Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Guns and other Weapons.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SadDevil
Observer
SadDevil

Current Win Points : 13

Guns and other Weapons. Empty
PostSubject: Guns and other Weapons.   Guns and other Weapons. EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 6:13 pm

I've been writing in guns into my series and have wondered how it affects a slender-series. It can change the tone dramatically, but can affect the realism as well.

When the main character has a gun(Looking at you, TT) it may become a.. Horror shooter. You lose the aspect of helplessness significantly and usual need to resort to jump scares.

When guns are being used against the main character, (Entry 52) they really add to stress fear, and should be used briefly.

More later
Your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/KriptsTale
The Slenderfreak
Anxious
The Slenderfreak

Current Win Points : 20

PostSubject: Re: Guns and other Weapons.   Guns and other Weapons. EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 6:28 pm

Don't let guns affect Slendy. EVER. There is No way that a gun is going to hurt a paranormal creature that stalks people, teleports, has tentacles, etc. proxies, maybe. but Slendy himself, not no but NO! Against the protagonists, sure, but Slendy's gonna be like "bullets? HA! you cannot defeat ME!!!".
Back to top Go down
Crusergirl
Stalked

Current Win Points : 74

PostSubject: Re: Guns and other Weapons.   Guns and other Weapons. EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 10:13 pm

When it comes to using guns in any independent film/series I go to two streams of thought.

1. Do you have the technical/special effects capabilities to utilize such a thing realistically and safely?

2. Does it make sense for the characters/scenario.

The first one is (to me) a yes or no answer. And if the answer is no, then just don't mess with it. Bad effects or use of a gun can ruin a scene for me. And this means everything from the kickback to the flash to the look on a characters face, etc.

The second is tricky. When it comes to Slender Man Vlogs, I have never seen any reason to include one. The only convincing use of a gun I've seen was in Marble Hornets, Entry 52. But like you pointed out SadDevil, the timing and placement was right.
Tribe Twelve's was well done with its effects. But at this point you gotta take into account what people know OOC. And that is that guns aren't going to effect slendy. I'm sure its been addressed in some of the blogs too. So while it was done very well, I didn't feel like it added anything. Guns introduced into slendy series either bore me or make me laugh. I find a lot more fear from guns when they are used in real life scenarios. In supernatural ones, if you're going for weapon the scariest ones are the knives, hatchets, pickaxes, metal pipes, etc. The things you find around the house. Because even if you own a gun, it might not be readily available when you need it. Knives usually are. They are also guarantee a close contact encounter which adds to the fear factor. Whenever you have to get close to the thing/person trying to kill you that wigs me out.
Back to top Go down
proxiehunter
Anxious

Current Win Points : 26

PostSubject: Re: Guns and other Weapons.   Guns and other Weapons. EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 12:45 am

My opinion on guns in a Slender series is best summed up by the weapons section of the "What every Runner should own" post that was my second post on The Most Dangerous game.

". . . Despite the examples set by Hunter and Jeanette what you don't want
is a gun. Guns are loud. The sound of a gunshot will bring cops down on
you faster than the sound of a knife fight. Also crossing state lines
with a gun, even if you were allowed to legally carry in your
origination state is a bad idea. And don't get me started on the
additional time you'll do if you're caught with a gun while committing
another crime (B&E to steal some food or get a shower for example).
One last reason you don't want a gun: I've never missed with my knife
and killed a child a block away. You can't say the same for a gun."

Also the post I made here in regards to a scene from SAPH.
Back to top Go down
SadDevil
Observer
SadDevil

Current Win Points : 13

PostSubject: Re: Guns and other Weapons.   Guns and other Weapons. EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 1:17 am

My plot has a point where a relatively new character pulls out a rifle and quickly learns it's futility.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/KriptsTale
Vinnoe
Observer
Vinnoe

Current Win Points : -1

PostSubject: Re: Guns and other Weapons.   Guns and other Weapons. EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 6:24 pm

it would be a good idea to make sure that the guns dont do anything to reallly "disturb" the series
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guns and other Weapons.   Guns and other Weapons. Empty

Back to top Go down

Guns and other Weapons.
Page 1 of 1