Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

How can Slenderman see or hear ?

Go down 
+9
aGamingFish
Caedeus
Packfong
sethlapod555
GeorgePenn
DarkShadows
TheFallenenvoy
Etreo
TacoLupe
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TacoLupe
Untainted
TacoLupe

Current Win Points : 0

How can Slenderman see or hear ?  Empty
PostSubject: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 8:29 pm

Sense slenderman does not have eyes or ears how can he see or know where you are to terminate you ? Question
Back to top Go down
Etreo
Runner
Etreo

Current Win Points : 261

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 8:32 pm

With the magic of friendship.
Back to top Go down
TheFallenenvoy
Watched
TheFallenenvoy

Current Win Points : 98

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 9:37 pm

I think you missed the memo regarding his eldritch status
Back to top Go down
DarkShadows
Blackout
DarkShadows

Current Win Points : 32

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 10:38 pm

Maybe he does have eyes and ears, but they're not on his face. Or they're invisible to us because we can't mentally comprehend them.

Blind creatures and creatures with poor vision in general sometimes "see" and "hear" through vibrations of nearby creatures or echolocation, or occasionally heat signatures. It's possible the Slenderman could also do this, sensing prey through vibration of their footsteps, voices, etc., or he could use a form of ultrasonic echolocation. Either way he'd probably sense the vibrations/echoes through his tendrils somehow, which could act as feelers of some sort. He'd then be able to shape a mental image of the world around him that way. It's even possible that when he does teleport to a new location, the first thing he does is send out ultrasonic pings to figure out where in the Hell he is and where his prey is. This type of noise could possibly be disturbing to the human body, which could account for the Sickness. At least that's one theory, and that's assuming he doesn't have any sort of true vision.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wordflow.webs.com
GeorgePenn
Taken
GeorgePenn

Current Win Points : 52

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 12:26 am

He is beyond our comprehension, blah blah blah.
Back to top Go down
sethlapod555
Survivor
sethlapod555

Current Win Points : 708

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 12:49 am

DarkShadows wrote:
Maybe he does have eyes and ears, but they're not on his face. Or they're invisible to us because we can't mentally comprehend them.

Blind creatures and creatures with poor vision in general sometimes "see" and "hear" through vibrations of nearby creatures or echolocation, or occasionally heat signatures. It's possible the Slenderman could also do this, sensing prey through vibration of their footsteps, voices, etc., or he could use a form of ultrasonic echolocation. Either way he'd probably sense the vibrations/echoes through his tendrils somehow, which could act as feelers of some sort. He'd then be able to shape a mental image of the world around him that way. It's even possible that when he does teleport to a new location, the first thing he does is send out ultrasonic pings to figure out where in the Hell he is and where his prey is. This type of noise could possibly be disturbing to the human body, which could account for the Sickness. At least that's one theory, and that's assuming he doesn't have any sort of true vision.

I love this theory. This is a theory I also had.

Maybe that's what also causes some distortion in footage? And maybe even Slendersickness?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/drstevzious117
DarkShadows
Blackout
DarkShadows

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:14 am

That's actually just what I was thinking, Sethlapod. Very Happy It could also be why animals don't seem to like him much - they might be able to pick up on the ultrasonic frequencies (some of them) and it may hurt their ears, or it may actually physically make them ill.
Back to top Go down
sethlapod555
Survivor
sethlapod555

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:27 am

DarkShadows wrote:
That's actually just what I was thinking, Sethlapod. Very Happy It could also be why animals don't seem to like him much - they might be able to pick up on the ultrasonic frequencies (some of them) and it may hurt their ears, or it may actually physically make them ill.

I do remember Alex's dog Rocky in Marble Hornets freaked out at Slendy's presence, so that can be a worthy explanation.

The only thing that might set that theory astray is that in Osiris Chronicles, Tristan's dogs don't seem to mind very much.
Back to top Go down
Packfong
Observer
Packfong

Current Win Points : 8

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 6:34 am

Tristan's dogs are evil.
Back to top Go down
Caedeus
Anxious
Caedeus

Current Win Points : 1

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:57 am

Those theories are exactly what I was assuming as well.

- Ultrasonic frequency waves by which animals that you'd assume to have a sensitivity to it, will. It allows for 360 degrees of visual and would allow him to detect inanimate objects as well as living plant-life and such.

- I scratch the Infared, and replaced it with something of like: Synesthesia.

The concept of Synesthesia is really not entirely defined, as not many people have it nor have experienced it and acknowledge that that may possibly be what their visual interpretation is.

I scratched Infared because of the fact that it's a natural organism based ability regarding the eye's electromagnetic spectrum which allows it to view things like heat.

However, I do believe that the concept of Ultraviolet Ultrasensory capabilities as well, or a combination of these concepts. The Ultraviolet one comes to mind a little because it is apparent that there was (I can't remember what kind of animal or bug or whatever it was) had eyes, but they had absolutly no function to the organism and were not even able to provide any light spectrum or any spectrum for that matter to the brain. Therefore, technically the organism was blind and had no eyes to see with - however, the way that they moved and handled their environment and moving things and such resulted in the concept of something regarding Ultraviolet sensory. Though this is confusing and I can't remember the details, it also regarded their ability to use supersonic soundwaves via tendrils or tiny hairs on their body.

^ That reminded me of Slenderman's tentrils and perhaps their purpose is also for the sheer sense of detecting things.

Edit: When I was mentioning the Synesthesia, i forgot to mention that it was quite possible a senesthesia by which movement comes off as as a sound wave or a light spectrum would for someone with eyes or ears. Hence a kinda old science topic of seeing sound. (though this concept is also a highly likely one, as the ability to "See sound" is aided by the ability to provide sonic detection and waves like echolocation)

EDIT:

I'm just going to also add this right here:

Also, the concepts that I posted - I'm not sure how accurate or how much sense they make to you (But obviously make sense to me). I had to try and take into consideration a few factors:

1. he has the cabaility to teleport, which means he'd need a fast way of sensing his surroundings. He is a predator and needs the top equipment that his organism-ness needs in order to BE top predator. Ultrasonic concepts are highly taken and likely as he would be able to locate a good spot to teleport to and know in advanced what was there. However, as I am sure he knows, things move - that can also mean his target's moving. So in order to recuperate and quickly know where he was going to have to move in order to continue his hunt/chase, some sort of visual which can interpret and give him an aid on how long ago and or how fast his target was moving.

this allows for epic quick manouvering in which he can get the trail of his target exactly and proceed the chase without another moment of hesitation. I know that most Slenderman vlogs and such that include the Slenderman cannot really interpret this, but in many stories, he is depicted as being quite fast moving. Adding his movement with his teleportation abilities, the best visual and best sensory he can have on where he is and his entire surroundings probably consists of some sort of visual aid "Visual aid" such as the Sound Synesthesia produced by some other part of him - AS WELL AS.... An ultrasonic or ultrasound-based echolocation; both visuals of which are recieved and interpreted to the Slenderman VIA is tendrils....

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give to you, my biggest THEORY on Slenderman. Just a theory.

Last edited by KillstheBeat on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:10 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Doublepost merged.)
Back to top Go down
sethlapod555
Survivor
sethlapod555

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 10:05 am

Packfong wrote:
Tristan's dogs are evil.

Oh.

How can Slenderman see or hear ?  Angry_10
Back to top Go down
DarkShadows
Blackout
DarkShadows

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 6:07 pm

Caedeus wrote:
The concept of Synesthesia is really not entirely defined, as not many people have it nor have experienced it and acknowledge that that may possibly be what their visual interpretation is.

Are you implying that this "seeing sound" ability is an actual visual thing with that? Because I'm thinking maybe it's more like he's actually sculpting a mental picture with the echoes of the ultrasound. That's kind of like what bats do, but Slendy's doing it with a more advanced brain (or what we'd call a functional brain) and is doing it much faster. It's possible he's sending out constant pings, and that's how he "views" the world.

Ever see that film Daredevil? I know this is pretty out there, but the way that the sound-visual scenes were shown there, maybe that's how he sees?

Quote :
Technically the organism was blind and had no eyes to see with - however, the way that they moved and handled their environment and moving things and such resulted in the concept of something regarding Ultraviolet sensory. Though this is confusing and I can't remember the details, it also regarded their ability to use supersonic soundwaves via tendrils or tiny hairs on their body. That reminded me of Slenderman's tentrils and perhaps their purpose is also for the sheer sense of detecting things.

Sure you're not thinking of bees or something? I know bees see in ultraviolet... or it could be with the fur/fuzz, you're thinking of moths?

It may be that Slendy's tendrils serve the dual purpose of sensing ultrasound vibrations, as well as possibly manipulating things. Think about our fingers - they are one of the most sensitive areas on the human body, and we use them to manipulate everything. Slendy's tendrils could also serve this purpose, manipulating objects and gathering sensory info by touch - in other words, when he sends them out, he may NOT be out to kill you - he might just be trying to figure out what in the Hell you are, anyway, why you're making such awful screeching noises, and exactly where you are... well, were. XD

I can even imagine that because I'm stupid and silly: "Oh hi there, what are you? Hey could you stop screaming for five seconds? It's annoying. Now lemmie just... ok, so you're a human, and... hey, are you still awake? ... Dammit, they always black out! >:c"

Quote :
the best visual and best sensory he can have on where he is and his entire surroundings probably consists of some sort of visual aid "Visual aid" such as the Sound Synesthesia produced by some other part of him - AS WELL AS.... An ultrasonic or ultrasound-based echolocation; both visuals of which are recieved and interpreted to the Slenderman VIA is tendrils...

It's a good theory, and it's slowly becoming part of my headcanon...
Back to top Go down
aGamingFish
Anxious
aGamingFish

Current Win Points : 4

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 6:30 pm

These are awesome theories.
I always thought Slendy knows exactly where you are at all points in the past, future and present. He is omniscient, therefore has no need to see or hear. Except maybe for his own enjoyment, when he teleports in front of people, or walks into their house at night. So he could still use the ultrasound vibrations, but for the lolz, more than anything else.. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/GreyPixelFilms?feature=mhee
Packfong
Observer
Packfong

Current Win Points : 8

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:48 pm

sethlapod555 wrote:
Packfong wrote:
Tristan's dogs are evil.

Oh.

How can Slenderman see or hear ?  Angry_10

I'm just joking because I don't have a better answer.
Back to top Go down
Caedeus
Anxious
Caedeus

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 12:10 am

I would quite Darkshadows but it'd be too long XD But yes, those are just my silly little thoughts.

Holy crap though you actually read them. ToT DANKE!
Back to top Go down
DarkShadows
Blackout
DarkShadows

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 12:47 am

Of course I read them Caedeus. I always read things I find interesting. ^w^
Back to top Go down
Mashuga31
Untainted
Mashuga31

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 3:30 am

There are types of insects that, instead of eyes, have little gray spots that visually detect varying levels of light. They more or less see shadows and silhouettes. This may be the same as seeing in ultraviolet though I admit I don't know a whole lot about different forms of sight.

Some depictions of slenderman portray him as not being entirely faceless but instead having sunken in areas for the eyes (much like the header for this site.) It's entirely possible that these visual light detectors are there as well, as they wouldn't be visible against his pale skin.

Though there are problems with this theory, the major one being that this is not the kind of visual aid that is good for a predatory depiction of slenderman. That, and in a lot of writing and vlogs, he comes out exclusively at night, in dark forests. Seeing nothing but variations in brightness wouldn't exactly help him. Most likely he'd be running into trees face first.
Back to top Go down
xyzombie
Taken
xyzombie

Current Win Points : 79

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 10:48 am

Perhaps he doesn't.
Maybe he just smells you.
Or possibly smells you fear.
Back to top Go down
Alder
Observer
Alder

Current Win Points : 99

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 12:58 pm

I'm just throwing it out there but it really doesn't matter. He can sense you because it's scarier that way. He has no discernible sensory organs because it's scarier that way.

He's a narrative device with the sole expressed purpose of freaking us all the fuck out, not a real thing that has to make sense, and as others have said, the fact that he doesn't make sense to us just makes it creepier because it means that he is completely outside of our understanding. Trying to understand him implies that you're trying to get something out of the mythos that really wasn't ever intended to be there. There's other stuff out there if you need your mysteries to have answers. I mean, not to poop on anyone's christmas cake or anything but if you want bread, go to a bakery, don't walk around a hardware store trying to figure out whether or not that angle grinder is wholegrain.

Also, have I missed something or wasn't the entire point that trying to understand him just put you in more and more danger?
Back to top Go down
http://onlysaneman.tumblr.com/
Mashuga31
Untainted
Mashuga31

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 2:19 pm

That last bit is true. ^

But part of the fun of any hypothetical situation (which is pretty much what any and all fiction is) is trying to shed a realistic light on it. It's all creativity and whatnot - adding to our head-canon and mentally debunking any physical impossibilities. Any writer knows inconsistencies break a story. But at the same time, the unexplained can drive the conversation about it.
Back to top Go down
Caedeus
Anxious
Caedeus

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 2:51 pm

I agree with Mashuga on that - yeah it supposedly is supposed to put you in more danger, but I'm not threatened over a massive internet mythos.

the fun for some poeple is putting for theories, but that is all that they are - theories. Just talk of possibility. Putting forth some scietific ideas about something that's no more than a myth makes it more scary to me because then it puts forth some understanding of how it could possibly in a theoretical sense... be real, or work...

Obviously it's not real, but like Mashuga said before, it's part of the fun!

And Mashuga, I really like your idea, because literally last night, I read what I wrote to my friend and we both added that to the theory, and today I pop on to see you posted exactly what I was thinking before!

BRILLIANT!

Though to go along with that theory, it works due to the fact soundwaves and concave areas can interact with one another in that sense to possibly produce some sort of image.

I like the way you think. But yeah, I also don't know a ton about the cool eyesights other organisms have. Animal planet taught me all I know... which... isnt a lot.
Back to top Go down
Alder
Observer
Alder

Current Win Points : 99

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 2:52 pm

Mashuga31 wrote:
That last bit is true. ^

But part of the fun of any hypothetical situation (which is pretty much what any and all fiction is) is trying to shed a realistic light on it. It's all creativity and whatnot - adding to our head-canon and mentally debunking any physical impossibilities. Any writer knows inconsistencies break a story. But at the same time, the unexplained can drive the conversation about it.

And I feel like the realism is absolutely necessary with a slenderverse story, for everything except the Slender Man. The entire point of the decentralised canon and narrative is that accounts contradict one another, that they ARE inconsistent. That's always been part of the scariness, that no story actually has him figured out, that you don't actually KNOW anything and that the mysteries continue to be unanswered. The point is that the Slender Man is inevitable, and any blunting of that stops his potency. New approaches are fine or whatever, but the point is that, at the end of the day, us trying to figure out the slender man is like an ant trying to understand a human in the moments before it gets stomped on. Consensus and codification kind of misses the point of a character whose main selling point is his mystery. Hell, I'd guess that's why people aren't really scared of the Slender Man anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://onlysaneman.tumblr.com/
Caedeus
Anxious
Caedeus

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 3:00 pm

Well of course. We all know that. But there is nothing wrong with us putting forth our theories. It is not like we're going around telling eachother what is and isn't right about the Slender Man.

We are simply discussing theories. Of course he'll never have an actual answer to him. He isn't meant to have an actual answer or solution.
Back to top Go down
Mashuga31
Untainted
Mashuga31

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Alder wrote:
The entire point of the decentralized canon and narrative is that accounts contradict one another, that they ARE inconsistent.
That's not what I meant. Of course different accounts are going to be inconsistent with eachother. Much like how the James Bond movies are inconsistent with each new Bond and director. Everybody gets to put their own take on their own stories and interpretations. You don't have to be consistent with everyone else's stories, but you sure as hell have to be consistent with your own.

For instance - if you establish early on in your ARG or whatever that the Slenderman can enter and exit your home however he pleases, then it wouldn't make sense to later be chased by him and hide in your home under some kind of Slenderman castle clause. Especially if you actually 'were' safe.

Likewise if you establish he has some form of sight or hearing, you kind of have to stick with it. All this discussion is theorizing is "how do I understand my character?" If i'm writing about Slenderman stalking me from across the dinner table, then a part of me has to empathize with him and his senses in order to better understand where I'm going with it. It's no coincidence a lot of pastas and ARGs seem well thought out you know.
Back to top Go down
Caedeus
Anxious
Caedeus

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 3:22 pm

Mashuga31 wrote:
Likewise if you establish he has some form of sight or hearing, you kind of have to stick with it. All this discussion is theorizing is "how do I understand my character?" If i'm writing about Slenderman stalking me from across the dinner table, then a part of me has to empathize with him and his senses in order to better understand where I'm going with it. It's no coincidence a lot of pastas and ARGs seem well thought out you know.

Slenderman: I see that you're having spaghetti again.... You had that last week..... very disappointing.... How can you expect me to eat you if you don't have a well-balanced diet....?..... *static*

^ That is what came to mind
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How can Slenderman see or hear ?    How can Slenderman see or hear ?  Empty

Back to top Go down

How can Slenderman see or hear ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next