Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Hello there, and welcome to Slender Nation. Before you begin posting, we require that you read our rules so that you understand what standards are required of you during your stay here. Thank you, and have a good day.

-The Slender Nation Staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomepageHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trial of Leaves: Justin
TribeTwelve: Bridge to Nowhere
Dark Harvest: Log Entry #33
Joined a Slender Nation House yet? Click the colored parts of the shield on the right to see the Houses!

Entry 33 Discussion

Go down 
+29
LikeADrunkButNot
Hither-Thither
SydRyan
Ms.Taken
TheVman22
LuciaInFurs
taylortexas
Erratic
Empty
Nedark
QhaoticZombie
Thage the Minithulu
SickSlickMan
BlackWolf
Glomple
gryugglpuff31
bilo
Omega
Harlan Phoenix
LisaEvermore
Zander
WhiteWolf
future
Broeckchen
Sachael
Alice
DaLadybugMan
Laughing Mask
The Doctor
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 8:28 pm

Empty wrote:
Detective wrote:
No double posting, please. *merges posts*

Also, I think you meant "Jessica is a Masky," not "Jessica is the Masky," because the Masky we see here is clearly not female.
Or is he?
Pronoun fail. Although you have to admit, this Masky is not built at all like the willowy girl we know as Jessica.
Back to top Go down
Ms.Taken
Untainted
Ms.Taken

Current Win Points : 4

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 9:29 pm

I am sad to say that because slender man scared so much shit out of me, I haven't watched any new videos since entry 26, just watched entry 33 today because I was interested. Doesn't scare me as much anymore but hey I got to get over my fear of scary things!!
Back to top Go down
SydRyan
Untainted
SydRyan

Current Win Points : 7

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 9:55 pm

I have officially given up on all other Slender vlogs, besides for MH. All the others just are .....not good.
Back to top Go down
Hither-Thither
Observer
Hither-Thither

Current Win Points : 89

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 9:56 pm

Wait wait wait wait wait wait.

Did Masky just try to SLAP Jay? XD
Back to top Go down
http://dragonlvrgyrl.deviantart.com

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 9:57 pm

SydRyan wrote:
I have officially given up on all other Slender vlogs, besides for MH. All the others just are .....not good.

Thank you, thank you, and... THANK YOU!

You're absolutely right about this, none of the others are any good.

However, you have to admit, Troy has an unfair advantage because he's a film student... XD
Back to top Go down
Ms.Taken
Untainted
Ms.Taken

Current Win Points : 4

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 10:00 pm

I noticed that masky was unfimilnary rounder in this one. Like his jacket made him so much Fatter!!! Fatter Gah.
Back to top Go down
Erratic
Observer

Current Win Points : 66

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 10:35 pm

Is it bad that I now want a plushie of Masky with HUMONGEROUS SIDEBURNS?

I think it is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 10:36 pm

Erratic wrote:
Is it bad that I now want a plushie of Masky with HUMONGEROUS SIDEBURNS?

I think it is.

That's not bad at all! I'd buy one.
Back to top Go down
Broeckchen
Observer
Broeckchen

Current Win Points : 176

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 11:15 pm

I'm not quite in on that "all the other ones are no good" thing. You sound a bit like old nostalgic grandpas when you talk like that. ö.ö°
I don't know about TribeTwelve and EMH, as I haven't watched them yet, but I think for instance that The Angels Game (Or theoriginalaliendude?) was made pretty well. For example they feature footage of a person while that person has memory lapses, and while that's sometimes a little bit narm-ish, it shows perfectly well how sneaky the lapses are. And the protagonists are not total genre-victims who go to strange places they were invited to by anonymous people by night.
Back to top Go down
http://broeckchen.deviantart.com

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 11:17 pm

Broeckchen wrote:
You sound a bit like old nostalgic grandpas when you talk like that. ö.ö°

I lol'd. Hard.

Honestly, there really isn't anything extremely good about any of the others. I invite anyone to try and prove me wrong.
Back to top Go down
BlackWolf
Watched
BlackWolf

Current Win Points : 99

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 11:36 pm

Hither-Thither wrote:
Wait wait wait wait wait wait.

Did Masky just try to SLAP Jay? XD

Just made me think of that.
Back to top Go down
Broeckchen
Observer
Broeckchen

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 11:42 pm

You can't prove an opinion wrong, Judge. Unless it's something like "All Gypsies are EVIL(tm)!!" - Oh... wait... Uh... LOOK, over there! A distraction! *flees*
Back to top Go down
Glomple
Untainted
Glomple

Current Win Points : 18

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 11:52 pm

Harlan Phoenix wrote:
Glomple wrote:
But the camera distorts the same way it does around Slendy.

This could mean a few things:

1. Slendy's around
2. Masky is turning into Slendy v2
3. Masky is part of Slendy

And probably some others. But if 2 or 3 is correct, then Masky is definitely malevolent. He was about to attack J in this entry after all, but he got beaned with the Maglite. Razz

I like how Masky's solution to every problem is tackling it to the fucking ground.

*J picks up sandwich*
MASKY TACKLE
*J opens door*
MASKY TACKLE
*J wakes up*
MASKY TACKLE
*J blinks*
MASKY TACKLE
Back to top Go down
Omega
Blackout
Omega

Current Win Points : 481

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 11:59 pm

Judge Claude Frollo wrote:
Broeckchen wrote:

I lol'd. Hard.

Honestly, there really isn't anything extremely good about any of the others. I invite anyone to try and prove me wrong.

EMH has cooler memes than MH.
Ergo, it is superior.
8)
Back to top Go down
http://slenderia.blogspot.com/
Sachael
Watched
Sachael

Current Win Points : 179

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:21 am

Marble Hornets is still the best, but EMH and TT have enough good points
to keep me interested.

I enjoy EMH's sense of humor, more dynamic characters, and increased interactivity. Their effects aren't too bad either.

TT was abysmal at first but they've improved significantly and shown that they can do the creepytimes with the best of 'em. I just wish Noah wasn't angry!Jay.

I tried to get into Angel's Game and Dark Harvest, but they just haven't done anything to really stand out yet. And the whole slendy-blogosphere is mostly a pile of shit with a few diamonds buried in it.
Back to top Go down
Alice
Anxious
Alice

Current Win Points : 193

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 2:09 am

Alice is late to the thread, damning life and college conspiring to keep me off the internet.

Broeckchen wrote:

1.) Why didn't the operator appear in person? He wasn't ashamed of personally coming to Jay before, so why isn't he there now?
2.) Why do the distortions appear, though? (Shamelessly stolen from Glomples post)
3.) Who [s]WAS PHONE[/s] took Jessica away? Did she [s]MAKE MOVE NOW[/s] go out of her own free will?
3.1.) If Jessica went alone, why did she do it? Did she know something Jay didn't?
4.) Might the coughing be a red herring or something completeley else? Did Alex and his girlfriend cough in the last entry of s1?

And then there's one more thing. We have never seen Masky and the Operator together.

1. I think Slends went after Jessica, so he might have been "moving" her/controlling her to leave the room while Masky and Jay duked it out? Do we know if he can be two places at once?
2. Could the distortion indicate he was controlling Masky at the same time?
3. I don't think she went of her own free will; why would she ask all the questions to vanish? Unless she couldn't handle the trut, I mean, unless she didn't really want to learn the answers, ignorance is bliss, all that...
4. I think she's fairly clueless. She might not even know what an Operator is. Maybe she didn't want to stick around to find out?
5. I think coughing is a prelude to mind control, memory loss, etc. Like different stages of the same illness. First the fever, then the buboes, then death, if we can relate Slendersickness to the bubonic plague. Still, I think you keep the fever and if it's an accurate comparison, everyone should still be coughing. Maybe the creators took the "omg it's a guy coughing SO SPOOKY" backlash to heart?

Broeckchen wrote:
A friend of mine developed the theory that Masky is actually not after Jay, but after the Operator - I say, he might even be after the tapes instead. Obviously Masky was in Jays house, and vanished together with him. But - and now comes the strange part - he didn't appear on the footage of Jay in the time Jay wasn't in his bed. Is Masky totheark and filmed that footage? That would raise another question nobody ever effing thinks about: Why did the Operator just totally ignore Jay and come over to the camera instead?

I also suspect Jay could be a secondary victim in the Operator vs. Masky battle. I have a theory that the Operator won't kill anyone working on anything related to him, spreading the legend that feeds him, or won't kill anyone who thinks they cannot stop him. Never once does Jay say anything about "killing the dude in the suit" nor did Alex do anything other than get sick and tape him. When Alex goes away peacefully, the Operator stops bothering him for three years. But when his girlfriend reminds him he hasn't filmed or done anything spread the myth, the Operator shows up with the dual purpose of attacking Alex and inspiring Jay not to quit as he previously planned.

As for how Masky is surviving all this, the Operator still thinks he's useful in some way. Obviously he can control Masky to some extent, even if he's occasionally rebelling and "saving"/stopping Jay at points. Maybe he even wants Masky to give Jay a reason to keep posting. If Jay thinks he's safe, he will undoubtedly stop.

But that's just my two cents. I'm probably wrong.

And going with the current flow of the thread, never seen Tribe Twelve. I preferred EMH when I thought Marble Hornets was more poorly-plotted but this entry showed me the plot is superior, even if Jay, Masky, Alex and Jessica have less-defining characterization.
Back to top Go down
http://holisticalice.livejournal.com/51505.html
DaLadybugMan
Blackout
DaLadybugMan

Current Win Points : 488

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 2:59 am

Omega wrote:
Broeckchen wrote:

I lol'd. Hard.

EMH has cooler memes than MH.
Ergo, it is superior.
8)

But WHY DO THEY MAKE MEME NOW?

Eh, I've personally never been too fond of EMH. It's not bad, it's just...I can't get into the ARG aspect (I feel too excluded and unable to participate), and Evan's the only character who's not annoying and whiny (i.e. Jeff) or useless (i.e. Vince, who I don't remember doing anything since the "self-defence" video). But hey, to each his own. I mean, TT also has major problems, mainly with being derivative (for example, the whole "My Grandpa Karl video was more or less lifted entirely from a SA post). But it seems like it has the atmosphere that keeps the story scary.
Back to top Go down
http://slenderbloggins.net
Broeckchen
Observer
Broeckchen

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 3:08 am

Winpoint for that, Andy. ^^

Quote :
Alice is late to the thread, damning life and college conspiring to keep me off the internet.

Yeah, how dare you have a real life! Tsk, u so silly.
Back to top Go down
Zander
Survivor
Zander

Current Win Points : 640

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 3:20 am

QhaoticZombie wrote:
Ha ha, when I saw that hand I was like "OH FUCK JAY, TURN AROUND."
I shat bricks.

The Doctor wrote:
Actually, My first thought was that it was Jessica. Jay would open the door, and BAMMASKYJESSICA!!! I am glad, however, that it was Timasky. The series is going to bring back some footage, which is also a plus. I'm gonna take a stab at it:

The first video we see will be something from TTA. The tapes following will consist of footage from Alex's camera after the woman found it. Eventually, Jay will find out where Alex is, they will reunite, a chior will sing, and then they will both confront Slenderman.

CASE CLOSED
I thought it was Jessica too. I was thinking she was gonna knock him out or something.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 7:50 am

Broeckchen wrote:
You can't prove an opinion wrong, Judge. Unless it's something like "All Gypsies are EVIL(tm)!!" - Oh... wait... Uh... LOOK, over there! A distraction! *flees*

Bravo to you for lulz and sense. Winpoints are being given.
Back to top Go down
Harlan Phoenix
Untainted
Harlan Phoenix

Current Win Points : 33

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:04 am

Broeckchen wrote:

I lol'd. Hard.

I do think a major damage to my own personal Slender fandom was, well, ENTERING Slender fandom. You guys are nice so so far I don't regret it, but I did get a little bruised by actually experiencing how people react to these things.

You know what I love about EverymanHYBRID, and to a similar extent Angel's Game? It's viciously character driven. And you can argue until you're blue in the face about how WELL it does this (I could easily find arguments for one way or the other), but after coming off of something like Marble Hornets...the immediate response this team devised was to go the complete OPPOSITE extreme and establish an ensemble. AND THAT'S INTERESTING.

I suppose I should back up a bit, though. I don't really watch Slendervlogs to be scared. I mean, I like horror. I LOVE Halloween and, to a lesser extent, Hellraiser. I think a lot about the slasher genre as a concept or phenomenon is fascinating. But overall...I don't see the appeal of Slenderman as simply a figure that can scare you. Him BEING scary is probably an important crux of his character...but the stories being scary isn't what hooks me.

I love, though, that Slenderman is...a living example of the mythic character. Or rather, a character from that mold of antiquity. That olden time where people around the campfire talked about the likes of Beowulf and Gilgamesh. I've always wanted to be a writer, and there's something about that bygone era that's always fascinated me. To a lesser degree, we can also include stuff like a LOT of theatre (from Greek and Roman onward) in that equation...this nebulous period where writers WROTE mythology. Because things like copyright didn't, like, exist back then. And don't get me wrong, I love copyright. Intellectual property is obviously, like, important. But there's something fascinating about characters like Gilgamesh (who will always remain my favorite character of anything of all time), who can get that core essence of his being tweaked and modified by every single person who wants to either relay his story or dramatize it.

And that's what Slenderman is. At least to me. That lost era of Roman theater or Mesopotamian oral storytelling where characters are nebulous IDEAS; broken down, distilled, expanded on and what have you to an individual's will. Never to the exact same degree, but always familiar and different all at the same time. Finding two Slendervlogs is akin to seeing different manuscripts of He Who Saw the Deep, or maybe a Gnostic spin on events found in a synoptic Gospel.

And then I saw actual fandom for the Slenderman Mythos and...

...I was kind of disappointed.

HOW CAN NOBODY APPRECIATE THIS FOR WHAT IT IS? We literally have the primordial method of storytelling filtered through the prism of Web 2.0...and NOBODY APPRECIATES THAT. It's all about, to some extent, what vlogs copy other vlogs or some load. Or vlogs that might have neat ideas are considered shitty and not given time for some reason. I dunno. Maybe I'm huttburt over vlogs not being liked.

So that contextualizes things a little bit, and I can finally actually answer your question.

One thing I love about EverymanHYBRID is the fact it just IMMEDIATELY busted out of the Marble Hornets mold and it presented the exact opposite extreme in terms of character dynamics. Jay is a lone ranger trying to solve a mystery, Vince and co. are an ensemble trying to survive an otherworldly menace. Ignoring my own theories of how EverymanHYBRID works as a universe, this is a pretty interesting premise all on its own. And you know, generally? It pretty much fulfills what it promises. I think the characters are interesting. The one thing I like about the "Alternate Reality Game" motif a lot of vlogs take is on full display here: in what I'd have to assume are retroscripted scenarios with characters based on their actual personalities. Which is what makes things work, I think. Because nothing about the characters is particularly DEEP, but they flow naturally and work off each other in an entertaining way.

And I like that it's willing to break out of Slenderman being the primary antagonist. As much as I wish he was, you know, relevant to the video fiction, I do really enjoy HABIT as a character. I think the Rake is an interesting and worthwhile addition to the story. HYBRID has a tendency to be a bit convoluted and I have a tough time occasionally following it...I LOVE what it's doing. It's presenting such a drastic extreme to what else is going on that it's a perfect analytical piece that someone can use to figure out exactly where THEY should go. It's so ambitious that it's flaws serve as USEFUL TOOLS. "Okay, I like this, but I don't like this, so I won't try that..." Even if you don't want to ever pen a work in the Slenderman Mythos, I still think that the very fact these works are SO new that these flaws serve as fascinating examples of a writing phenomenon trying to find its footing. In some way, the flaws are STILL APPEALING. They're tangible examples of this freeform campfire mythos trying to take form.

And I call bullshit on Tribe Twelve being derivative. Or at least, I call bullshit on this being bad. But again, different perspectives. One thing I love about Tribe Twelve is being that distilled Marble Hornets format but trying to throw different elements into it. And in a young mythos like this, there's nothing particularly wrong with borrowing from your peers as long as it fits what you ultimately want to do. After all, nobody bitches about Romeo and Juliet being a giant copy of Romeus and Juliet (which, despite its differences, it is). Nobody except for completely backwards fanboys complains about the similarities between Catwoman and Black Cat (and to that similar degree, the similarity between Namor the Sub-Mariner and Aquaman). There's nothing wrong with a mythos based on a public domain character borrowing and implementing common elements in order to make different stories work (or are you still busy hating Superman for his resemblance to characters like Heracles?) because...how else is this supposed to grow? Be TOO original for the sake of originality and you risk being so different that the core identity of your mythos is gone (then why bother WRITING a Slenderstory?). Be TOO reliant on peer fiction and you're just boring. Noah's arc is unique (though I would, gleefully, describe it as archetypal) and uses particular elements and structures that're similar to us.

Even if you don't find the story personally interesting like I do...well, that's just personal preference and nobody can change your mind. And that's perfectly fine. But there's a lot of fascinating things about Tribe Twelve on a metafictional level, especially as its a strong middle ground between Marble Hornets and EverymanHYBRID. It IS a very significant work in this mythos because of the fact it tries to tell a new story in a somewhat similar format. It's the Romeo to Marble Hornet's Romeus (note: this comparison does not try to compare Slendervlogs to Shakespeare or vice versa): operating in the familiar but taking note of how this whole thing WORKS to attempt to do something different. It doesn't HAVE to break the mold. Sometimes, someone just wants to tell a story because he loves the material. And you know, I can appreciate that and enjoy it on that level beyond the fact I just think it's a genuinely interesting story on its own merit.

But that's why I like the vlogs. Development of a mythos, recreation of an ancient storytelling mode through Web 2.0, etc.

Also Angel's Game is rad, but I've typed so much that I'm bored now and want to watch WITCH. But Alana is the best Slenderman Mythos character ever.

Back to top Go down
Omega
Blackout
Omega

Current Win Points : 481

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:36 am

Harlan Phoenix wrote:
Several paragraphs of awesome.

What he said. Every word of it.

EDIT: Except for the Alana part, as I am much too busy fanboying over Evan. Also my internet sucks so I don't get to keep up with Angel's Game as much as I'd like.

P.S. You are now my new favorite Slenderfriend.
Back to top Go down
http://slenderia.blogspot.com/
LikeADrunkButNot
Untainted
LikeADrunkButNot

Current Win Points : 0

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 11:28 am

Ahhh, I looooved that! Finally, something exciting! I'm such a wimp, I covered my face out of horror when Masky came running in. But I love himmmm. <3
Back to top Go down
DaLadybugMan
Blackout
DaLadybugMan

Current Win Points : 488

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Hey, I appreciate what's going on. I mean, we're essentially creating a new boogeyman. A new Bigfoot. A new Baba Yaga. It's the first piece of folklore to come from the internet. It's so sad how people don't seem to know how to handle it right.

Andy
Back to top Go down
http://slenderbloggins.net
Shannon
Untainted
Shannon

Current Win Points : 6

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 1:51 pm

I feel like I'm sooooo late dudes, HOW DID I MISS THIS.
IT WAS BEAUTIFUL.
I WAS FREAKING OUT.
CANNOT WAIT FOR THE TAPES.
AGHJSGDJHGFJSGD

Maybe Masky can talk but doesn't because... of a reason... Maybe Slendy can only attack when the victim's fears are voiced? Like they say "man, this is creepy."
Okay, lame idea, but it might be similar to what's really going on?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Entry 33 Discussion   Entry 33 Discussion - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Entry 33 Discussion
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next