit.tumblr.com
timeobserver2013
Taken
timeobserver2013

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 8:22 am

That's what I'm nervous about. 

Even though we condemn the actions of the stabbers, is that necessary to rub it in the victim's family's faces?

Also, it'll give the media more excuse to blame us, blame Trosephim, and all the creators because of a few fans who are crossing the line.
Back to top Go down
NearTheEnd
Blackout
NearTheEnd

Current Win Points : 217

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:55 pm

That's what people are already doing, unfortunately. I don't know so much about rubbing it in their faces as much as just trying to show support. I don't know, there's a fine line between the two, really. Long story short, people are going to do and say whatever they want. People are going to be violent and other people are going to try and find a reason why. Violent video games, a book that drops the f-bomb a few times, and in this case, the internet's boogeyman.
Back to top Go down
http://rach-quit.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

Stabbing Incident Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stabbing Incident   Stabbing Incident Empty

Back to top Go down

Stabbing Incident
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Slender Nation :: SN Community-
Jump to: