Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions

Go down 
+9
BlueMarble
The compiler
JustinDGBZ
aGamingFish
Thatretrodude
Lumine
PostIt
awkwardraptor
T-M-S
13 posters
AuthorMessage
T-M-S
Observer
T-M-S

Current Win Points : 63

Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions Empty
PostSubject: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptyFri May 17, 2013 4:39 am

So I was thinking last night about how there are lots of bizarrely common elements to Slenderverse material, and wondering how they came about. I come armed with an example myself:

Proxies.

They stemmed from Masky and Hoody in MH (also kinda TTA). Basically they were imitated very early on in the series before it became known who they were, and at the current point of course it seems those two are not working with the Operator at all. But, so early on their motives were unclear and most people assumed they were minions of the Operator. People created their own Proxies and as their series gained viewers, the idea was passed on to their successors in series-production.

So I find it slightly ironic that we have so many Proxies running about serving the Tall One in almost every series now, based on what was originally an incorrect assumption.

Can anyone think of any other examples?
Back to top Go down
awkwardraptor
Escaped
awkwardraptor

Current Win Points : 478

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptyFri May 17, 2013 8:20 am

I've always found the whole "film yourself for every waking hour of everyday including when you sleep and not want anyone to know what I'm doing, but I'm still going to post the footage on the internet for the whole world to see." angle for some of the vlogs really odd to me.

I mean, they say they are only filming themselves and it is for nobody else to see, and whats the first thing that they do?

post it on the internet declaring that they "found some strange things in the footage" and ask the public to watch the footage to see if they also see the "strange things in the footage" even though they just said that the whole point of filming themselves in the first place was that the person filming would be the only person to see the footage.

It just does not make sense to me.

Last edited by awkwardraptor on Fri May 17, 2013 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PostIt
Anxious
PostIt

Current Win Points : 17

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptyFri May 17, 2013 2:33 pm

There are a lot of times where I ask myself "Why are they posting this?". Sometimes it's footage of yourself sleeping. Sometimes it's an argument you had with a friend where the camera happened to be on. OOG it's character building I guess. IG it makes no sense. I think that's a question a lot of filmmakers need to ask. Why am I filming this? Moreover, why am I posting it?
/rant
Hmm, other odd things. Everybody makes a sleeping tape. I guess because they can be really cool, and often there's some slendersymptom that makes itself known, but to be honest I'm not sure I would even know how to film myself for that long period of time without running out of tape/memory/etc. Moreover, did you watch the whole tape for something to happen? And why does it always happen on the only night you taped?
I think there are so many common threads because we build on eachother's canon. So one series does something (particularly the early series) and we go "hey, is that canonical for the whole verse or just you?" or we think it's a cool idea and run with it. So common threads erupt.
Back to top Go down
T-M-S
Observer
T-M-S

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptyFri May 17, 2013 2:35 pm

How the trends develop is understandable, but from an IG perspective it's a bit silly how they all play out with so many similar elements.
Back to top Go down
Lumine
Observer
Lumine

Current Win Points : 39

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptyFri May 17, 2013 4:26 pm

Crossover herpes
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/roballencomber
awkwardraptor
Escaped
awkwardraptor

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptyFri May 17, 2013 4:49 pm

Lumine wrote:
Crossover herpes

I completely agree.

I swear when I first started my vlog, there was always a thought "Oh god, now everybody who has their own slendervlog who live near me (Appearently none do, by the way.) are going to want to do a crossover, fantastic." which of course was of course, hugely sarcastic.

I mean a crossover is fine, when it works with where you are taking the vlog/blog, but there are just so many that have absolutely no business crossing over, especially when it does not add anything to the story.

Last edited by awkwardraptor on Fri May 17, 2013 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Whoops, I fogot to finish my post before I posted it.)
Back to top Go down
T-M-S
Observer
T-M-S

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptyFri May 17, 2013 5:34 pm

awkwardraptor wrote:

I mean a crossover is fine, when it works with where you are taking the vlog/blog, but there are just so many that have absolutely no business crossing over, especially when it does not add anything to the story.

I always thought the EMH/TT crossover was totally unnecessary and not a lot really came of it.

The TT/DH one was quite good though.
Back to top Go down
awkwardraptor
Escaped
awkwardraptor

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptySat May 18, 2013 8:25 am

Another thing that kind of irks me is that a good amount of the protagonists in the vlogs/blogs are completely clueless as to what they are doing half the time, they are like, "Oh hey, a giant faceless entity is stalking me, I'm going to chase after it." or, "Huh, someone is sending me cryptic and possibly threating messages, what am I going to do? Oh I know, I'm going to research them instead of going to the police, it's just a crazy stalker after all, nothing I can't handle myself."

It just baffles me.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Lumine
Observer
Lumine

Current Win Points : 39

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptySat May 18, 2013 1:23 pm

Well, a few of the seasoned creators are breaking these tropes.

Except crossovers. Crossovers are love, Crossovers are life.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/roballencomber
Thatretrodude
Anxious
Thatretrodude

Current Win Points : 18

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 9:10 am

Ear rape. That's all.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/mravgnfan12
aGamingFish
Anxious
aGamingFish

Current Win Points : 4

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 5:47 pm

I've always found it interesting that many videos from many vlogs seem to end with one or more of the characters in a very compromising position, often trapped or cornered, with Slender Man right there. There is the  no explanation as to how they escaped/ survived or what happened afterwards. One example I can think of is the DarkHarvest00 video when Alex and Chris slowly come out of the basement and Slendy and attacks them in slow motion awesomness.

(-sorry about the fonts, I haven't figured out how to use them properly yet)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/GreyPixelFilms?feature=mhee
JustinDGBZ
Watched

Current Win Points : 95

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 9:15 pm

Usually illogical things that aren't carefully thought about before hand are strange to me. Like how or why videos are put up in regards to their content and it's not explained why it's decided for the videos to be put up. Something I think people have to be careful with is deciding on putting the videos up and how the police situation is handled, because in most vlogs at some point the police would logically have to be contacted. I also think more should've been learnt about proxies before being used because they are quite mysterious and even now in Marble Hornets their purposes haven't been discovered yet (if they ever will). And while I often like and enjoy extreme situations being put up, when there are murders do the creators not think that their videos will be flagged by an offended watcher IG?
Back to top Go down
The compiler
Observer
The compiler

Current Win Points : 88

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 2:19 pm

MLanderson tries to explain the posting of the videos with "the virus" in that it is completely conpulsive. this phenominon has also been described by M from the tutorial as "the journals" (as in "the jitters"). 
sooo yeah.

also i agree that the total lack of information they have is kinda silly for example this is a search of faceless man in suit. LOOK AT THE RESULTS!!! WTF?!

I'd like to see a slender series where the main protagonist KNOWS about slenderman and is a fan of the content, they don't have t believe it but they know. THEN they get stalked because they 'dug too deep'.

Thirdly (Comment on ALL the points) the unexplained escape thing is actually quite a big point but can kinda be explained away by slenderman overwhelming the camera. (devil's advocate style arguments here)

crossovers can have massive potential to advance story/ add to it but the EMH/TT one didn't really have a point because neither had anything the other wanted and so they didn't need to meet.

finally we get to the ear rape. i agree totally. you cannot sway me from this position.
Back to top Go down
JustinDGBZ
Watched

Current Win Points : 95

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 10:38 pm

The compiler wrote:
MLanderson tries to explain the posting of the videos with "the virus" in that it is completely conpulsive. this phenominon has also been described by M from the tutorial as "the journals" (as in "the jitters"). 
sooo yeah.

also i agree that the total lack of information they have is kinda silly for example this is a search of faceless man in suit. LOOK AT THE RESULTS!!! WTF?!

I'd like to see a slender series where the main protagonist KNOWS about slenderman and is a fan of the content, they don't have t believe it but they know. THEN they get stalked because they 'dug too deep'.

Thirdly (Comment on ALL the points) the unexplained escape thing is actually quite a big point but can kinda be explained away by slenderman overwhelming the camera. (devil's advocate style arguments here)

crossovers can have massive potential to advance story/ add to it but the EMH/TT one didn't really have a point because neither had anything the other wanted and so they didn't need to meet.

finally we get to the ear rape. i agree totally. you cannot sway me from this position.

I think MLAnderson's "Virus" concept is pretty great, I thought it was interesting and unique.

I think EMH goes with the concept where they all knew about Slenderman, which they used as a prank for their fitness videos and they learned of Slenderman through Marble Hornets, but using Slenderman is what caused the actual Slenderman to show up and start messing with them.

It also looks like EMH and TT will be crossing over again and it will have a lot more importance.
Back to top Go down
BlueMarble
Stalked

Current Win Points : 149

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 6:40 am

Well, the EMH guys got stalked by setting up a fake Slendy as an Easter Egg, right? What really bugs me is the amount of proxies in blogs/sometimes in vlogs. There's just too many of them. One is fine. Two are ok. Three are a bit too much. Any more of them become just annoying. Except in TribeTwelve. Gotta love The Collective.
Back to top Go down
http://josephwritesrandomstuff.blogspot.com/
awkwardraptor
Escaped
awkwardraptor

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 6:31 pm

Another thing I always found weird was the whole, as TVTropes puts it, "Eldritch Location".
It never made alot of sense to me, and most of the time it doesn't even look good (in the vlogs, at least.)

Of course, when it does get done properly, it looks awesome.
Oh well, just something I found kind of strange, nothing more, nothing less.
Back to top Go down
T-M-S
Observer
T-M-S

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 6:29 am

awkwardraptor wrote:
Another thing I always found weird was the whole, as TVTropes puts it, "Eldritch Location".
It never made alot of sense to me, and most of the time it doesn't even look good (in the vlogs, at least.)

Of course, when it does get done properly, it looks awesome.
Oh well, just something I found kind of strange, nothing more, nothing less.
You mean like the abandoned buildings in Marble Hornets, or the Scarlet House in the series of the same name?

I like the idea, and think some vlogs do it well. The two I named in particular. I always thought of it as sites that have some sort of link to Slenderman.
Back to top Go down
The Collared One
Untainted
The Collared One

Current Win Points : 0

PostSubject: Just in case SPOILER ALERT down below   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 12:04 pm

awkwardraptor wrote:
I've always found the whole "film yourself for every waking hour of everyday including when you sleep and not want anyone to know what I'm doing, but I'm still going to post the footage on the internet for the whole world to see." angle for some of the vlogs really odd to me.

I mean, they say they are only filming themselves and it is for nobody else to see, and whats the first thing that they do?

post it on the internet declaring that they "found some strange things in the footage" and ask the public to watch the footage to see if they also see the "strange things in the footage" even though they just said that the whole point of filming themselves in the first place was that the person filming would be the only person to see the footage.

It just does not make sense to me.

*****I mention a few examples and even scenes from Marble Hornets and TribeTwelve. I want to be nice and warn those who haven't seen those yet to not read this post. I don't think it's really anything too revealing but I am fairly new to this and am unsure what people might consider a spoiler.*****

While I am no expert; from what I have watched/read it appears to primarily be due to the fact that Slenderman causes amnesia. I mean how many times has Jay gotten severe amnesia from an encounter? If he didn't have the cams going he wouldn't have been able to find out what happened at all due to him being alone when most of this happens or everyone else also suffering memory loss. Marble Hornets isn't the only one using amnesia either. If i started forgetting what I was doing I'd start video tape myself. Though it would likely be digital and in the form of a security system. And that is without any Slenderman in my life.

Posting it on the internet? As for that from what I have researched Slenderman has a nasty habit of finding and destroying evidence of his existence(when he can). Normally he used fire as a way to just plain burn down a building containing photos, documents of statements made be people who saw/encountered him, and even hospitals(mental or otherwise) holding one of his victims(Tim's old childhood treatment center). That said we all know once you post something on the internet, there it stays. That is why they post a lot of the stuff online. They tend to either lose it or get it stolen. As seen in the case of Jay at the hotel after his 6 month drop off the face of the Earth. He really only barely was able to get into his hotel room safe and collect the tapes due to Masky attacking.

They post it publicly due to them wanting to have their awful experience available to others being hunted so they may collectively(for survivors) work together against Slenderman. Though it only seems to make other people targets when they see Slenderman or read about Him. The spread I think isn't odd so much as over-dramatic. It has a purpose. It seems to be a starting point for both Marble Hornets and TribeTwelve. It makes sense In Game as well. It's because they started believing what they saw on the tapes so they became threats(in both MH and TT Jay/Noah actively start looking for Slenderman in more footage and try to even hunt Him down). As discussed earlier Slenderman has probably been around as long as he has by dispatching evidence and those who seek to undo Him. Heck, to this day I don't believe I've come across one mention of a weakness or even an elaborate ritual to destroy, kill, maim, seal, repel, and/or send Him back(in the case of the theory he isn't from our plane of existence). Well that is outside of the people who got together in hopes that Slenderman is a Tulpa. I read they tried to gather people to Will a weakness into Him. They failed since no one stepped up to be the Sacrificial Hero of their "story". 
Back to top Go down
TheFriendlyVandal
Untainted
TheFriendlyVandal

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 1:26 pm

I can't believe that no one's brought up the mysterious pills yet! I think it's so common because it introduces Slendy trying to get the character to come around to "his way of thinking".
Back to top Go down
The Collared One
Untainted
The Collared One

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 2:08 pm

TheFriendlyVandal wrote:
I can't believe that no one's brought up the mysterious pills yet! I think it's so common because it introduces Slendy trying to get the character to come around to "his way of thinking".

Yes. Those pills are interesting. I had my bf look at the best pause I could get on them from the latest Marble Hornets video and he says it looks like Vicodin, but he isn't sure since we can't clearly read the numbers on it. Which makes the pills even more odd(if they aren't just using whatever they have at hand to put in an old prescription bottle for the series). Tim i believe is supposed to take his medications due to, at least, seizures. I think that headaches are another possible cause of taking some of the pills they do. Since we never had any labels on the bottles it's hard to tell what any of them are. But I can say I recall seeing more than one kind. So perhaps they're not completely mysterious and simply hint at the various effects/symptoms that people suffer from being hunted by Slenderman or in some cases this Sigma Radiation that has been introduced in some series.

Also I suspect that Tim's pills(the ones he carries on him all the times) are Klonopin. Due to his history of seizures and that his life is stressful. It's used to treat seizures(in Epilepsy) and they're used for panic disorders. I used to take them for panic attacks and can say you always keep those with you just in case.

Back to top Go down
AlanAuch
Observer
AlanAuch

Current Win Points : 34

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 1:59 pm

crossovers are a bit of a pain to me for two reasons: firstly because nobody really agrees on what Slender Man wants or how he functions and so you get jarring new elements shoehorned into both series; and secondly because it may start out with Series X and Series Y, but then Y crosses over with A, B and C who cross over with another ten series between them and so on until you have more threads than St. Elsewhere. Even with all his malevolent powers to command, how does Ol' Slim find the time to harrass all these people?

One element that also bugs me in video series is that a lot of producers have tended to combine the "Slender Man corrupts digital footage" and "mysterious antagonist makes experimental movies" elements of Marble Hornets, so that the protagonists' documentary-style footage is weirdly overdosed on strange edits and effects even while it's still on their camera. I can sort of accept that certain malevolences (such as HABIT or the Observer) might be powerful to manipulate the recordings in this fashion, but it tends to take me out of the game somewhat when Slender Man's your only paranormal presence and your video still looks like a structuralist collage
Back to top Go down
wiiluigi1998
Untainted
wiiluigi1998

Current Win Points : 6

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 12:39 pm

I find it strange when somehow, the protagonist just happens to see a mysterious proxy video posted on their channel like two seconds after it was posted.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/dudeman121
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions   Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions Empty

Back to top Go down

Weird Slenderverse Traditions/Conventions
Page 1 of 1