Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points

Go down 
+6
kingxana0
ExorcistGamer
Malus
ChewieV2
Zander
GunRecon
10 posters
AuthorMessage
GunRecon
Untainted

Current Win Points : -3

Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points Empty
PostSubject: Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points   Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 12:50 am

So a small minority of you may have seen some of my other topics. (We may be causing sime problems/Hunger Games Slenderfic)
I've been a fan of our slender friend for a while, although I am unaquianted with The Rake. (Off to learn about him after posting this)
Unlike most people I've spoken to on this forum, I truly believe in The Tulpa Effect and what it entails concerning slendy. When I posted We May Be Causing Some Problems, most who commented assumed I was posting in-character. I was not. I even list win points shortly after posting, so I would like to ask the good folk who moderate this site to take it down.
Back to top Go down
Zander
Survivor
Zander

Current Win Points : 640

PostSubject: Re: Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points   Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 1:13 am

MOD EDIT: Moved to appropriate sub-forum.

First off, I'd like to go ahead and state that the topic is already locked and archived and that's going to stay as is. We keep track of all threads as such, and only delete topics in case of immediate rule-breaking/problems that we can stop, but we do keep record of topics that have been posted beforehand before removal for future reference.

Second, you may believe whatever you want about that, but I don't recommend this being the place to do so when we're pretty clear in promoting how this sites' views are. Also promoting a discussion of closing of this site due to this theory? I think it'd be a bit frowned upon. Because even so, we only have about 1700 members, half of which are probably inactive, so I doubt we're having any sort of impact as far as that theory goes, let alone the fact that we promote that he isn't real. If it ruins peoples' immersion, then they probably should have turned back around. Besides, 1700 people compared to over 2,000,000 people who have watched the first episode of MarbleHornets?

Also, winpoints don't matter except that they help show you what people think about your post. It's not really too hard to earn them back either, if you care that much about it.
Back to top Go down
ChewieV2
Observer
ChewieV2

Current Win Points : 57

PostSubject: Re: Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points   Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 5:04 am

The problem with the idea of the tulpa effect is this:
The Slenderverse is still a ver minor thing, the proportion of people who know about Slendy is very small.
Within that small number of people, only a small fraction of people believe in Slendy.

Now compare this to the number of people in the world who genuinely believe in dragons or unicorns or hollow earth theory or reptillians.

And yet we're not arse deep in a sea of mythological animals on a hollow planet filled with insidious lizard people who secretly run everything.

If these far more popular ideas have not been tulpad into reality, then Slendy certainly wouldn't.
Back to top Go down
Malus
Taken
Malus

Current Win Points : 125

PostSubject: Re: Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points   Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 6:52 am

ChewieV2 wrote:
And yet we're not arse deep in a sea of mythological animals on a hollow planet filled with insidious lizard people who secretly run everything.

Or are we, and the lizard men are keeping everything a secret from us?!

In all seriousness, I think the tulpa effect works better when it's explained (or at least theorized) that the tulpa existed before belief in it began, and the tulpa only latched on to the belief in order to introduce itself back into the world.

In other words, one could theorize that Slender Man existed in-universe before Victor Surge posted those photos, but his power had diminished. And then when the photos were posted, in-universe people started to believe in him and that gave the creature more power.

Out-of-character, though, Slender Man doesn't exist, so any belief in him isn't going to create an eldritch abomination that stalks people before hauling them off to God knows where.
Back to top Go down
ExorcistGamer
Watched
ExorcistGamer

Current Win Points : 143

PostSubject: Re: Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points   Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 10:20 am

I've been here since June 2011 and I was lurking for a couple of months before that, so I've seen a lot of problems on this forum, GunRecon. So let me explain a bit from my point of view.

The problem is, we have had a lot of topics involving the tulpa theory, it's nowhere near a new discussion. It's been around as long as the mythos, and there's also been a lot of topics involving belief in Slender Man that have quickly spun out of control.

For example there was a user here by the name of Skalleg who got too forceful on insisting Slender Man is real, when the admins and mods politely tried to explain the rules of this site which were set up for a reason, he began to outright antagonize them, swearing, insulting, he went way too far. And there's been other cases.

Because of incidents like that, I can't speak for the admins and mods but I imagine the minute they see new Tulpa theory topics or new topics of people talking about Slender Man being real, I'm pretty sure they're probably face-palming and preparing for the worst case scenario.

That's why the topic was quickly locked, that's why even the normal members too mentioned OOG rules, because after the amount of times we've had problems here, we automatically ready ourselves for a problem.

I never got the chance to post in that topic but here's the thing. Tulpa Theory is fine, if you want to believe in that, feel free. As I said, the theory has gone around the mythos for ages.

And speaking from a writer's perspective, I don't mind seeing it referenced or used in stories, in fact. Malus comment has given me a story related idea (although it only makes sense in the Fear Mythos due to a comparison I can make)

But at the end of the day, that's all it is. A story. It's made up and it all came true anyway. The forum doesn't want to see it keep getting insisted upon.

Finally the winpoints.

Yeah as Zander said, They're not that special or are they hard to get. Hell I haven't even been trying and I'm somehow over 130.

Also you have only lost two. I've seen people lose fifty before, two's not that bad.
Back to top Go down
kingxana0
Observer
kingxana0

Current Win Points : 27

PostSubject: Re: Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points   Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 3:43 pm

Speaking of win points I must sound like a complete noob but how the heck do you get/lose them? I checked the how to get started page and I either missed them or they aren't there. Also woo tupla theory.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points   Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 5:05 pm

kingxana0 wrote:
Speaking of win points I must sound like a complete noob but how the heck do you get/lose them? I checked the how to get started page and I either missed them or they aren't there. Also woo tupla theory.

When viewing a post, look on the right side of the box the post is in. You should see a small symbol that looks like a plus sign over a minus sign. Pressing the plus will bestow a winpoint while the minus will take one away. The small green/red bars on the right sides of posts are the bars that show who has been given a winpoint for their post. Hovering the mouse over this bar will show a percentage (Winpoints #, xx% reception) where reception means what percentage of total winpoints given to that post were positive while the total can tell you how many were negative. For instance a post can have a red and green bar with the hovertext of (4 winpoints, 75% reception)-where three points given were positive and one was negative.
Back to top Go down
kingxana0
Observer
kingxana0

Current Win Points : 27

PostSubject: Re: Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points   Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 5:20 pm

Thank you very much admin Life. Now I know. And knowledge is power!
Back to top Go down
Cougar Draven
Stalked
Cougar Draven

Current Win Points : 87

PostSubject: Re: Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points   Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 5:03 am

So nobody has any commentary about how this kid a.) admits he's not running a series and b.) also claims to believe the Tulpa theory?

Fine. I will. Therapist. See one. Promptly.
Back to top Go down
http://cougardraven.tumblr.com/
GunRecon
Untainted

Current Win Points : -3

PostSubject: Re: Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points   Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 9:33 am

Cougar Draven wrote:
So nobody has any commentary about how this kid a.) admits he's not running a series and b.) also claims to believe the Tulpa theory?

Fine. I will. Therapist. See one. Promptly.

No, thanks. I'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
nINTH##sIXTh##
Untainted
nINTH##sIXTh##

Current Win Points : 2

PostSubject: Re: Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points   Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Knowing is half the battle!!
Back to top Go down
deaddoll00
Untainted
deaddoll00

Current Win Points : 1

PostSubject: Re: Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points   Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 4:08 pm

I love any kind of supernatural stuff and I've always found the Tulpa theory fascinating. It would be interesting to think of Slenderman as a Tulpa of sorts...perhaps like if a fan became SO obsessed with the mythos that their obsessions began to manifest as Slenderman, and then whenever that person's image of him was threatened in some way (say another person's denial of him or different intepretation) he would manifest to kill them, because to not do so would weaken him or cause him to lose form or something.

In that way, you could actually have a plague of Slendermen! Each just slightly unique to each person that became obsessed with him. And then you could have a huge Slender-battle between them all to see which Slender came up on top...or...something...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/deaddoll00?feature=mhee
BananaBrains
Taken
BananaBrains

Current Win Points : 270

PostSubject: Re: Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points   Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 4:13 pm

Wow this thread has gone off-topic enough, and yet somehow it just won't die-- Oh wait, I can actually do something about that.

MOD EDIT: Locked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points   Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points Empty

Back to top Go down

Of Rakes, Tulpas, and Win Points
Page 1 of 1