Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff



 
HomepageHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Share | 
 

 The Future of Slenderseries'

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
knifeman
Anxious


Posts : 98
Current Win Points : 71
Join date : 2014-02-17
Age : 17
Location : Baltimore, Maryland

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Slenderseries'   Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:41 pm

Slendercles wrote:
This is definitely the case, I myself find that I'm always comparing new series to the big three. If it's a copy, it's not as good, and if it strays too far, well then "Thats not what slendy would do...." so it's basically a lose-lose scenario. Perhaps when the mythos completely lies inactive for a few years, then a new series can come along that's close enough to the originals where it won't be frowned upon (because they'll be long over and people will miss them) but they can be new enough to adapt to the current horror genre of the future. I guess patience is key here...





Or idk maybe you could stop comparing them that way? Expect and accept new things. No good creator won't add some of their own touch to the game, he might even redesign it. If you think that it isn't "what slenderman would do," the problem lies with you, not the series.  An open mind will make a series more enjoyable.  So fucking what if slenderman isn't depicted as a God or demon? What if it is depicted as a physical monster? Does that detract from the creepy?  Maybe a little, but it makes him more of a physical threat now. 

Idk, I feel like the problems are centered on unoriginality, bad acting (and plot development for that matter), and the stubbornness of the viewers to watch anything other than MH, EMH, TT, MLA, DarkHarvest, and sometimes CNS. Ugh, people sometimes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gekoladie
Untainted


Posts : 25
Current Win Points : -3
Join date : 2014-03-17
Age : 21
Location : France

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Slenderseries'   Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:26 am

knifeman wrote:
Slendercles wrote:
This is definitely the case, I myself find that I'm always comparing new series to the big three. If it's a copy, it's not as good, and if it strays too far, well then "Thats not what slendy would do...." so it's basically a lose-lose scenario. Perhaps when the mythos completely lies inactive for a few years, then a new series can come along that's close enough to the originals where it won't be frowned upon (because they'll be long over and people will miss them) but they can be new enough to adapt to the current horror genre of the future. I guess patience is key here...





Or idk maybe you could stop comparing them that way? Expect and accept new things. No good creator won't add some of their own touch to the game, he might even redesign it. If you think that it isn't "what slenderman would do," the problem lies with you, not the series.  An open mind will make a series more enjoyable.  So fucking what if slenderman isn't depicted as a God or demon? What if it is depicted as a physical monster? Does that detract from the creepy?  Maybe a little, but it makes him more of a physical threat now. 

Idk, I feel like the problems are centered on unoriginality, bad acting (and plot development for that matter), and the stubbornness of the viewers to watch anything other than MH, EMH, TT, MLA, DarkHarvest, and sometimes CNS. Ugh, people sometimes.

It's pretty much guaranteed that comparisons to the big three will be made - much like how whenever a new Disney movie comes out it will always be compared to Snow White, etc. The comparisons will be made inevitably, even subconsciously sometimes. That said, comparisons aren't always a bad thing. The big three are considered thus for a reason - they are regarded as the best. Comparisons can help the creators improve their own works. 

The slight differences in the portrayals of Slenderman himself are, in my opinion, one of the best things about having so many different series. No one series has exactly the same definition of who or what the Slenderman is - is he a demon? A god? A humanoid abomination from beyond the reaches of time and space? A creepy metaphor for the omnipresence of government monitoring? There are limitless possibilities, and that's part of what kept the mythos afloat. With that amount of potential, it's pretty hard to be unoriginal. Sure, there's an established template, but we've seen multiple times that it does work, and it certainly works as a good way to establish your series before branching out - TribeTwelve was a lot like Marble Hornets in its early days, whereas the two are very different at present. 

Actually making a vlog is hard, and we have to allow a little bit of leeway for dodgy acting, bad camera work and poor production values. These all generally stem from the fact that the creators are amateurs - from film students to anyone who has a camera, a bunch of friends and a computer. Especially at the start of the series when the creators are just finding their footing. 

Overall, I think it's better that these new series' exist than that they don't, and we should give them the benefit of the doubt. Sure, no one is going to please everyone, but if the potential is there they deserve a chance. Comparisons will be made, mud will be slung, but how the series battles through its early days to become more established will show its strength and the creators' dedication.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slendercles
Anxious


Posts : 89
Current Win Points : 14
Join date : 2012-02-09

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Slenderseries'   Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:53 pm

knifeman wrote:
Slendercles wrote:
This is definitely the case, I myself find that I'm always comparing new series to the big three. If it's a copy, it's not as good, and if it strays too far, well then "Thats not what slendy would do...." so it's basically a lose-lose scenario. Perhaps when the mythos completely lies inactive for a few years, then a new series can come along that's close enough to the originals where it won't be frowned upon (because they'll be long over and people will miss them) but they can be new enough to adapt to the current horror genre of the future. I guess patience is key here...





Or idk maybe you could stop comparing them that way? Expect and accept new things. No good creator won't add some of their own touch to the game, he might even redesign it. If you think that it isn't "what slenderman would do," the problem lies with you, not the series.  An open mind will make a series more enjoyable.  So fucking what if slenderman isn't depicted as a God or demon? What if it is depicted as a physical monster? Does that detract from the creepy?  Maybe a little, but it makes him more of a physical threat now. 

Idk, I feel like the problems are centered on unoriginality, bad acting (and plot development for that matter), and the stubbornness of the viewers to watch anything other than MH, EMH, TT, MLA, DarkHarvest, and sometimes CNS. Ugh, people sometimes.

Not sure why you chose to be hostile and rude, but okay.  scratch 

I can't help but compare the mythos of the slenderman to the few series' that defined him. You're telling me to simply accept any and all creative licence a creator of a vlog takes, yet that's a ridiculous statement that is far fetched and won't happen. If you saw a game where Sonic the Hedgehog walked slowly instead of ran fast, you wouldn't like it. If you saw a James Bond movie where he's a total bitch and cried throughout, you wouldn't like that either. There's certain boundaries to the mythos (from a vlog standpoint) and these are established by... you guessed it! The original three. So it's not that I want more vlogs to be like them, I simply have to compare them. Otherwise we will start seeing vlogs where slendy is actually the easter bunny and surprise! he delivers you some candy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gekoladie
Untainted


Posts : 25
Current Win Points : -3
Join date : 2014-03-17
Age : 21
Location : France

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Slenderseries'   Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Slendercles wrote:
Otherwise we will start seeing vlogs where slendy is actually the easter bunny and surprise! he delivers you some candy.



"...when my foot caught on a tree root and I fell to the ground, desperately gasping for air. My heart raced, beating out a rhythm my feet had failed to trace. Not fast enough, not far enough, and now- I could barely imagine what was going to happen. Would it be like what happened to Casey? Would I just vanish, whisked away into the night and never seen or heard from again? Or would it be more like Rachel. I nearly vomited at the thought, memories of her shattered body flooding through my mind, limbs hung from trees like Christmas decorations. 

There was nothing I could do. The skin on the back of my neck crawled but I refused to look. My hands balled into fists in the leaflitter, dirt clogging painfully under my nails, but nothing could distract me from the presence I felt behind me, dark and malevolent and vast. I bowed my head, waiting for the final blow. 

Tentacles reached forward, stretching like ribbons of darkness as they slithered into my field of vision. A whimper escaped my lips. It would be like Rachel, then. Encompassed in those limbs and torn apart like a rag doll. I wished it would just hurry up and -

A single, painted egg was deposited in front of me. Bright yellow and pink stripes of paint wove together in an intimate pattern, weaving around tiny red hearts and green leaves. It was really cute, yet so intricate that it could never have been made by human hands, almost like it had been devised by some creature who had no true understanding of the meaning of egg painting at all. A strange ambivalence rose within me; was this adorable, or was this terrifyingly unnatural? 

I reached out and took the egg. It was cold and heavy in my palm. As I traced my thumb over the delicate lines, a dark voice echoed through my head. h4ppy 3ast3r . . . "
Back to top Go down
View user profile
knifeman
Anxious


Posts : 98
Current Win Points : 71
Join date : 2014-02-17
Age : 17
Location : Baltimore, Maryland

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Slenderseries'   Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:55 pm

Slendercles wrote:
Not sure why you chose to be hostile and rude, but okay.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 

I can't help but compare the mythos of the slenderman to the few series' that defined him. You're telling me to simply accept any and all creative licence a creator of a vlog takes, yet that's a ridiculous statement that is far fetched and won't happen. If you saw a game where Sonic the Hedgehog walked slowly instead of ran fast, you wouldn't like it. If you saw a James Bond movie where he's a total bitch and cried throughout, you wouldn't like that either. There's certain boundaries to the mythos (from a vlog standpoint) and these are established by... you guessed it! The original three. So it's not that I want more vlogs to be like them, I simply have to compare them. Otherwise we will start seeing vlogs where slendy is actually the easter bunny and surprise! he delivers you some candy.







Sorry for being a bit flustered, but this is not what I meant.  I never said "accept all differences and love every vlog," I said "defining mythos to the big three is stubborn, and you should be more open minded."  


Yes, not every original creation is good, but most add to the vlog, and can change the mood of it.  Only accepting lore of the big three is a ridiculous notion, because 


A. They contradict each other


and B. this leaves little room for addition and improvement.  


Last edited by knifeman on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slendercles
Anxious


Posts : 89
Current Win Points : 14
Join date : 2012-02-09

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Slenderseries'   Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:50 pm

gekoladie wrote:
Slendercles wrote:
Otherwise we will start seeing vlogs where slendy is actually the easter bunny and surprise! he delivers you some candy.



"...when my foot caught on a tree root and I fell to the ground, desperately gasping for air. My heart raced, beating out a rhythm my feet had failed to trace. Not fast enough, not far enough, and now- I could barely imagine what was going to happen. Would it be like what happened to Casey? Would I just vanish, whisked away into the night and never seen or heard from again? Or would it be more like Rachel. I nearly vomited at the thought, memories of her shattered body flooding through my mind, limbs hung from trees like Christmas decorations. 

There was nothing I could do. The skin on the back of my neck crawled but I refused to look. My hands balled into fists in the leaflitter, dirt clogging painfully under my nails, but nothing could distract me from the presence I felt behind me, dark and malevolent and vast. I bowed my head, waiting for the final blow. 

Tentacles reached forward, stretching like ribbons of darkness as they slithered into my field of vision. A whimper escaped my lips. It would be like Rachel, then. Encompassed in those limbs and torn apart like a rag doll. I wished it would just hurry up and -

A single, painted egg was deposited in front of me. Bright yellow and pink stripes of paint wove together in an intimate pattern, weaving around tiny red hearts and green leaves. It was really cute, yet so intricate that it could never have been made by human hands, almost like it had been devised by some creature who had no true understanding of the meaning of egg painting at all. A strange ambivalence rose within me; was this adorable, or was this terrifyingly unnatural? 

I reached out and took the egg. It was cold and heavy in my palm. As I traced my thumb over the delicate lines, a dark voice echoed through my head. h4ppy 3ast3r . . . "
So how does it feel to have written the best thing on SN?  lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gekoladie
Untainted


Posts : 25
Current Win Points : -3
Join date : 2014-03-17
Age : 21
Location : France

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Slenderseries'   Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:00 pm

Slendercles wrote:
gekoladie wrote:
Slendercles wrote:
Otherwise we will start seeing vlogs where slendy is actually the easter bunny and surprise! he delivers you some candy.



"...when my foot caught on a tree root and I fell to the ground, desperately gasping for air. My heart raced, beating out a rhythm my feet had failed to trace. Not fast enough, not far enough, and now- I could barely imagine what was going to happen. Would it be like what happened to Casey? Would I just vanish, whisked away into the night and never seen or heard from again? Or would it be more like Rachel. I nearly vomited at the thought, memories of her shattered body flooding through my mind, limbs hung from trees like Christmas decorations. 

There was nothing I could do. The skin on the back of my neck crawled but I refused to look. My hands balled into fists in the leaflitter, dirt clogging painfully under my nails, but nothing could distract me from the presence I felt behind me, dark and malevolent and vast. I bowed my head, waiting for the final blow. 

Tentacles reached forward, stretching like ribbons of darkness as they slithered into my field of vision. A whimper escaped my lips. It would be like Rachel, then. Encompassed in those limbs and torn apart like a rag doll. I wished it would just hurry up and -

A single, painted egg was deposited in front of me. Bright yellow and pink stripes of paint wove together in an intimate pattern, weaving around tiny red hearts and green leaves. It was really cute, yet so intricate that it could never have been made by human hands, almost like it had been devised by some creature who had no true understanding of the meaning of egg painting at all. A strange ambivalence rose within me; was this adorable, or was this terrifyingly unnatural? 

I reached out and took the egg. It was cold and heavy in my palm. As I traced my thumb over the delicate lines, a dark voice echoed through my head. h4ppy 3ast3r . . . "
So how does it feel to have written the best thing on SN?  lol!


Like y'all should check out my blog for more of my top-notch writing. Lol no.

Ahaha, thanks hon! I had waaay too much fun writing that  cyclops  but it's mostly because I laughed for about ten minutes at the idea of Slenderman handing out candy xD what next, the Rake is Santa?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The Future of Slenderseries'   Today at 4:20 am

Back to top Go down
 
The Future of Slenderseries'
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Slender Man Series :: Video Series Trailheads-
Jump to: