Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

I'm new to this

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ShaunTorrence
Untainted
ShaunTorrence

Current Win Points : 8

I'm new to this Empty
PostSubject: I'm new to this   I'm new to this EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 1:06 pm

I just recently started an ARG and I've started to hit a wall. I'm feeling a bit inadequate about the whole thing because of limited resources (Have yet to really gather a cast or anybody interested in role-playing their way through a video, and I have yet to find a way to do video editing that makes convincing Slender Man distortion effects).
Do any veterans have advice for a newbie?
Back to top Go down
Zander
Survivor
Zander

Current Win Points : 640

I'm new to this Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new to this   I'm new to this EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 1:27 pm

well that's the thing with ARGs. All about planning. If you rush into it too fast it will burn out and you won't get anywhere near to the potential you could have.

As for video distortions, do you have any video editing programs?
Back to top Go down
ShaunTorrence
Untainted
ShaunTorrence

I'm new to this Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new to this   I'm new to this EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 1:38 pm

@Zander
Thank you for replying Very Happy
I do see where you're coming from with the planning aspect and I've put some significant time and thought into the overhanging plot, but it seems like ARGS require a certain element of unpredictability and influence from the other cast members, like in any form of role playing.
As for video editing, I'm pretty restricted. So far I've done some fairly basic stuff through iMovie, but it's not exactly an advanced editing tool by any means. However, I can access FinalCutPro from the computer lab at my college. Any chance that could be of use?
Back to top Go down
Zander
Survivor
Zander

Current Win Points : 640

I'm new to this Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new to this   I'm new to this EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 2:49 pm

The unpredictability is hard to work with but you can control how much unpredictability there is. While freedom is a good thing, you need to be able to manage everything within a decent range or else you might lose hold of it.

I've used iMovie before and it's not that great with effects for distortion. I don't know anything about FinalCutPro but in general I'd recommend experimenting with different programs and see what you can and can't do.
Back to top Go down
ShaunTorrence
Untainted
ShaunTorrence

I'm new to this Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new to this   I'm new to this EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 2:57 pm

@Zander
Okay thank you Smile I'll keep that in mind.
Audacity has been great for generating the static noise sounds for the distortion bits, but the stuff like visual static and tearing (or whatever you call it when the bottom portion of the video is cut and moved up to the top or vice versa) continues to elude me. Anyway, I'll give FinalCutPro a shot and see what I can find.
Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
The Slender Man
Anxious
The Slender Man

Current Win Points : 21

I'm new to this Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new to this   I'm new to this EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 10:41 am

Welcome to the forums.
Enjoy your stay.
Back to top Go down
Zetto1995
Watched
Zetto1995

Current Win Points : 11

I'm new to this Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new to this   I'm new to this EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 12:09 pm

Yo man, If you want something really awesome for video editing try sony vegas.
Back to top Go down
http://furfishandfire.blogspot.ca/
ShaunTorrence
Untainted
ShaunTorrence

I'm new to this Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new to this   I'm new to this EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 12:18 pm

@Zetto1995
Can I get away with using the $45 Vegas Movie Studio HD or do I need one of the more expensive versions?
And thanks for the suggestion by the way. I've heard a lot about Vegas, I just didn't really look into it because I'm running on a pretty much nonexistent budget for the time being. But if the $45 can do what I need, I think it'd be a worthy investment.
Back to top Go down
Zetto1995
Watched
Zetto1995

I'm new to this Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new to this   I'm new to this EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 12:22 pm

ShaunTorrence wrote:
@Zetto1995
Can I get away with using the $45 Vegas Movie Studio HD or do I need one of the more expensive versions?
And thanks for the suggestion by the way. I've heard a lot about Vegas, I just didn't really look into it because I'm running on a pretty much nonexistent budget for the time being. But if the $45 can do what I need, I think it'd be a worthy investment.

You dont need to pay one cent man! I get by just fine with the demo version.I'm new to this 1600318209
Back to top Go down
ShaunTorrence
Untainted
ShaunTorrence

I'm new to this Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new to this   I'm new to this EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 12:31 pm

@Zetto1995
Really?! Wow, I've got to give this a try right now. Thank you for the awesome info!
Back to top Go down
Zetto1995
Watched
Zetto1995

I'm new to this Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new to this   I'm new to this EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 2:05 pm

ShaunTorrence wrote:
@Zetto1995
Really?! Wow, I've got to give this a try right now. Thank you for the awesome info!

No probs man, Thats what i'm here for.I'm new to this 1600318209
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I'm new to this Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new to this   I'm new to this Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm new to this
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Slender Man Series :: Out-of-Game Trailheads-
Jump to: