Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Meta-Madness!

Go down 
+2
bilo
LuciaInFurs
6 posters
AuthorMessage
LuciaInFurs
Anxious
LuciaInFurs

Current Win Points : 53

Meta-Madness! Empty
PostSubject: Meta-Madness!   Meta-Madness! EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 1:11 pm

When I was first watching Marble Hornets, one of the things it reminded me most of in narrative style was a book by Mark Danielewski called House of Leaves which you should all check OUT... But if you can't be bothered to read through over 700 pages just to get what I'm talking about here, maybe just wiki it.

Anyway. House of Leaves was released on the internet chapter by chapter, most of which written by our protagonist Johnny Truant, who has found an academic study written by a dead man of a film that doesn't exsist whcih it itself about (*breathe*) a documentary called House of Leaves. Truant gradually pieces together the nonsensical pages of this study and all the while feels the eeriness of the House of Leaves start to creep into his own life. Not only does this mirror Jay's search for Alex and the gradual materialisation of the Slenderman into his own life, but the academic essay also includes extremely lengthy footnotes, some of which appear to be addressing Truant himself. This reminded me of the totheark videos somewhat.

Well that was far too much information to lead up to one titchy sentence of pure speculation, but -
I was wondering if Jessica's comment in entry 28 about her having seen Jay before was perhaps in reference to his youtube channel. After all, youtube must exist in this story's universe since Jay is using it as a tool in the narrative. (although arguably in the world of Marble Hornets the channel may still be nowhere near as popular)

I really would love this route to be explored. Something a little similar to this happens in House of Leaves, but I wont want to go into that too much since I'm hoping that a few of you reading this post will be inspired to get hold of a copy. But I have to wonder what Jessica's reaction to this would be. Would she think Slenderman was real or fictitious? If she's being haunted by him, is that meant to imply that us, the youtube viewers are at risk? Is Slenderman, as it has been suggested before, a contagious meme, and if so, is the internet a lethal tool for him?

Um. Discuss, I suppose. (long winded first post, yay!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.luciainfurs.wordpress.com
bilo
Taken
bilo

Current Win Points : 311

Meta-Madness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meta-Madness!   Meta-Madness! EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 1:28 pm

I always found it funny how people immediately connected Marble Hornets with House of Leaves. When neither Jay's nor Alex's actor read it until (I think) the end of season one.

I think the idea of Jessica being stalked by watching the series on youtube like all of us would be an awesome aspect. But at the same time, I really don't want to speculate too much and would rather just sit tight and wait till all is revealed. Or at least... some is revealed.
Back to top Go down
http://animal-nitrate.deviantart.com/
taylortexas
Untainted
taylortexas

Current Win Points : 10

Meta-Madness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meta-Madness!   Meta-Madness! EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 3:10 pm

First, a win point to Lucia for being a fan of House of Leaves. It is one of my favorite books, if not THE favorite. It really is a work of genius, the amount of work that went into it is very admirable.

My first thought was also that she had viewed Marble Hornets on Youtube. That would be an interesting twist, I never really thought about how people might handle the entries within Jay's universe. Are they disregarded as silly internet videos, or accepted as legitimate? Another twist they could throw in, is that she has seen Jay in tothearks' videos. How they would pull that off, I'm not entirely sure. I just can't wait to see where this new season takes us.
Back to top Go down
Erantiel
Untainted
Erantiel

Current Win Points : 7

Meta-Madness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meta-Madness!   Meta-Madness! EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 6:06 pm

I really should work on finishing reading House of Leaves. I liked it and I don't know why I didn't finish it. I got about a third of the way through and it had to go back to the library or something. It really freaked me out, what I did read, and I couldn't read it in my room alone. I have a long list of books I need to read before getting to finishing that one, unfortunately.

I think that would be a really interesting way to go about that though, with Jessica.
Back to top Go down
The Doctor
Admin
The Doctor

Current Win Points : 293

Meta-Madness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meta-Madness!   Meta-Madness! EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 6:20 pm

First off:

HOUSE OF LEAVES BLEW ASS!!

*ahem* Now, that my personal feelings are out of the way:

Well, there are a multitude of theories that could be attributed as to how Jessica knows Jay.

I have a theory that may sound far fetched, but it could be possible:

The way I see it, Jessica could be someone Alex or Jay knew. With all the occurrences of Slenderman in Season One attributing to memory loss, it is possible that Jessica was a part of the original group and either was taken and left somewhere with no memories and they're starting to return due to the sudden appearance of Jay, or she's working with Masky to make Jay's life miserable. The latter could somewhat explain the noises Jay heard. Those could be Jessica going Masky in the room.

Once again, my thoughts. There are a LOT of different things that could be happening, but we will only know when the next couple of entries come out.
Back to top Go down
https://slendernation.forumotion.com
taylortexas
Untainted
taylortexas

Meta-Madness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meta-Madness!   Meta-Madness! EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 7:21 pm

The Doctor wrote:

I challenge you to a duel of fists and katanas.
Back to top Go down
WhiteWolf
Observer
WhiteWolf

Current Win Points : 61

Meta-Madness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meta-Madness!   Meta-Madness! EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 7:39 pm

House of Leaves, huh? I'll have to pick up a copy of that myself and see what all the fuss is about.
Back to top Go down

Meta-Madness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meta-Madness!   Meta-Madness! EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 8:15 pm

I have a copy of House of Leaves sitting in my sister's room. She's going to let me borrow it. Maybe I'll like it, maybe the Doctor and I will have something to dislike together.
Back to top Go down

Meta-Madness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meta-Madness!   Meta-Madness! EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 9:31 pm

The Doctor wrote:
First off:

Doctor-I shun your literary analysis capabilities. House of Leaves, while a bit confusing for some and took me two times through to understand it completely, was a wonderful book full of mindfuckery.

And as for the idea that Jessica knows Jay through his youtube-I like it. I like that theory a lot.
Back to top Go down
bilo
Taken
bilo

Current Win Points : 311

Meta-Madness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meta-Madness!   Meta-Madness! EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 11:39 pm

I've only read bits and pieces of House of Leaves and the extremely mixed reviews I've been hearing make me wonder if I should spend the money to buy it. D:
Back to top Go down
http://animal-nitrate.deviantart.com/
WhiteWolf
Observer
WhiteWolf

Current Win Points : 61

Meta-Madness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meta-Madness!   Meta-Madness! EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 12:37 am

As for my case, I'll probably just check it out from the library, since opinions are so mixed.
Back to top Go down
taylortexas
Untainted
taylortexas

Meta-Madness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meta-Madness!   Meta-Madness! EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 4:26 pm

I'd say go the library route, as I could see this book being kind of pricey. It's definitely worth the cash, in my opinion, but I wouldn't put any down without reading it. It's definitely a book you have to sit down and dedicate yourself to. Some parts will really draaaaaaaaaaaag, while others will have you glued to your seat and constantly checking over your shoulder. It's unlike any other book I've ever encountered, and I really find it admirable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Meta-Madness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meta-Madness!   Meta-Madness! Empty

Back to top Go down

Meta-Madness!
Page 1 of 1