Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Sound in the chatbox

Go down 
+2
Alder
Shayde
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Shayde
Watched

Current Win Points : 133

Sound in the chatbox Empty
PostSubject: Sound in the chatbox   Sound in the chatbox EmptyWed May 11, 2011 7:32 am

If you frequent the chat box at the bottom of the page, you might have noticed that it doesn't give a little *ding* when you post a message. This makes it rather forgetful, and whilst the forum has other, possibly superior means of communication, that chat box is easier to get to, and is possibly rendered unpopular by its forgetfulness, when it could be a hub of SlenderNation goodness.

So rather then me talk to myself there for an infinite amount of time (and possibly due to boredom), I've decided to try and get the chat box to go *ding* when there's stuff. I already put what I found out in the chat box, but I thought I'd post my results here...

Forumotion chat boxes don't support sound as of today...unless you edit the template extensively with Python. Sadly, I don't have those magical Python coding skills, and I found no kind of guide or template to help me in this rumored editing process. If I had some guide, I could do a patchy job of it.

The only other option I could find was to have a third party chat box, most of them being unreliable. The only one that is decent I could find was Xat, but that was quite messy in presentation and design.

So whilst my search didn't bear (much) fruit, I hope this helps in some way. Or maybe I should just get Skype....
Back to top Go down
Alder
Observer
Alder

Current Win Points : 99

PostSubject: Re: Sound in the chatbox   Sound in the chatbox EmptyWed May 11, 2011 7:33 am

Get Skype, dude. You're relying on people on the internet to change their ways. People on the internet.
Back to top Go down
http://onlysaneman.tumblr.com/
Shayde
Watched

Current Win Points : 133

PostSubject: Re: Sound in the chatbox   Sound in the chatbox EmptyWed May 11, 2011 7:40 am

Well, it turns out I had Skype, just forgot I did. I went to install it, and low and behold, it was already on there. Guess I'll use that then.

Though I still will keep trying on the sound. I just wanna hear that little chat box go ding Razz
Back to top Go down
PARADOX intent
Watched
PARADOX intent

Current Win Points : 56

PostSubject: Re: Sound in the chatbox   Sound in the chatbox EmptyWed May 11, 2011 3:06 pm

That would be so cute. <3
Back to top Go down
http://myloverskitten.deviantart.com
Zander
Survivor
Zander

Current Win Points : 640

PostSubject: Re: Sound in the chatbox   Sound in the chatbox EmptyWed May 11, 2011 3:31 pm

Yeah, about that. I'm sure I mentioned it before but we can't get the Chatbox to have sound. Unlike other things on this site, we cannot edit the actual Chatbox that Forumotion itself made. They don't have any options for it other than to have it on and make Mods for the Chatbox. This is why I always rage about it and disconnect even while talking to people. I'll forget it's up. If I could fix it, I'd of done it the moment I became Tech Mod, but unfortunately we have to wait till Forumotion updates it.

Till then, Skype, and Tinychat do wonders. For anyone wanting to be in the SlenderNation Skype chat, add me: zander-tekashi
Back to top Go down
SliceandDice
Anxious
SliceandDice

Current Win Points : 18

PostSubject: Re: Sound in the chatbox   Sound in the chatbox EmptyWed May 11, 2011 4:43 pm

HEY GUYS

THERES THIS THING CALLED CHATANGO

IT MAKES A CHATBOX FOR YOUR WEBPAGE

IT GOES PLOC

ALSO

Zander
Survivor
Zander

PostSubject: Re: Sound in the chatbox   Sound in the chatbox EmptyWed May 11, 2011 9:17 pm

SliceandDice wrote:
HEY GUYS

THERES THIS THING CALLED CHATANGO

IT MAKES A CHATBOX FOR YOUR WEBPAGE

IT GOES PLOC

ALSO

SLICE. I'M HAPPY FOR YOU, AND I'MMA LET YOU FINISH

BUT I CAN'T SET WIDGETS LIKE THAT BELOW THE FOURM, SO THEY'D HAVE TO BE ON THE SIDE WHICH WOULD STRETCH THE PAGE OR I'LL HAVE TO MAKE A NEW FORUM PAGE JUST FOR THE CHATBOX. AND THE ADMINS HAVE TO MAKE ACCOUNTS ON CHATANGO TO MOD IT. AND PEOPLE CAN CHANGE THEIR NAMES IN THE CHATBOX WHICH COULD LEAD TO BAD THINGS. SO YEAH.

Otherwise, it'd be decent.
Back to top Go down
SliceandDice
Anxious
SliceandDice

Current Win Points : 18

PostSubject: Re: Sound in the chatbox   Sound in the chatbox EmptyWed May 11, 2011 11:05 pm

The new tab thing isnt too bad, but it does stretch the page.

accounts on Chatango aren't to hard.

and as long as people make accounts, or arent dicks it makes a pretty decent box.

Just a suggestion!
Back to top Go down
Zander
Survivor
Zander

PostSubject: Re: Sound in the chatbox   Sound in the chatbox EmptyWed May 11, 2011 11:20 pm

SliceandDice wrote:
The new tab thing isnt too bad, but it does stretch the page.

accounts on Chatango aren't to hard.

and as long as people make accounts, or arent dicks it makes a pretty decent box.

Just a suggestion!
I took it into to consideration, but really. Think about it. WHO WOULDN'T BE A DICK ON AN SN CHAT IF THEY COULD CHANGE THEIR NAME FREQUENTLY?

Yeah the accounts aren't hard to get, but the Staff might not be able to get the names they want so it'd be a little confusing. With our chatbox, we can at least keep track of the usernames and know who everybody is. It's just the sound that's the problem and that's Forumotion's problem. Not our fault. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Blue Eyes
Stalked
Blue Eyes

Current Win Points : 58

PostSubject: Re: Sound in the chatbox   Sound in the chatbox EmptyTue May 17, 2011 10:01 am

*pokes Forumotion* Sound please?

It would be nice to have the Chatbox be more compatible to this site, but yeah, as Zander said, Forumotion has to be the one to update everything.
And people would totally be dicks and use different names if we used the other provider. Another thing, what happened to the Jeebles timer?
Back to top Go down
Zander
Survivor
Zander

PostSubject: Re: Sound in the chatbox   Sound in the chatbox EmptyTue May 17, 2011 11:24 am

I'll post a question about it on the Forumotion FAQ site, but that's all I can do. Also, I removed the timer if it was just going to have to be constantly reset by the same person. It was supposed to be removed after a certain time had passed on the counter anyway, and would appear back if someone fed Jeebles.
Back to top Go down
Blue Eyes
Stalked
Blue Eyes

Current Win Points : 58

PostSubject: Re: Sound in the chatbox   Sound in the chatbox EmptyTue May 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Oh okay. I was scrolling and I was like "Wait, where's Jeebles' timer?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sound in the chatbox   Sound in the chatbox Empty

Back to top Go down

Sound in the chatbox
Page 1 of 1