Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice?

Go down 
+3
SolfSwagtron
Swallowedglass
Magnus96
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Magnus96
Untainted
Magnus96

Current Win Points : 3

I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice? Empty
PostSubject: I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice?   I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice? EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 4:02 pm

I've never made my own Slender Man mythos series and I plan to. I don't wanna make a video series necessarily, but I would like to make a blog. It seems simple enough but this is my first time so I would like a bit of advice.
Back to top Go down
Swallowedglass
Untainted
Swallowedglass

Current Win Points : 3
Location : Slenderverse Cafeteria, the second table from the left.

I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice? Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice?   I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice? EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 3:37 am

Hah, Northern Darkness is my first blog as well. I'm still laughing at how terrible the first blog entries are, but as anyone can clearly see, the overall quality of the story is better nowadays. And I actually like it how the story progresses, as the terrible first posts definitely make darkn3z seem like a scared teenager, who slowly gets used to weird stuff. But aside from my own blog, I have no experience. I can try to give you advice, but don't blame me if it doesn't work for you...

I'd say the most important thing is to be as original as you can. I don't follow too many slenderseries, but I try to avoid copying anyone else. In my opinion, Rip-offs are boring and kind of have the "you tried..." thing going on. (Please pleaseplease please tell me if ND is accidentally copying someone/something!!)

I'd also say it's important to find out what works for you. Writing according to a strict plan to make it follow the plot without any loopholes didn't work for me, as I tend to change plans all the time without warning. That's why I decided to let the story form by itself, I only have the plot and ending decided, but I write quite freely, and play around with loose ends and characters and practically everything.

Also, about making it seem real: Immersion of reality isn't my first concern, even though the In-game universe is very realistic. I know people like it when series seem completely real and therefore spooky, and here is where I used cultural differences in the story; Finland is a modern country, but not many people (unless Finns themselves) know what it's actually like to live in Finland and do everyday things and such there, and therefore the story may or may not seem more real as it is happening in a country many haven't visited, and people don't have as much knowledge of it. (Of course, there is another Finnish slenderseries, which is far more popular than ND will ever be, but...) (Tea13Time of course) not everyone has the opporturnity to use cultural differences... Realism isn't always the key, but the most popular series are realistic, just take a look at the big three...

Forgive me if my advice sucks, I have very little experience and used only my own opinions and series as an example.

Last edited by Swallowedglass on Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected some typos.)
Back to top Go down
http://dark3z.blogspot.com/
SolfSwagtron
Untainted

Current Win Points : 0

PostSubject: Re: I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice?   I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 6:30 pm

Just wing it, do what makes YOU happy and go from there.

Obviously general advice such as a level of realism, third dimensional characters, and good grammar helps.

I found it best to not try and please everyone as in the end you succeed at pleasing none.

Criticism is a great thing that allows you to get better, so don't feel bad if you do get some.
Back to top Go down
NearTheEnd
Blackout
NearTheEnd

Current Win Points : 217

PostSubject: Re: I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice?   I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 11:01 pm

Explore new things! Take the walls of what Slenderman is supposed to be and CRASH THEM DOWN. Why do we continue to write slenderman the same way over and over and over again?! Because familiarity. Continuity. Because if we don't, people will get ~super mad~ or whatever. Man, screw them. Take this story, make it about you. Not the readers. Get the story YOU want out, out. 
Also, don't be afraid to destroy. People are so willing to create stories but not destroy them. What I mean by that is, you have to accept the flaws of your writing. Hell, even IN THE WRITING ITSELF, the characters have flaws. I mean, they're supposed to be like real people! Make outside things, even themselves, find those flaws, bring them to light, and deal with them.
I'm rambling. I'm sorry. I think this is the fear mythos in me talking.
Back to top Go down
http://rach-quit.tumblr.com
Peppercorn
Anxious
Peppercorn

Current Win Points : 24

PostSubject: Re: I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice?   I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice? EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 11:13 pm

Come up with what scares or intrigues you most about the mythos, and use that to build your own interpretation of it. Really, the only "rule" the Slender Man should have is the kind of atmosphere that the best series create, which can be done without limiting your perspective on what the character can be.

This is the Original Mythos in me talking.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/LaPeppercorn
PointlessTest
Observer

Current Win Points : 59

PostSubject: Re: I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice?   I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice? EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 10:07 am

-

Last edited by PointlessTest on Sat May 25, 2019 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheApertureIncident
Anxious
TheApertureIncident

Current Win Points : 18

PostSubject: Re: I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice?   I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice? EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 1:13 am

If you bring in props or maybe a scene where you get a note from a strange source, always remember this: Secret codes and numbers will start people feverishly decoding it. Binary, Caeser cipher, pig pen cipher. Atbash cipher, I could go on. Secret codes are great, and numbers are great. 

Maybe throw something in that has nothing to do with the story to throw people off. That's called a red herring, and at some point, people will realize the trail ran cold with this clue. Sometimes when it's a little too late.

Be realistic with posting times. Sometimes, maybe wait a bit for authenticity. Post one time in the middle of the week, "Yeah, everything's ok, nothing spooky." and then that weekend night? BAM, something bad happens. 

And, if you ever feel the need to post a video with your blog post, or ever start a series entirely using vlogs, this is important. Treat the camera like a character; that little buddy has to have a reason to be there! Whether as a filler episode or a big event is happening. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice?   I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice? Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm considering starting my own Slender Man mythos Blog, could I have some advice?
Page 1 of 1