Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff



 
HomepageHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Share | 
 

 I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
AlwaysWatches
Anxious


Posts : 58
Current Win Points : 20
Join date : 2013-04-12
Age : 20
Location : United States

PostSubject: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:41 am

I've been watching a lot of Slenderman videos lately, and I have finally
come to a decision that I want to make a series about him. I have a
good camera and I have great editing skills. I have the people or actors
for the job. I know that Marble Hornets and EverymanHYBRID and
TribeTwelve have made a successful series on it. I'm not copying them in
anyway I have my own original game plan. I just need some tips on how I
should go about this. I'm sure its not too late for another series. So
anyone please help me out on how I should do this. Tell me what you would like to see in the series to give me some idea. Please respond quick!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thisistheend
Observer


Posts : 106
Current Win Points : 50
Join date : 2013-03-19
Age : 18
Location : Places... just places...

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:45 am

First of all, welcome to the site. You should post an intro topic here:
http://slendernation.forumotion.com/f9-sn-community

And if you want tips, I would read this topic:
http://slendernation.forumotion.com/t3399-a-guide-to-making-a-found-footage-series
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sethlapod555
Survivor


Posts : 1844
Current Win Points : 708
Join date : 2011-09-09
Age : 20
Location : Florida

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:07 am

thisistheend wrote:
First of all, welcome to the site. You should post an intro topic here:
http://slendernation.forumotion.com/f9-sn-community

And if you want tips, I would read this topic:
http://slendernation.forumotion.com/t3399-a-guide-to-making-a-found-footage-series

Definitely take this advice. This guys knows his stuff.

My advice to you is to plan ahead a LOT. Like, a LOT a lot. Write out the story for the series, get some props ready ahead of time, and prepare for upcoming events. That will ALWAYS work in your favor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/drstevzious117
thexlastxdalek
Watched


Posts : 247
Current Win Points : 91
Join date : 2013-04-07
Age : 19
Location : Behind You.

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:59 pm

Agree with sethlapod its always good to think ahead when making a series to make sure not to get stuck on some point
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/aaronklompp
AlwaysWatches
Anxious


Posts : 58
Current Win Points : 20
Join date : 2013-04-12
Age : 20
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:40 pm

sethlapod555 wrote:
thisistheend wrote:
First of all, welcome to the site. You should post an intro topic here:
http://slendernation.forumotion.com/f9-sn-community

And if you want tips, I would read this topic:
http://slendernation.forumotion.com/t3399-a-guide-to-making-a-found-footage-series

Definitely take this advice. This guys knows his stuff.

My advice to you is to plan ahead a LOT. Like, a LOT a lot. Write out the story for the series, get some props ready ahead of time, and prepare for upcoming events. That will ALWAYS work in your favor.
What exactly should I do to make viewers wanting more or entice them?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlwaysWatches
Anxious


Posts : 58
Current Win Points : 20
Join date : 2013-04-12
Age : 20
Location : United States

PostSubject: Introduction to series   Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:50 pm

For the past few days I've been planning out a few entries or updates or whatever you want to call them for my Slenderman series and I'm not sure how to start the introduction video. Or do I even need an introduction? Here is my series in a nutshell:

A character by the name of Parker had a friend that went missing and he tries to find out what happened. a tape is delivered to his door unexpectedly and there a video on it that shows his friend walking by himself and encounters the slenderman. Parker then goes to the area where is friend was and a few things happen to Parker himself.

This is just summarized so that my work can't be stolen from me there is a lot more info that isn't included. Please let me know how I should start off the "Introduction" or first video.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
awkwardraptor
Escaped


Posts : 816
Current Win Points : 478
Join date : 2013-02-01
Age : 24
Location : In a Museum

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:51 pm

AlwaysWatches wrote:
What exactly should I do to make viewers wanting more or entice them?

You could entice them by posting codes and cryptic messages in a few of the videos, or have something like a proxy post some of their own, be it on their own channel or yours, and having the viewers try and solve them. However too many crypic message and codes could leave the viewers completely confused as to what is going on, and thus, uninterested.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlwaysWatches
Anxious


Posts : 58
Current Win Points : 20
Join date : 2013-04-12
Age : 20
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:54 pm

awkwardraptor wrote:
AlwaysWatches wrote:
What exactly should I do to make viewers wanting more or entice them?

You could entice them by posting codes and cryptic messages in a few of the videos, or have something like a proxy post some of their own, be it on their own channel or yours, and having the viewers try and solve them. However too many crypic message and codes could leave the viewers completely confused as to what is going on, and thus, uninterested.
I do plan to have proxies for sure and a couple cryptic messages and codes, but I really have no idea on how I would do the codes and messages. Could you give me some advice on that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
awkwardraptor
Escaped


Posts : 816
Current Win Points : 478
Join date : 2013-02-01
Age : 24
Location : In a Museum

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:06 pm

You could always start the series out by saying hello at the start, giving a brief introduction as to who you are, and then getting to the point, as in reaching out to people who live near you (As in where you live story-wise, not in real life, although that was probably obvious anyway.) who are watching your series, if they have seen you friend around in the past couple of days/weeks/however long he has been missing, and if they have, they could call you (again in-game not inreal life, again that's probably obvious anyway.) and let you know where they saw him.

And from there (in another video of course), post the tape as possible evidence of his whereabouts.

Of course an introduction isn't mandatory, but it would tie everything together nicely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
awkwardraptor
Escaped


Posts : 816
Current Win Points : 478
Join date : 2013-02-01
Age : 24
Location : In a Museum

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:21 pm

AlwaysWatches wrote:
awkwardraptor wrote:
AlwaysWatches wrote:
What exactly should I do to make viewers wanting more or entice them?

You could entice them by posting codes and cryptic messages in a few of the videos, or have something like a proxy post some of their own, be it on their own channel or yours, and having the viewers try and solve them. However too many crypic message and codes could leave the viewers completely confused as to what is going on, and thus, uninterested.
I do plan to have proxies for sure and a couple cryptic messages and codes, but I really have no idea on how I would do the codes and messages. Could you give me some advice on that?

Yeah sure, no problem.

One that I am a fan of using is a number to letter code, where you pretty much write out a sentence, but instead of using letters, you would use the equivilent number as a letter such as: A = 1, B = 2, and so on and so forth until you get to the letter Z which would be 26 because there are 26 letters in the alphabet, therefore any number higher than 26 would not make any real sense, also if there are numbers in the code you would use a letter instead such as: 1 = A, 2= B, of course there are more numbers than letters and 0 does not have an equivilent number so in that case you would use a combination of letters and question marks (or whichever punctutation mark you want) such as: 27 = BG 50 = E? 100 = J? 263 = ZC and so on and so forth.

Hope that was helpful. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlwaysWatches
Anxious


Posts : 58
Current Win Points : 20
Join date : 2013-04-12
Age : 20
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:31 pm

awkwardraptor wrote:
You could always start the series out by saying hello at the start, giving a brief introduction as to who you are, and then getting to the point, as in reaching out to people who live near you (As in where you live story-wise, not in real life, although that was probably obvious anyway.) who are watching your series, if they have seen you friend around in the past couple of days/weeks/however long he has been missing, and if they have, they could call you (again in-game not inreal life, again that's probably obvious anyway.) and let you know where they saw him.

And from there (in another video of course), post the tape as possible evidence of his whereabouts.

Of course an introduction isn't mandatory, but it would tie everything together nicely.
This helped out so much thank you!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlwaysWatches
Anxious


Posts : 58
Current Win Points : 20
Join date : 2013-04-12
Age : 20
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:33 pm

awkwardraptor wrote:
AlwaysWatches wrote:
awkwardraptor wrote:
AlwaysWatches wrote:
What exactly should I do to make viewers wanting more or entice them?

You could entice them by posting codes and cryptic messages in a few of the videos, or have something like a proxy post some of their own, be it on their own channel or yours, and having the viewers try and solve them. However too many crypic message and codes could leave the viewers completely confused as to what is going on, and thus, uninterested.
I do plan to have proxies for sure and a couple cryptic messages and codes, but I really have no idea on how I would do the codes and messages. Could you give me some advice on that?

Yeah sure, no problem.

One that I am a fan of using is a number to letter code, where you pretty much write out a sentence, but instead of using letters, you would use the equivilent number as a letter such as: A = 1, B = 2, and so on and so forth until you get to the letter Z which would be 26 because there are 26 letters in the alphabet, therefore any number higher than 26 would not make any real sense, also if there are numbers in the code you would use a letter instead such as: 1 = A, 2= B, of course there are more numbers than letters and 0 does not have an equivilent number so in that case you would use a combination of letters and question marks (or whichever punctutation mark you want) such as: 27 = BG 50 = E? 100 = J? 263 = ZC and so on and so forth.

Hope that was helpful. Very Happy
You have been the biggest help!! Thank you!! and thank you to everyone else who posted on this forum. You all helped me out a great deal!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
awkwardraptor
Escaped


Posts : 816
Current Win Points : 478
Join date : 2013-02-01
Age : 24
Location : In a Museum

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:58 pm

No Problem.

And if you've got anything else in your series that you need help with (with the exception of video distortion, because I'm admittedly not very good at that.), just ask, and I (ans many others here.) can try and help.

Very Happy


Last edited by awkwardraptor on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
awkwardraptor
Escaped


Posts : 816
Current Win Points : 478
Join date : 2013-02-01
Age : 24
Location : In a Museum

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:05 pm

No problem, and as an added bonus, once the viewers get a hang of the codes, they would get to be quite good at decoding, therefore making the main characters or the proxy have to make up harder to crack codes, keeping the viewers interested.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Etreo
Runner


Posts : 958
Current Win Points : 260
Join date : 2012-10-27
Age : 19
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:59 pm

In my opinion, introductions are a no. I don't want to know a backstory or your middle name, I want to see some Slendy. If its some kind of character-based piece of art you're going for then make a song and dance out of it, but if you want to do something scary, something that'll actually make people have nightmares, plunge straight in.

I have never found this fandom a scary one. Ever. I am probably in a minority, but that's just my opinion. Slenderverse fan works do not scare me, and haven't since I first watched TroyHasACamera. With the exception of OneHundredYardStare that is. That series seriously made my skin crawl. It was as if all of the horror tension I missed from other trailheads was suddenly condensed into one horrifying series. And that was partly because there was no introduction, you weren't given a chance to get comfortable. You were thrown head first, handcuffed and tied to a rock straight into the deep end, learning more about the depravity and desperation of the characters as their highly aggressive Slenderman ripped the raw emotions out of them. I'm gutted they're on a season break ATM, I love the series so much.

Anyway, that's why I wouldn't use an intro. I tend to use that trailhead as a bar to judge others by because its one of only 3 I've ever enjoyed, the other two being MH and BrokenBranches117. And praising my SlenderBud's series all the one is kind of kiss-assy.

MOD EDIT: FUUUUUUUUUSION!
If you want a hand with your series, it's not a problem. One thread per series though please.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlwaysWatches
Anxious


Posts : 58
Current Win Points : 20
Join date : 2013-04-12
Age : 20
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:22 pm

awkwardraptor wrote:
No problem, and as an added bonus, once the viewers get a hang of the codes, they would get to be quite good at decoding, therefore making the main characters or the proxy have to make up harder to crack codes, keeping the viewers interested.
How would viewers be able to crack the code or crypt?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
awkwardraptor
Escaped


Posts : 816
Current Win Points : 478
Join date : 2013-02-01
Age : 24
Location : In a Museum

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:43 pm

AlwaysWatches wrote:
awkwardraptor wrote:
No problem, and as an added bonus, once the viewers get a hang of the codes, they would get to be quite good at decoding, therefore making the main characters or the proxy have to make up harder to crack codes, keeping the viewers interested.
How would viewers be able to crack the code or crypt?
If they figure out the trick to decoding the Number to letter codes:A = 1, Z = 26/26 = Z, 1=A, then cracking them would be easy, here's an example for instance:

8-5 9-19 15-22-5-18 J-?-? 25-5-1-18-19 15-12-4 1-14-4 8-5 9-19 23-1-20-3-8-9-14-7 25-15-21 6-18-15-13 20-8-5 23-9-14-4-15-23

would be decoded as:

He is over 1000 years old, and he is watching you from the window.

Letters = numbers, numbers = letters, also the dashes and spaces make it easier to read.

Hope that helped.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SalvatoreHaran
Watched


Posts : 225
Current Win Points : 72
Join date : 2012-10-31
Age : 20
Location : Bluffton, SC

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:25 pm

I must disagree with Etreo. Personally, its all about the story, not about seeing slendy or getting scared. If thats all the slenderverse was I wouldn't be here. But I am here for the awesome stories and watching characters develop. That is probably why I LOVE Tribe Twelve, you are really attached to Noah.

Personally? Develop the fuck outta your characters, I'm not saying all at the beginning, but develop em. Give us a back story. Do NOT have Slender Man in video 1 or even 5. Make your character make his channel for his own reasons, and develop him and the co-cast that way. THEN slloooowly, or quickly. Introduce Slender Man. I didn't have him til video 15, but then again I run a FearVlog.

Focus on telling a good story much more then "Where could I put Slender Man to have maximum creep" cause if you do that, I will stop watching.

One last thing: Make it dark, make it gritty, make it interesting, but please, tell a joke.

Hope I helped Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://salvatoreharan.tumblr.com/
AlwaysWatches
Anxious


Posts : 58
Current Win Points : 20
Join date : 2013-04-12
Age : 20
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:58 am

SalvatoreHaran wrote:
I must disagree with Etreo. Personally, its all about the story, not about seeing slendy or getting scared. If thats all the slenderverse was I wouldn't be here. But I am here for the awesome stories and watching characters develop. That is probably why I LOVE Tribe Twelve, you are really attached to Noah.

Personally? Develop the fuck outta your characters, I'm not saying all at the beginning, but develop em. Give us a back story. Do NOT have Slender Man in video 1 or even 5. Make your character make his channel for his own reasons, and develop him and the co-cast that way. THEN slloooowly, or quickly. Introduce Slender Man. I didn't have him til video 15, but then again I run a FearVlog.

Focus on telling a good story much more then "Where could I put Slender Man to have maximum creep" cause if you do that, I will stop watching.

One last thing: Make it dark, make it gritty, make it interesting, but please, tell a joke.

Hope I helped Smile
Well this just stinks. The way I have my story set up is in video 1 the main character talks to someone who saw his missing friend a week ago. later that night the main character gets a knock at the door but no one is there. on the ground is a tape. on the tape is his missing friend walking but then hears something and turns around and slenderman is behind him but far away. His friend starts running and turns around again to see if slendy is still there and he's closer this time and his friend trips and the video cuts off or ends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlwaysWatches
Anxious


Posts : 58
Current Win Points : 20
Join date : 2013-04-12
Age : 20
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:14 am

Etreo wrote:
In my opinion, introductions are a no. I don't want to know a backstory or your middle name, I want to see some Slendy. If its some kind of character-based piece of art you're going for then make a song and dance out of it, but if you want to do something scary, something that'll actually make people have nightmares, plunge straight in.

I have never found this fandom a scary one. Ever. I am probably in a minority, but that's just my opinion. Slenderverse fan works do not scare me, and haven't since I first watched TroyHasACamera. With the exception of OneHundredYardStare that is. That series seriously made my skin crawl. It was as if all of the horror tension I missed from other trailheads was suddenly condensed into one horrifying series. And that was partly because there was no introduction, you weren't given a chance to get comfortable. You were thrown head first, handcuffed and tied to a rock straight into the deep end, learning more about the depravity and desperation of the characters as their highly aggressive Slenderman ripped the raw emotions out of them. I'm gutted they're on a season break ATM, I love the series so much.

Anyway, that's why I wouldn't use an intro. I tend to use that trailhead as a bar to judge others by because its one of only 3 I've ever enjoyed, the other two being MH and BrokenBranches117. And praising my SlenderBud's series all the one is kind of kiss-assy.

MOD EDIT: FUUUUUUUUUSION!
If you want a hand with your series, it's not a problem. One thread per series though please.
I've seen all of OneHundredYardStare's videos and yeah, they threw us right in, but it's not scary at all. It was a good idea to start balls deep, but it wasn't enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlwaysWatches
Anxious


Posts : 58
Current Win Points : 20
Join date : 2013-04-12
Age : 20
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:09 pm

At a stomp. At video four and only have one idea :/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SalvatoreHaran
Watched


Posts : 225
Current Win Points : 72
Join date : 2012-10-31
Age : 20
Location : Bluffton, SC

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:41 pm

AlwaysWatches wrote:
SalvatoreHaran wrote:
I must disagree with Etreo. Personally, its all about the story, not about seeing slendy or getting scared. If thats all the slenderverse was I wouldn't be here. But I am here for the awesome stories and watching characters develop. That is probably why I LOVE Tribe Twelve, you are really attached to Noah.

Personally? Develop the fuck outta your characters, I'm not saying all at the beginning, but develop em. Give us a back story. Do NOT have Slender Man in video 1 or even 5. Make your character make his channel for his own reasons, and develop him and the co-cast that way. THEN slloooowly, or quickly. Introduce Slender Man. I didn't have him til video 15, but then again I run a FearVlog.

Focus on telling a good story much more then "Where could I put Slender Man to have maximum creep" cause if you do that, I will stop watching.

One last thing: Make it dark, make it gritty, make it interesting, but please, tell a joke.

Hope I helped Smile
Well this just stinks. The way I have my story set up is in video 1 the main character talks to someone who saw his missing friend a week ago. later that night the main character gets a knock at the door but no one is there. on the ground is a tape. on the tape is his missing friend walking but then hears something and turns around and slenderman is behind him but far away. His friend starts running and turns around again to see if slendy is still there and he's closer this time and his friend trips and the video cuts off or ends.

Oh, no that's fine! Start it off with mystery to hook people in Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://salvatoreharan.tumblr.com/
AlwaysWatches
Anxious


Posts : 58
Current Win Points : 20
Join date : 2013-04-12
Age : 20
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:51 pm

SalvatoreHaran wrote:
AlwaysWatches wrote:
SalvatoreHaran wrote:
I must disagree with Etreo. Personally, its all about the story, not about seeing slendy or getting scared. If thats all the slenderverse was I wouldn't be here. But I am here for the awesome stories and watching characters develop. That is probably why I LOVE Tribe Twelve, you are really attached to Noah.

Personally? Develop the fuck outta your characters, I'm not saying all at the beginning, but develop em. Give us a back story. Do NOT have Slender Man in video 1 or even 5. Make your character make his channel for his own reasons, and develop him and the co-cast that way. THEN slloooowly, or quickly. Introduce Slender Man. I didn't have him til video 15, but then again I run a FearVlog.

Focus on telling a good story much more then "Where could I put Slender Man to have maximum creep" cause if you do that, I will stop watching.

One last thing: Make it dark, make it gritty, make it interesting, but please, tell a joke.

Hope I helped Smile
Well this just stinks. The way I have my story set up is in video 1 the main character talks to someone who saw his missing friend a week ago. later that night the main character gets a knock at the door but no one is there. on the ground is a tape. on the tape is his missing friend walking but then hears something and turns around and slenderman is behind him but far away. His friend starts running and turns around again to see if slendy is still there and he's closer this time and his friend trips and the video cuts off or ends.

Oh, no that's fine! Start it off with mystery to hook people in Smile
You think its good? I'm completely stumped on video 4. This really sucks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SalvatoreHaran
Watched


Posts : 225
Current Win Points : 72
Join date : 2012-10-31
Age : 20
Location : Bluffton, SC

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Do you have any videos out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://salvatoreharan.tumblr.com/
AlwaysWatches
Anxious


Posts : 58
Current Win Points : 20
Join date : 2013-04-12
Age : 20
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:24 pm

SalvatoreHaran wrote:
Do you have any videos out?
Not yet. I'm currently trying to plan out a few videos before I start to upload. I was thinking in my intro video that when I introduce who I am and whats going on (in the intro I'm talking about how my friend has been missing for few weeks and if anyone i know has seen him pleasee call me or let me know) the video is somewhat messing up, as to hint slenderman is near but does not show in the video. Good idea?

EDIT:
Video 3 is somewhat done. I have ideas written down for it. The main character finds another clue about his friend. That's the plot anyway for video 3.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.   Today at 12:35 am

Back to top Go down
 
I'm going to be making a Slenderman series. Need tips.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Slender Man Series :: Out-of-Game Trailheads-
Jump to: