Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Special Effects

Go down 
+2
SoulEatingBunny
whateverworks
6 posters
AuthorMessage
whateverworks
Untainted

Current Win Points : 0

Special Effects Empty
PostSubject: Special Effects   Special Effects EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Has anyone put thought into the effects used in Marble Hornets? The videos shorting out were good, Except videos don't do that when they malfunction. The weird stuff was cool, but unrealistic. How did they do that? I would love to get a program like that.
Back to top Go down
http://slendersurvivor.blogspot.com/
whateverworks
Untainted

Special Effects Empty
PostSubject: Marble Hornets Slender Man   Special Effects EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 8:28 pm

Am I the only one who thinks he's a manniquin? I swear to god he belongs at JC Penny. That's why he never moves.
Back to top Go down
SoulEatingBunny
Anxious
SoulEatingBunny

Current Win Points : 6

Special Effects Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Effects   Special Effects EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 8:57 pm

He moves all of the time in Marble Hornets, and I'm pretty sure it's the only series that shows Him actually running.
Back to top Go down
SoulEatingBunny
Anxious
SoulEatingBunny

Current Win Points : 6

Special Effects Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Effects   Special Effects EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 9:03 pm

I'm pretty sure the Marble Hornets guys use Sony Vegas to edit their videos.
They use the Offset effect to do the little visual tearing at the bottom of the screen that's featured in the first couple entries.
Tribe Twelve uses Adobe After Effects, which is much more complicated than Vegas, but has more effects to choose from
Back to top Go down
BananaBrains
Taken
BananaBrains

Current Win Points : 270

Special Effects Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Effects   Special Effects EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 9:37 pm

MOD EDIT: Topics merged, and moved to appropriate subforum.

The Video Series Trailheads subforum is for discussing the events of the series, rather than the behind-the-scenes aspects of it.
Back to top Go down
DarkShadows
Blackout
DarkShadows

Current Win Points : 32

Special Effects Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Effects   Special Effects EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 9:42 pm

whateverworks wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks he's a manniquin? I swear to god he belongs at JC Penny. That's why he never moves.

Seems to just be a very good, very patient actor to me. Yes it is possible for someone to stand THAT still, if they're good at acting.

Actually... now that I've rewatched MH and thought on it... it could be a combination, or still images composited into the clips. There's definitely an actor in-costume for some entries and appearances, probably on stilts with arm extensions. Plus some of the scenes (like the one with Jay recording at the brick things in the park) are occurring too quick between transitions for a stop-filming-to-move-Operator-dummy moment; they look like continuous filming. There may also be a dummy as well, but I think it's used for scenes where we are definitely not seeing Slendy approach anyone or otherwise enter a room. I think it depends on what is called for at the time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wordflow.webs.com
whateverworks
Untainted

Special Effects Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Effects   Special Effects EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 4:14 pm

BananaBrains wrote:
MOD EDIT: Topics merged, and moved to appropriate subforum.

The Video Series Trailheads subforum is for discussing the events of the series, rather than the behind-the-scenes aspects of it.

Then where would you post this? none of the other subforums seemed to fit. Sorry for putting it in the wrong place though.
Back to top Go down
BananaBrains
Taken
BananaBrains

Current Win Points : 270

Special Effects Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Effects   Special Effects EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 4:21 pm

whateverworks wrote:
Then where would you post this? none of the other subforums seemed to fit. Sorry for putting it in the wrong place though.

Out-of-game discussion, where I moved it to. This is the subforum for discussing things like special effects and the technical aspects of series! :]
Back to top Go down
Aut0tr0ph
Untainted

Special Effects Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Effects   Special Effects EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 12:02 pm

SoulEatingBunny wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Marble Hornets guys use Sony Vegas to edit their videos.
They use the Offset effect to do the little visual tearing at the bottom of the screen that's featured in the first couple entries.
Tribe Twelve uses Adobe After Effects, which is much more complicated than Vegas, but has more effects to choose from

I use adobe after effects as well. For example, I used it in my own Slender Fan Film. It is a very nice program, by far the best out there for special effects.
Back to top Go down
DarkShadows
Blackout
DarkShadows

Current Win Points : 32

Special Effects Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Effects   Special Effects EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 5:02 pm

Well fancy programs aren't a necessity really. When I did my own short, impromptu Slenderman found footage film, I just used a filter pack I installed into Windows Movie Maker that added like a bajillion new effects and transitions and overlays and stuff (including an Offset effect for visual tearing, scan lines, noise filters, etc.), and found clips of static noise (both video and sound) to use. I also made some of the sound effects myself in Audacity (a freeware program) and used it to edit the audio in general. There was even a clip of myself I had saying. "Maybe we should turn back" that I looped the end of, recorded it playing through my laptop's speakers (so it sounded tinny and washed out), and added some noise filters and mixed in low hums. Audacity's a great tool for sound effects and audio editing; I highly recommend it.

tl;dr - you don't need the best to have good effects or for your series to be good, but if you can get better programs, then do it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wordflow.webs.com
DKaine
Anxious
DKaine

Current Win Points : 16

Special Effects Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Effects   Special Effects EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 1:40 am

If you're looking for a more digital look, you can experiment with various forms of datamoshing. Hopefully you're more patient than I am, because I really wasn't able to get consistent results with it, but it looks like you could really get some neat effects out of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Special Effects Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Effects   Special Effects Empty

Back to top Go down

Special Effects
Page 1 of 1