Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

The Blogs: 4th Generation

Go down 
+22
alliterator
ChaosGamma
Phenom
Shayde
Allan Assiduity
Konaa
SliceandDice
CuteWithoutThe
Zuckerman
Bard
Michenab
Omega
Zander
SickSlickMan
LisaEvermore
Glomple
Reach
Thage the Minithulu
zero
DaLadybugMan
Chestevieve
James the Cartographer
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
James the Cartographer
Untainted
James the Cartographer

Current Win Points : 4

The Blogs: 4th Generation Empty
PostSubject: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 8:03 pm

Hello everyone.

If you keep in touch with the blogs, you may have noticed a change in the pace of the bloggers.

Everyone's becoming more active and making organizations.

Well, it all started with a blog called Let Us Keep Living .

Organizations like The Isabel Initiative/Keeper Alliance have started a huge raise in direct fighting/knowledge gathering activity on Slender Man.

So, I made this thread to catalog what everyone thinks 4th Generation is
and to confirm material to enter it in.

Make sure to note certain blogs and bloggers.

Anyone who's a member of either previously named organization can also pop in to say HI!

Hope you have a fun time here.

-James the Cartographer Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chestevieve
Untainted

Current Win Points : 8

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 9:20 pm

I'd say most of the blogs active currently are either third or fourth generation. Depends what you define "Generation 3" and "Generation 4" blogs as. As a general rule most people seem to consider the "Core Theory" Generation 2...but what are the defining characteristics for 3 and 4? What about blogs (such as yours) that cross two or more generations? What do we classify them as- the generation they started in, or what?

--Vivi
Back to top Go down
http://vieveandchester.tumblr.com
James the Cartographer
Untainted
James the Cartographer

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 9:58 pm

Generation 3:

-Any blog that started before Zero's reign as a Sage and or participated in his Tulpa Theory blogger event, i.e. Solstice Battle.

-Any blog that specifically mentions massive Proxy activity prior to Zero's disappearance.

-Any blog that mentions events related to the titled and Robert's reign as the Guardian.

Generation 4:

-Any blog that starts an organization.

-And blog that starts Massive research and otherwise on Slendy.

-Any blog that mentions the cure and its mass production.

As for classifying our blogs:

Since you two and I started during Zero's early reign, we're third generation bloggers.

However, we have transitioned into the 4th Gen.
Back to top Go down
Chestevieve
Untainted

Current Win Points : 8

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 10:21 pm

Interesting. I'd say you're right about the defining traits of the generations. A lot of the blogs seem research-oriented now, whether it's ways we could kill the Slender Man, to collating information on things like the cure and proxies, to historical events that could be associated with Slender Man (I think the latter especially is a nice touch) whereas Gen 2 and 3 were more combat-y.

--Chess

Back to top Go down
http://vieveandchester.tumblr.com
DaLadybugMan
Blackout
DaLadybugMan

Current Win Points : 488

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 11:45 pm

I'd also define blogs that frequently involve physically meeting up with other bloggers as 4th Gen. That seems to be a huge staple lately.

Let's see here...

What You Are In The Dark started as 3rd Gen, then transitioned into 4th Gen. In fact, it's quite possible that Reach and Ava (from The London Librarian) kicked that off when they started traveling together.

I'd call all the NAPPA blogs one part of that 4th Generation. That would include everyone here, as well as a few other bloggers, like Pete, Ron, Will, and Slice. I think. I've only read two of those four blogs.
Back to top Go down
http://slenderbloggins.net
zero
Stalked
zero

Current Win Points : 115

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 11:24 am

I'm not certain I like blogger based organizations. Certainly the cohesion and interaction between blogs was what gave my generation its charm. I mean, if you guys can name one event from what happened during my blog's span, what would you remember?

Spoiler:

However, I just don't see a point to some grand organization to fight the Slender Man. It has no definition, and frankly gives too much for people to be able to rely on. The helplessness is half of the blog. The other half is a descent into madness, both of which we are getting short on.

What replaces this is interesting however! A named antagonist, people working together, cunning plans. It's sort of become more of a hacker movie/action film than the original. I think I'd like to see this concept taken to another theme, and see how it works.
Back to top Go down
Thage the Minithulu
Observer
Thage the Minithulu

Current Win Points : 84

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 11:35 am

I liked the Core Theory, and I like this latest organization kick the blog-based ARG is on, provided one thing--they fail. A lot of the problems in the Gen 3 and 4 blogs is they they're fostering an action movie mindset, and I'm speaking as someone who fell into that pitfall on PNSN. It seems to be leading towards Slender Man Visits Ronapur rather than "HOLY SHIT THIS GUY IS GOING TO KILL ME /rock back and forth".

Gen 4 also seems to feature more elite-Proxy activity, such as Redlight's sudden burst into a major antagonist role, Fisk's return as a sort of third-wheel antagonist, and more emphasis on one big named Proxy rather than dealing with multiple nameless mooks. This could go either way--it could end up as narmy and poorly-executed as LOST and Fizzbomb's Night of the Living Dead (which I later retconned into a hallucination on realizing how fucking retarded that was), or it could be a brilliant addition to the mythos, turning it into a real crapsack world where nobody gives a shit about the bloggers but themselves.
Back to top Go down
zero
Stalked
zero

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 11:55 am

good points Thage. Elite proxies are fun, so long as they can remain threats, and less mooks.

But yes overall, we need to keep failing
Back to top Go down
Reach
Untainted
Reach

Current Win Points : 66

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 4:23 pm

I have to say, I was very excited with how Redlight was developing into a pretty awesome villain and then Robert came along with the Redlight-as-group thing. I liked how Redlight was basically just one guy who had his fingers in every tart and was playing everybody against each other, then it turned out there was more than one of him and I was like :/. Kinda killed the awesome for me.
Back to top Go down
Glomple
Untainted
Glomple

Current Win Points : 18

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 4:35 pm

Er, shouldn't 4th generation just be the time blogs start? What happens to the blogs that decide not to conform to a certain plotline? Do they just get thrown out?
Back to top Go down
DaLadybugMan
Blackout
DaLadybugMan

Current Win Points : 488

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 5:57 pm

The generations are based more on genre and impact than time. It's unfortunate that a lot of really good blogs, like Musical Occurrences, Hiking Fiend, and several others that I can't really think of right now don't get classified in any definite generation. I guess they'd go by general time era, but they'd sorta be their own genre. They do more experimentation, which was never really part of the blogs, apart from the transition phases. They're usually more 2nd gen in style, but they're definitely not 2nd gen....

Hmm. We need a name for a genre we can put these others in. Because the best way to promote creativity is to attempt to force it into defined patterns, right?
Back to top Go down
http://slenderbloggins.net
zero
Stalked
zero

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 5:57 pm

Reach wrote:
I have to say, I was very excited with how Redlight was developing into a pretty awesome villain and then Robert came along with the Redlight-as-group thing. I liked how Redlight was basically just one guy who had his fingers in every tart and was playing everybody against each other, then it turned out there was more than one of him and I was like :/. Kinda killed the awesome for me.

if people don't like it, it'll disappear, again, chaotic fiction at work Very Happy
Back to top Go down
zero
Stalked
zero

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 6:00 pm

DaLadyBugMan wrote:
The generations are based more on genre and impact than time. It's unfortunate that a lot of really good blogs, like Musical Occurrences, Hiking Fiend, and several others that I can't really think of right now don't get classified in any definite generation. I guess they'd go by general time era, but they'd sorta be their own genre. They do more experimentation, which was never really part of the blogs, apart from the transition phases. They're usually more 2nd gen in style, but they're definitely not 2nd gen....

Hmm. We need a name for a genre we can put these others in. Because the best way to promote creativity is to attempt to force it into defined patterns, right?

stand-alone and unified?
Back to top Go down
LisaEvermore
Taken
LisaEvermore

Current Win Points : 139

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 1:03 am

The whole generation categorizing of Slenderblogs fascinates and confuses me. I really can't wait for the podcast to come out and explain all this and what makes something 3rd Gen vs. 4th Gen.
Back to top Go down
http://littlemsgreeneyes.tumblr.com/
zero
Stalked
zero

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 6:27 am

I'd say the barrier between 3rd and 4th is much more hazy than 1st and 2nd, or even 2nd/3rd.

This is probably because a number of blogs have been around since my gen, and have just adapted slightly to the general mood.
Back to top Go down
SickSlickMan
Untainted

Current Win Points : 30

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 10:54 am

I've thought about this for a while, and I've come up with what I feel is a good list:

1st Gen- Just Another Fool. No other way to look at it, it was the first and the granddaddy. Everything that was with it at the time- Who Are You, In My Head, In My Mind, Curious Little Girl, etc.- are also be 1st Gen blogs. I'd say when Curious Little Girl stopped posting was when 1st Gen truly ended. 1st Gen represented the helplessness and audacity of Slender Man.

2nd Gen- started with Seeking Truth, consisted of blogs such as The Tutorial, A Lack of Lexicon, and A Rainbow Life. Dreams in Darkness ending could constitute as 2nd Gen's ending, even though blogs within 2nd Gen are still ongoing. 2nd Gen represented resistance, opposition, refusal to roll over and die.

3rd Gen- started in late August/early September, when Robert started his adventures. Blogs involved include Make it Count, Lost Within the Green Sky, a hint at serendipity, Observe and Terminate and all two thousand other blogs in between. Ended when Zero died, though obviously you've got your survivor blogs still going. 3rd Gen represented idealism, unity, and also showed off Slender Man's manipulative nature.

4th Gen- this is hard to say. I think The Mystic kick-started it, but finding the start for me is tricky, because honestly I haven't been paying as much attention to other blogs as of late. Blogs definitely include London Librarian and the NAPPA stuff that I haven't acknowledged at all. 4th Gen seems to further represent the qualities of 3rd Gen, this time adding in Fisk as a primary antagonist, and seems to focus a lot more on unity. It is also beginning to look more into Slender Man's history.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/SickSilckMan?feature=mhum
James the Cartographer
Untainted
James the Cartographer

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 1:37 pm

I may have to correct you there, Slick.

I thought it may have started like this:

The Mystic was more of a late third generation blog running into the fourth, and while Zeke Strahm did start the fight against proxies in Generation 2 and is still an integral character to the mythos, I can't say he was the person who kicked off the Fourth Generation.

The Fourth Generation unlike the third encompasses organizations started around collecting information and understanding Slender Man. That and the continual attacks/ protection of the proxies. Bloggers are banding together to fight and stay alive against Slender Man after Zero's attack at the end of the Third Generation.

What seems like the initial start of Fourth Gen came after the heroic death of Isabel "Fizzbomb" Dorter near the end of the Third Generation. Then Jeff, the leader of Let Us Live then started the Isabel Initiative and the Keeper Alliance to lead to the creation of NAPPA in Fourth Gen. Therefore, Generation Four started later than the Mystic.

For more information, please see the 4th Episode of the Slender Nation Podcast at : http://slendernationpodcast.blogspot.com/2011/03/4th-gen.html.

Have a Nice Day Smile
-James the Cartographer
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 3:55 pm

To be honest, Slick, I don't know why you'd say that The Mystic started Gen Four. It seems like a fairly solid example of a Gen Three blog. Maybe you're getting Gen Three mixed up with Core Theory. What exactly did The Mystic do that encouraged a change in how bloggers approached the problem of Slender Man? Unless The Mystic altered their outlook in a major way, I don't think it could be fairly said to have started Gen Four.

Also, I don't think I've seen more than a few blogs which included Fisk as an antagonist. Make It Count is one... but Redlight seems to be a more popular communal character.

James here defines Gen Four as the start of "blogger organizations," which would make sense - though to be fair, not all the bloggers have joined up in a specifically scientific way. (However, it's rare nowadays to see a real stand-alone blog - something that could be attributed to Chase's list making every slenderblog in existence accessible to anyone, gamejacker or not.)

To sum all that rambling up, I don't know if we could pin the start of another gen on any one blog. :/ There's been a lot of changes lately and so many ideas out there. Why even call them generations? The term would imply more cooperation and oversight than I think is actually going on.
Back to top Go down
LisaEvermore
Taken
LisaEvermore

Current Win Points : 139

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 6:36 pm

This is just confusing me more.

lights it on fire

So, it isn't a set timeline? I thought there was a definite timeline that meant:
2008-1st
2009-2nd
2010-3rd
2011-4th

But then when people started moving the series around in the generations based on content instead of start date, I realized that this simplistic categorizing theory was not being used. *sigh*
Back to top Go down
http://littlemsgreeneyes.tumblr.com/
Zander
Survivor
Zander

Current Win Points : 640

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 2:02 am

This Gen stuff is ridiculous... I have trouble reading the blogs as is. Why even this?
Back to top Go down
Reach
Untainted
Reach

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 6:55 pm

Okay, I didn't really get this gen stuff until some stuff happened surrounding the latest events on my blog and it all slotted into place.

1st Gen - JAF. 'Nuff said.

2nd - THE BIG THREE, DiD, Seeking Truth, The Tutorial,

3rd - Core Theory, of course, but not just that. The 3rd Gen consists of both the build-up of idealism and optimism and it's fall. I disagree that LUKL kicked off the 4th Gen with the Keepers and the Isabel thing, I think that was a late example of the build-up of idealism and optimism and the events surrounding Jeff's death, the failure of the cure, Cheska's fleeing etc. represent its fall. It also represents the build-up of interconnectedness (i.e Core Theory) and it's breaking up into smaller, more intimate "cliques" (like WYAITD/The London Librarian/PIFTO). In this way, the general attempts by older bloggers to move back towards a more horrific feeling in the Mythos are not anything to do with the 4th Gen, it's the second act of the 3rd Gen.

4th - This is the period where the "blogging" became more important than the "Slender". 4th Gen blogs are basically just teenage blogs starring Slender Man instead of blogs that are actually written as entries in the Slender Man Mythos. They represent a level of interconnectedness beyond even Core Theory, plus a move towards almost cartoonish antics. Magic and spiritual stuff is extremely common and the writers of these blogs do not tolerate criticism towards themselves or each other and will jump to each other's defense at the insinuation they are less than perfect. This idea is further in expanded in this series of quotes from a discussion I had with some friends;

"I actually think of the generations differently. I think of LUKL as being firmly in the 3rd Gen and the 4th Gen being all these whiney and ridiculously overconnected people. Even Core Theory wasn't as entangled as all this."

"Gen 4 is basically one big fucking pretween tantrum."

"People are getting...I don't know, they're tearing strips off each other all the time."

"Honestly, it's getting to the point where the fan dumb is behaving like a bunch of fucking children fighting over a toy."
Back to top Go down
Omega
Blackout
Omega

Current Win Points : 481

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 7:19 pm

Don't have much choice but to completely agree completely with Reach.

However, I feel that there is some light at the end of the tunnel. While we do have all the ridiculous Generic Spunky Teen blogs all over the place, we've also got some potentially good projects. The Expanded Mythos blogs are generally well written, and there are other individual blogs which have potential.

A big trend now seems to be including more supernatural features within the blog. In many of them, it's done very poorly "(Anonymous Here" and Wicca.... *Shivers*), and can create Mary Sues. However, it's not always a failing. The Expanded Mythos is adding many new supernatural creatures into their stories apart from Slender Man, yet they're still doing horror much better than most people out there. I haven't read much of AmalgamationSage's blog, but from what I've heard it isn't that bad, in spite of him including ghosts, the Jersey Devil, and other such things.

I'll admit, some of this may be me trying to defend magic in the Mythos because the project I'm working on relies so heavily on Crowley based occultism. We've tried to avoid the negative aspects of such a step by making sure that the magick we include is both very well researched, conforms with the internal rules of the Mythos, and going way, way out of our way to ensure that the use of magick isn't a fix all device that turns us all into sues. Admittedly, not every story with magic does that. But I like to think that it's possible for a story which includes supernatural beyond Slendy to work.

While the 4th Generation is the time of, as you so neatly put it, "one big fucking pretween tantrum", I'm hoping that the positive trends I'm seeing continue, and that the generation also becomes known for a time when people started experimenting with new ideas and additions to the Mythos. Sure, not all those ideas are going to fit, but the experimentation means that the Mythos may change for the better as a result.
Back to top Go down
http://slenderia.blogspot.com/
Reach
Untainted
Reach

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Actually, I would be inclined to say that those who bring in other supernatural creatures and creepypasta would be a 5th Gen, not 4th, as they are stylistically dissimilar. It's one thing for a player to say their character has magic powers to fight Slender Man while Slender Man is the only monster, it's quite another to bring in other monsters.
Back to top Go down
Omega
Blackout
Omega

Current Win Points : 481

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Reach wrote:
Actually, I would be inclined to say that those who bring in other supernatural creatures and creepypasta would be a 5th Gen, not 4th, as they are stylistically dissimilar. It's one thing for a player to say their character has magic powers to fight Slender Man while Slender Man is the only monster, it's quite another to bring in other monsters.

I'd feel a bit uneasy about calling blogs 5th gen, as I don't feel that 4th gen has had enough time fully explore itself yet.

Though you can interpret that statement as me saying "Wait! Give it a little more time! Sure, most of it's bad now, but something good is bound to come eventually!"
Back to top Go down
http://slenderia.blogspot.com/
Reach
Untainted
Reach

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 8:10 pm

I don't think the Gens replace each other, I think they run alongside each other concurrently, so I think a 5th Gen can be born shortly after a 4th Gen without stifling the 4th Gen any. After all, under my theory, the 3rd Gen is still very much in swing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Blogs: 4th Generation   The Blogs: 4th Generation Empty

Back to top Go down

The Blogs: 4th Generation
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next