Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?

Go down 
+7
AlkerStay
JosiahMiller
Hooligan Spirit
Packfong
Malus
DarkShadows
sethlapod555
11 posters
AuthorMessage
sethlapod555
Survivor
sethlapod555

Current Win Points : 708

Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? Empty
PostSubject: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 9:03 pm

I've just thought about this recently. It seems that a lot of Slender Man vlogs lately are just all about fear, depression, loneliness, and despair. Why can't there be some sort of happiness and contentness in these characters, something that shows that they believe that everything will be alright, even though it might not be?

For instance, the Angel's Game.

At this point, these kids have been through hell, yet they still laugh and joke and smile and have fun. This sort of thing makes me happy watching these people try and push through, while still being happy.

What are your thoughts on this subject?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/drstevzious117
DarkShadows
Blackout
DarkShadows

Current Win Points : 32

PostSubject: Re: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 10:05 pm

Honestly? It's a horror Mythos. Depressing, dark, and bleak is part and parcel of that.

Now granted, you can have some happy moments, sure. You can have moments that make you laugh. But at the end of the day the Mythos is a horror universe and stories set in it are more than likely gonna end with a depressing note, if not an uncertain note.

I don't mind it because I watch the series to watch these protagonists struggle and try to fight back or delve deeper, even if they know they'll inevitably lose. I think it speaks a lot about human curiosity, and how it can push us to want to know more... sometimes to our own detriment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wordflow.webs.com
Malus
Taken
Malus

Current Win Points : 125

PostSubject: Re: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 10:58 pm

Well, I don't want to spoil anything for those that haven't watched it yet, but Tribe Twelve's more recent videos gave me some hope for Noah.
Back to top Go down
sethlapod555
Survivor
sethlapod555

PostSubject: Re: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:31 am

DarkShadows wrote:
Honestly? It's a horror Mythos. Depressing, dark, and bleak is part and parcel of that.

Now granted, you can have some happy moments, sure. You can have moments that make you laugh. But at the end of the day the Mythos is a horror universe and stories set in it are more than likely gonna end with a depressing note, if not an uncertain note.

I don't mind it because I watch the series to watch these protagonists struggle and try to fight back or delve deeper, even if they know they'll inevitably lose. I think it speaks a lot about human curiosity, and how it can push us to want to know more... sometimes to our own detriment.

I agree with you totally. That's basically what I meant by "happiness", the determination to keep pushing through.
Back to top Go down
Packfong
Observer
Packfong

Current Win Points : 8

PostSubject: Re: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 5:52 pm

My view on unhappy stories:

Tragedy is good, outright depressing is bad. Depression is a lack of sadness, of feeling, of motivation; it's crushing. Tragedy is poignant and follows the happy ending on the opposite spectrum.
Back to top Go down
Hooligan Spirit
Anxious
Hooligan Spirit

Current Win Points : 11

PostSubject: Re: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 6:13 pm

I wouldn't mind happier episodes (for lack of a better term) if they had more of a point to them. Many of the upbeat videos I've watched were just 6+ minutes of characters fooling around, with maybe a few seconds at the end having anything to do with the plot.

Some might defend those videos by saying it's "character development," but there's no reason you can't develop characters and move the plot forward at the same time.
Back to top Go down
sethlapod555
Survivor
sethlapod555

PostSubject: Re: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Hooligan Spirit wrote:
Some might defend those videos by saying it's "character development," but there's no reason you can't develop characters and move the plot forward at the same time.

THIS.

The only time that it's acceptable to have 6+ minutes of just nonsense is it's one of the starting videos of a vlog. For me, at least.
Back to top Go down
DarkShadows
Blackout
DarkShadows

Current Win Points : 32

PostSubject: Re: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 10:53 pm

But Hooooooliiiigaaaaan~ writing compelling narrative and character development all at once is haaaaarrrrrrd~... :c

But seriously, yes. If you're gonna have filler vid I would at least appreciate it not ALL being filler vid. At least put some plot stuff sprinkled throughout. It doesn't have to be big, but at least have it there so we know the protagonists aren't just ignoring the happenings like they aren't there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wordflow.webs.com
Packfong
Observer
Packfong

Current Win Points : 8

PostSubject: Re: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 1:02 am

Hooligan Spirit wrote:
I wouldn't mind happier episodes (for lack of a better term) if they had more of a point to them. Many of the upbeat videos I've watched were just 6+ minutes of characters fooling around, with maybe a few seconds at the end having anything to do with the plot.

Totes this. Running for your life is a great time to grow as a person, I feel. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JosiahMiller
Observer
JosiahMiller

Current Win Points : 28

PostSubject: Re: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 12:24 am

Yeah, I believe there should always be some hope...even if it's a fool's hope (to quote Gandalf).
Characters are just more likeable to know they are gonna die and do their best IMO.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/TrialofLeaves?feature=watch
sethlapod555
Survivor
sethlapod555

PostSubject: Re: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 12:39 am

JosiahMiller wrote:
Yeah, I believe there should always be some hope...even if it's a fool's hope (to quote Gandalf).
Characters are just more likeable to know they are gonna die and do their best IMO.

Very nice reference.
Back to top Go down
AlkerStay
Observer
AlkerStay

Current Win Points : 30

PostSubject: Re: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 5:05 am

sethlapod555 wrote:
I've just thought about this recently. It seems that a lot of Slender Man vlogs lately are just all about fear, depression, loneliness, and despair. Why can't there be some sort of happiness and contentness in these characters, something that shows that they believe that everything will be alright, even though it might not be?

At this point, these kids have been through hell, yet they still laugh and joke and smile and have fun. This sort of thing makes me happy watching these people try and push through, while still being happy.

well there was that one time in EVERYMANHYBRID A DAY with green feathers that was happy but apart from that and sorry i accidentally turned on CAPS LOCK
Back to top Go down
sethlapod555
Survivor
sethlapod555

PostSubject: Re: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 9:37 am

AlkerStay wrote:
sethlapod555 wrote:

well there was that one time in EVERYMANHYBRID A DAY with green feathers that was happy but apart from that and sorry i accidentally turned on CAPS LOCK

Yeah, EverymanHYBRID has a lot of those sorts of entries. (Well, used to.) And it's okay! You can edit your post and take the caps lock off if you want. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lumine
Observer
Lumine

Current Win Points : 39

PostSubject: Re: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:33 pm

Two cents: If any video work leaves you with no feeling or questionless(unless in awe), then it hasn't done its job.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/roballencomber
JosiahMiller
Observer
JosiahMiller

Current Win Points : 28

PostSubject: Re: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 12:11 am

sethlapod555 wrote:
JosiahMiller wrote:

Very nice reference.

Why, thank you
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/TrialofLeaves?feature=watch
SalvatoreHaran
Watched
SalvatoreHaran

Current Win Points : 73

PostSubject: Re: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:13 am

It all depends on the characters and how they react to things.
Some people scream and cry
Some hold the camera and hope
Some pull out a glock and pop a cap in Slenderman's ass...
Then again, Noah is amazing
Back to top Go down
http://salvatoreharan.tumblr.com/
goomba771
Watched
goomba771

Current Win Points : 88

PostSubject: Re: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:35 am

Cokeysion wrote:
Some pull out a glock and pop a cap in Slenderman's ass...

Oh god, if Black Yoshi from Supermariologan were being stalked by Slenderman.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/goomba771
iAmTheMiniCoop
Untainted
iAmTheMiniCoop

Current Win Points : 1

PostSubject: Re: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 11:15 pm

For anyone who has seen OctarineNight, Kyle and his friends usually seem happy. In fact, the only really sad moment was the "1/2" video.
Back to top Go down
http://ultimateslendermanblog.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?   Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are Slendervlogs nowadays depressing?
Page 1 of 1