Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality?

Go down 
+9
spawn250
JadeLightningDash
otoryuo
Magnus96
Enigma-Kal
timeobserver2013
SalvatoreHaran
Peppercorn
Todesfurcht
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Todesfurcht
Observer
Todesfurcht

Current Win Points : 69

Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality? Empty
PostSubject: Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality?   Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality? EmptyFri May 09, 2014 7:39 pm

A lot of people consider him a heartless being, but the thing is, he's intelligent.
I'm assuming he has a broad range of emotions.
In most stories, fanfictions, vlogs, and blogs, he is just known as this heartless killing and stalking machine. That's all they ever show...How cruel he is. There's no headcanons, or things adapted into canon that actually revolve around who he is.
With the assumption that Slenderman is much more evolved than us could mean one of two things:
1. He no longer needs emotions/feelings/personality.
2. He is able to hide them.
But even then...That doesn't really answer the question. Is it just that these traits would effect his horror appeal? Why do people never include things about the man himself? And why isn't there a series strictly based around Slenderman?

Let me see what you guys think!
Back to top Go down
Peppercorn
Anxious
Peppercorn

Current Win Points : 24

PostSubject: Re: Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality?   Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality? EmptyFri May 09, 2014 9:36 pm

Horror appeal is probably why. Giving the Slender Man understandable motivations would make him more human, therefore less of a mystery, therefore less scary. It would be cool for a series to be based on analyzing how he works, but as a rule of thumb it's usually been scarier to leave things ambiguous enough that it's only just a possibility he has purposes or emotions.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/LaPeppercorn
SalvatoreHaran
Watched
SalvatoreHaran

Current Win Points : 73

PostSubject: Re: Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality?   Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality? EmptySat May 10, 2014 2:02 pm

I have my Slenderman portray emotions

Then again I have thrown out my horror element more or less and am now just trying to tell a story rather then scare people
Back to top Go down
http://salvatoreharan.tumblr.com/
timeobserver2013
Taken
timeobserver2013

Current Win Points : 113

PostSubject: Re: Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality?   Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality? EmptySun May 11, 2014 1:25 am

Maybe his emotions are mysterious, but I say he knows when he can moderate himself.
Back to top Go down
Enigma-Kal
Untainted
Enigma-Kal

Current Win Points : 3

PostSubject: Re: Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality?   Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality? EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 1:09 pm

If you ask me, the most important thing about the Slender Man is that it's horrifying. The easiest way to make something scary is to make it alien and unknown.
Thus, I prefer the Slender Man to be inscrutable but generally menacing, with only a few inconsistencies of friendliness to emphasize how unknowable it is.
Back to top Go down
Magnus96
Untainted
Magnus96

PostSubject: Re: Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality?   Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality? EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 12:22 am

The thing I like about Slendy is the mystery. He could have emotions, but emtions beyond what humans can comprehend.

I've seen renditions of him with emotions before, I like when he portrays some emotion but I really don't find it interesting if he's a completely emotional character. I like it better when his thoughts, motivations, and feelings are left a mystery.
Back to top Go down
otoryuo
Untainted

Current Win Points : 5

PostSubject: Re: Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality?   Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality? EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 3:00 am

I think that he definitely has some form of emotions, but that they are either different from or beyond human emotion.  

There are definitely parallels to amusement, anger, and curiousity.  

I think that a slenderman with some emotion is great, but when it reaches h(a)unted levels then it's just straight up wifin.
Back to top Go down
http://shadowguardian.blogspot.com
JadeLightningDash
Anxious
JadeLightningDash

Current Win Points : 42

PostSubject: Re: Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality?   Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality? EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 6:24 pm

Hmmm. The Tall One's motives are unknown. We really don't know too much about what it is and where it comes from, so trying to figure out the emotions and feelings of a creature we know little about is rather tricky. If it does emit sigma radiation that interferes with cameras, maybe someone could feel that radiation when standing close to him. Maybe how strongly he emits this radiation is an indicator of emotion. The Tall One might also be telepathic, and transmit thoughts or emotions to someone standing nearby. I'm not too sure at the moment. Very puzzling.
Back to top Go down
spawn250
Anxious

Current Win Points : 26

PostSubject: Re: Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality?   Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality? EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 9:45 pm

I personally believe that the answer depends on the creator. For instance, in my original series it seemed as though he had no emotions or thoughts other than "I'm gonna kill these kids." At the end I made him say in a very distorted hard to understand voice, "This isn't over, I'll be back." So in my story he did have emotions he just didn't need to share them until the end.
Back to top Go down
level100nidoking
Stalked
level100nidoking

Current Win Points : 66

PostSubject: Re: Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality?   Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality? EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 12:51 am

I've always had this theory:

I think slenderman knows what people will become. I think if there was no slenderman, maybe characters like Jay would become the next hitler or maybe Tim is actually Hannibal Lecter, and slenderman knows this. Maybe slenderman does this to stop worse things from happening, and the other people who die are just in the crossfire. Or he's a fucking asshole. Personally I'm leaning torwards the second part.
Back to top Go down
http://mrsaturnjr.com/
Swallowedglass
Untainted
Swallowedglass

Location : Slenderverse Cafeteria, the second table from the left.

PostSubject: Re: Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality?   Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 7:29 am

I think Slenderman has some emotions, like someone already said, Amusement, Anger, curiousity... Also his amusement is probably twisted. I somehow can't see Slenderman hearing a joke and laughing in amusement. It has to be that twisted joy he gets from slowly tormenting his victims.That's what I think, at least.
Back to top Go down
http://dark3z.blogspot.com/
arduousVestibule
Untainted
arduousVestibule

Current Win Points : 1

PostSubject: Re: Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality?   Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality? EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 11:32 pm

Personally I am fond of the idea of him having a form of emotion, but not in a way that humans would be able to understand it. Absolutely every concept of him is alien. The only thing human about him is that he stands on two legs like a human and wears a suit. The suit itself is, again as I like to believe, is just an attempt at not being so alien, or maybe even to blend in. But just as he is so alien to us, we're alien to him so even that ends up as strange.

I like the idea of emotions he displays wouldn't be in a form of anything physical like a movement he makes. Distorting the world around him is a favored idea but that can be difficult to portray and understand. (but then again who says you have to understand, or if you even can?) He's an enigma.
Back to top Go down
Etreo
Runner
Etreo

Current Win Points : 261

PostSubject: Re: Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality?   Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality? EmptyFri Jul 04, 2014 3:51 pm

Peppercorn wrote:
Horror appeal is probably why. Giving the Slender Man understandable motivations would make him more human, therefore less of a mystery, therefore less scary. It would be cool for a series to be based on analyzing how he works, but as a rule of thumb it's usually been scarier to leave things ambiguous enough that it's only just a possibility he has purposes or emotions.
This.

Lovecraftian horror doesn't just play upon the unknown, it skins it and uses the resulting product as a morphsuit and jumps out at you whilst wearing it. The thing that makes Slendy so terrifying is that he may have emotions, but you don't know them. You can't know them. Slenderman is so utterly, terrifyingly, awesomely outside of human comprehension, that simply being briefly exposed to him can destroy your psyche. Digital cameras malfunction and distort their images in ways that shouldn't even be possible simply because his presence is so unknowably awful that even technology cannot even function in his immediate vicinity. Understanding him only leads to death, depravity or worse.

Not actually a spoiler but doesn't fit the tone of the rest of the post.:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality?   Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does Slenderman have emotions/feelings/personality?
Page 1 of 1