Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

I have a question.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
taylortexas
Untainted
taylortexas

Current Win Points : 10

I have a question. Empty
PostSubject: I have a question.   I have a question. EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 5:18 pm

While I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to find the answer here, I figure it isn't a bad place to start.

The video distortions. You've seen 'em, you know 'em, you love 'em. How does one actually go about intentionally placing those in their videos? Is there specific or preferred software for doing it? I am very... curious, to say the last. Massive amounts of win points to the soul that can help me.
Back to top Go down
Satyrcynic
Watched

Current Win Points : 187

I have a question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have a question.   I have a question. EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 5:36 pm

Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8. $100 in stores, $0 on Bittorrent.
Back to top Go down
taylortexas
Untainted
taylortexas

I have a question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have a question.   I have a question. EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 5:54 pm

Heh, I like the way you think.

Any advice? Or perhaps tutorials you could throw my way.
Back to top Go down
Satyrcynic
Watched

I have a question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have a question.   I have a question. EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 6:18 pm

I definitely do advise that program as the best way to make the effects. Marble hornets used it, I used it for Jonclubs, and there's every reason to believe that everymanHYBRID and Tribe Twelve are using it from the looks of their effects. That program offers more useful options for video distortion than anything else I can think of.

Once you have a copy, my advice is to not use presets. They look too identifiable and people will balk that you are using presets. Layer multiple effects and don't be afraid to experiment. Most importantly learn how to animate effects on the timeline so you can change their variables in certain frames. (Vegas comes with helpful walkthroughs for this and it quickly becomes much easier than it sounds). You'll want to avoid leaving any effect on the same setting for too long, prefering to drastically revamp them in spastic, twitchy patterns. this kind of interferrence just screams horror and Slender Man, and can be used to great effect to subtly make people jump without resorting to the likes of screamers.

Once you open your video in Vegas, you'll want to immediately play around with some of the following functions;

Add Noise
Threshold
Television Effects
Sony Film Effects

Add noise is your basic static which you will be wanting to use liberally. Threshold is for those really bat shit insane moments (jonclubs shed scene). Television effects is useful not for making things look like a VHS (which could be cool too) but for the line sync option, which when swung rapidly up and down can make some of the coolest looking realistic distortion you'll ever see. Film effects is good for one thing and that's jitter. Turn on some jitter and you basically have instant Marble Hornets. The verticle sync in TV effects works similarly, so experiment to see which one is best and when.

You might also want to sparingly throw in some Invert, Gaussian Blur and MAYBE Fisheye, although I'd be careful with that last one.

Avoid all of the packaged Newblue effects, and most of all avoid embossing or outlining. Those effects scream "made in a cheap video program, not actual distortion".

Also, not to repeat myself, but layer, layer, layer. Layering effects in different orders and amounts can yield surprising results. For instance, Distortion > Threshold creates a very different look from Threshold > Distortion. Experiment and have fun. you'll love the results.

Also: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5904145/Sony_Vegas_Movie_Studio_HD_Platinum_v10.0_Build_179
The above link may or may not lead to completely illegal activities if used improperly, or as intended. Satyrcynic assumes no responsibility for illegal actions committed in relation to the above link or legal retribution resulting from aforementioned actions. Click at your own risk. Satyrcynic does not advocate the act of Internet piracy wherein said act could be traced to Satyrcynic. ePenis size not guaranteed. Product not as huge as xBox.

Last edited by Satyrcynic on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
taylortexas
Untainted
taylortexas

I have a question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have a question.   I have a question. EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 6:27 pm

Thank you so much! I believe I've gotten all the info I need, and it didn't take any time at all. I truly do appreciate it, and I'll be giving you win points until the end of my days. You are a god amongst men.

<3
Back to top Go down
Vivi
Blackout
Vivi

Current Win Points : 488

I have a question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have a question.   I have a question. EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 6:45 pm

Spectacular guide, Satyr. I was most interested and enlightened even in a purely curious spectator's perspective. This thread better never get deleted or archived at the very least.
Back to top Go down
http://masquevivi.deviantart.com/
Satyrcynic
Watched

I have a question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have a question.   I have a question. EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 6:47 pm

Thanks guys! Any more questions taylor, just ask.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I have a question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have a question.   I have a question. Empty

Back to top Go down

I have a question.
Page 1 of 1